Mel Miller Bio?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RonGlowczewski
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Glowczewski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925

Mel Miller Bio?

Post by RonGlowczewski » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:51 am

I just picked up a set of Roadster body wood plans drawn up by Mel Miller and would love to know more about him. He is going to be saving me quite a bit of money and headache from beyond the grave.

Anybody have a biography of this guy? How old was he when he passed? What did he do for a living? What motivated him to make these plans? Did he make plans for every Model T body style? Was he the first to draw up wood restoration plans? Anyone have a picture of him?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Mel Miller Bio?

Post by John kuehn » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:47 am

I bought a set of Mel Millers T Roadster body plans in the 70’s when he was still alive. He drew up plans for Model T Roadster and Touring body wood for the 14-25 T open cars. Others may know for sure but he only did open cars and no closed cars.

Over time Leon Parker followed up or improved his plans and sold them at swap meets.
At Mr Parker’s death all the plans he had supposedly were sold and pretty much have disappeared from the public. Attempts have been made to find out who bought them and if they would be sold to restorers and still remains to be a “supposed mystery”.

The truth is out there somewhere!

Others may add to this conversation I’m sure!

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:04 am

Quite possibly residing in a barn in Iowa with every other part for a T which can no longer be purchased.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Atomic Amish
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Kuczynski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915ish speedster in parts, building a T V8 roadster pickup for support vehicle
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Atomic Amish » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:50 am

I've been trying to find a set for a 15-23 style roadster off and on for a couple years, but always dead ends.

We have all the sheet metal, but only 1 or two pieces of wood, like the sill rails. Pretty much need to start from scratch, and those plans would be the bee's knees! Congrats on scoring a set!

v/r,
jason
My other car is an Amish Drag Buggy.
Barnstormers VSC
Si vestri 'non prius novissimo
Celeritate Est Vita
Antique Vehicle Mechanic- Greenfield Village

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:53 am

For while Mel’s daughter was selling his plans. That was a few years ago.

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:02 pm

The wood kits sold by Classic Wood in Greensboro are very close to Miller plans. At least my touring kit was.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:07 pm

I'll take a look-see Jason - I have some of his plans just not sure which ones.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/default.htm

Go to the cimorelli website and you can see some of Mel Millers wood plans. Also there is other information about restoring Model T’s.

Classic wood And Fordwood has T wood kits. Fordwood has online drawings of the body structure to give you an idea of how the body wood would look besides information about wood body details.

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:09 am

Mel Miller spent some time in the movie industry he was in Hawaii 50 as Dano's double, whenever there was a fight scene or rolling in the mud that was Mel not Dano. He was also in a movie with Elliot Gould and Candice Bergen in GETTING STRAIGHT, he was a bartender and said about a dozen words in the movie. He lived in Albany Oregon until the end of his life. I had visited Mel several times and we talked for hours, and he would tell me about his movie parts in Hawaii where he lived and drove his Model T to the studio. I have a copy of the home video GETTING STRAIGHT. Dano was James Mc Arthur and he was a twin to Mel. Unfortunately, alcohol was Mel's weakness, and it took his life. At the time of the movie Mel was headlines in the local Albany newspaper having a speaking part in the movie. I spoke with his daughter, and she was going to have some prints made from the masters however it did not materialize.

Topic author
RonGlowczewski
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Glowczewski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925

Post by RonGlowczewski » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:21 am

Altair wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:09 am
Mel Miller spent some time in the movie industry he was in Hawaii 50 as Dano's double, whenever there was a fight scene or rolling in the mud that was Mel not Dano. He was also in a movie with Elliot Gould and Candice Bergen in GETTING STRAIGHT, he was a bartender and said about a dozen words in the movie. He lived in Albany Oregon until the end of his life. I had visited Mel several times and we talked for hours, and he would tell me about his movie parts in Hawaii where he lived and drove his Model T to the studio. I have a copy of the home video GETTING STRAIGHT. Dano was James Mc Arthur and he was a twin to Mel. Unfortunately, alcohol was Mel's weakness, and it took his life. At the time of the movie Mel was headlines in the local Albany newspaper having a speaking part in the movie. I spoke with his daughter, and she was going to have some prints made from the masters however it did not materialize.
Thank you very much for the information!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic