Question replacing 1927 Vaporizer Carb

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dave_Kriegel
First Name: David
Last Name: Kriegel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 1926
MTFCA Number: 52627
Board Member Since: 1999

Question replacing 1927 Vaporizer Carb

Post by Dave_Kriegel » Tue May 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Story I bought one of the last Model T's made. It has the vaporizer carb Long story, the seller started it right up. Me NO failure to start and run . SO I need to learn to clean and adjust this new piece of technology so I can start it and drive with my 13 year old grandson. Basically fuel starvation The other simple fast solution is I have a new intake and new carb . Can I just disconnect the vaporizer from the exhaust and put on a normal carb intake set up or is there more to it such as different carb throttle controls etc

Jack Putnam, in Ohio
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Putnam
MTFCA Number: 13833
MTFCI Number: 13353

Re: Question replacing 1927 Vaporizer Carb

Post by Jack Putnam, in Ohio » Tue May 18, 2021 5:02 pm

To eliminate the vaporizer you will need new manifolds, intake and exhaust. You will have to change the carb linkage and knock a hole in the block for a carb rod. Also you will have to change the throttle controls on the steering shaft. It would be much simpler to learn how the vaporize works. They do work fine. I have run one for 36 years with no problems. To start the car you will have to choke the engine a bit longer that what you may be use to. It is a long way from the fuel bowl to the intake manifold. You have to suck fuel a long distance for start up.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue May 18, 2021 5:06 pm

You need an earlier set up. exh manifold, intake & carb. Throttle linkage runs between # 2 & 3 cyls. If you look closely, you should see a square area that is to be punched/drilled out. An earlier valve cover with the hole. From what I have heard, you are in for a performance improvement with the earlier set up.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Tue May 18, 2021 5:23 pm

I converted my’ 27 to a Holley years back. The first thing I’d do is look at the spot between # 2 & 3 cylinders. The hole might already be in the block. Mine was. Also the valve cover had the hole in it too but the gasket didn’t. Don’t recall the linkage being a problem either. Definitely doable.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic