When Are Coil Points No Longer Usable?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

When Are Coil Points No Longer Usable?

Post by MichaelPawelek » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:49 pm

Over the years from spare parts received along with Model T purchases I have acquired approx. 30 sets of coil points I assume are used as they have minor surface rust and are not in retail packaging. With a micrometer to measure is there a minimum thickness of the points where they are no longer usable?

I do not know whether to throw them out or give to someone new to the hobby or a tiny bit short of money at the present time. I realize these are consumable parts but hate to get rid of something that might be usable to someone. I will never use this many in 5 lifetimes if they measure good. Thanks….

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: When Are Coil Points No Longer Usable?

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:08 pm

Used points can often be refurbished with an oilstone or a small, high quality file. There are a number of problems they can develop besides the condition of the actual contact points, but a great many used points sets can be made to work well by dressing the contact points. As far as I know, if there is enough of the platinum contacts left to allow dressing the contact faces smooth and leave about 1/32" or more of material, the points will work satisfactorily if the other parts of the set are in good condition. Some variation in spring tension, alignment, etc can be accommodated with careful adjustment and the right test equipment. I wouldn't throw them away.
Last edited by TXGOAT2 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 pm

When the contacts are pitted, worn or there is too much corrosion between the cushion and bridge, or the cushion no longer moves, or the points have been filed too often or not straight across. Toss them. Ya, I have a box full of them that I am hording! :lol:
If they just have a little rust and would clean up, that's different. Sure, they are consumable, but 4 sets can add up real fast.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:45 pm

When I inherited my Grandfathers 24 Coupe that I have over 60 years ago boxes of used parts came along with it. Among them was boxes of coils and a smaller box of points. He saved most of what he thought were good used parts.
Most of the points weren’t worn very much if at all. I still have some of them.
But I went ahead and bought new points because I could when I rebuilt some of the better coils he had saved.
Nowadays I still save good T parts as long as they are usable.
Points are still good as long as they have good flat surfaces and can be cleaned up pretty good with care and a good point file.

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 pm

John,
I am in the process of referring a bunch of coils for some testing that I am doing.

I use wet/dry sandpaper wet with water and a course then a fine on top of a piece of glass. I heard of people using diamond hone and having good success (see this webpage for an example: https://www.grainger.com/product/3KT18? ... lsrc=aw.ds).

I have found the points are only one issue. More likely the nuts, studs, and place where the nuts/studs contact the points need to be cleaned. I wire wheel all of that. I have heard others have success with sand blasting that.

Matt

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:47 pm

Yes sometimes the coils just need a good cleanup. I have noticed the fine thread screws and nuts have a copperish type of coating on them. Or at least that’s what they had once when new and over time they lose that and start rusting. That’s what I think anyway.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 am

Even totally unusable ones have value. I use the brass top piece as key fobs on many of the keys I have, with my mobile phone number engraved on them. Those same pieces yield two brass washers when the mounting holes are cut off the ends. These are really handy when assembling points onto coils which have recesses in the wood tops from repeated fitting of points in the past. Just place one under each of the tubular spacers to restore the point to the correct height.

Allan from down under.

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:21 am

I have a suspicion that the hard material does not extend all the way down to the steel/brass backing. I have found that very thin points I have smoothed and polished can rapidly deteriorate and become burnt.

Can anyone confirm or contradict that?

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:02 am

I don't have any "official" information on whether the points are of composite construction or not, but I doubt it. I don't think it would be worthwhile, and the Ford service book does not mention it when addressing point refurbishment. Rapid point deterioration is often due to contamination, an off-spec capacitor, or high current draw due to improper adjustment or other factors. A soft file or oily stone might leave material on the points, which could lead to burning. Ambient dust or oil fumes can also shorten point life.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm

A Montana 500 Guru introduced me to the EZ lap diamond hone (fine) for refurbishing dirty/worn coil point contacts. This hone is readily available, inexpensive (<$10) and think it works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-LF-Fine- ... 158&sr=8-4
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic