LED headlight faint flicker.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686
Board Member Since: 2005

LED headlight faint flicker.

Post by noelchico » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:05 pm

Rather than tacking this onto the other LED thread, I just have a question. I noticed tonight with the 1920 roadster running in a dark garage that there is a very faint, barely perceptible flicker from my LED headlight bulbs with the light switch turned off. This seems to coincide with engine RPM. I notice it in both bulbs, on magneto or on battery. It is too faint to see in the daylight. Is there a potential short or is current being generated in the circuit from an adjacent wire?
The car runs fine.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: LED headlight faint flicker.

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 pm

Some times LED bulbs will glow for a few seconds and gradually dim. Does it stay on all the time when the switch is off? If so, you must have a high resistance connection to the battery when the switch is off. Maybe something in the switch has graphite or some other conductive substance on it.
Norm

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:19 pm

I'm guessing your LED lighting is responding to energy radiated by the ignition system or the magneto. Either that, or your light switch has some metal dust in it that allows a very slight leakage of power between the switch terminals as Norm suggested.

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:53 am

LEDs can be very sensitive to small currents that are being "thrown around" by the flywheel magneto, that is also the reason that a digital multimeter is almost useless when working on a Ts electrical system, and an old analog meter works best. The flywheel magneto was a great idea in its time but todays fine electronics have a hard time dealing with the rather crude and unrefined way of generating electric current in Henry's model T.
It sometimes helps to solder a small resistor in the system as a kind of ballast to quench those unwanted flickers in the LEDs
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:27 am

Yes. Mine flickered while running. It drove me crazy. I was told that it was interference from the coils. I took them out and went with magneto bulbs.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:59 am

The magneto while running puts out such a field that an AM radio within 100' will have static. It doesn't happen with the engine off, even with a radio very close to the car.
Norm

greenacres36
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor, 1915 Runabout

Post by greenacres36 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:10 am

I have had a fluorescent drop light flicker on when it’s not even plugged in if the engine is running. It makes me wonder if that’s why Henry didn’t put radios in the model T. The flywheel magneto would’ve made it impossible to get any reception. L O L.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:22 am

I believe the ignition would be more likely than the magneto to make the lights flicker.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:53 am

Probably not related but here goes. I have LED's all around. Headlights, running lights and brake light. The tail light bulb has two contacts, one for running and one for brake. I believe internally there is something that just makes the LED's brighter when power is applied to the brake terminal. My issue was when I applied the brake, the headlights would come on dimly. Following a suggestion from a fellow who has dealt with this problem before, I installed diodes in both the brake and running light circuits (at the rear lamp), so a back feed could not occur. Problem solved.

If you have something that is normally powered on when the engine is running, is there a possible source of a similar back feed?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:03 pm

Noel,

There are a couple of likely explanations for the phenomenon you're experiencing.

(1) LED's are a diode, and diodes will rectify. Consider that when you apply an aerial to a 'crystal set' you typically use a diode to 'convert' a nearby radio signal (RF) into an audio output (AF) that you can listen to.

Model T's produce RF. The wire running from the lamp back to the switch (along with the connection to ground) will act as an aerial of sorts and pickup some of the RF, and the LED's could be simply responding to that.

(2) LED's are a low current device. If you have a leakage resistance, even if it's quite high, in your switch or somewhere in the lighting circuit it could well be enough to light LED's, but not incandescent bulbs. Even without a leakage per se the low current nature of LED's is another reason why they might respond to nearby RF, even if that's fairly low power.

LED's will also respond to changes in supply much more quickly than incandescent bulbs, therefore you could expect to see a 'flicker' if the LED was being intermittently supplied by RF from the coils. If this were the case I'd expect the flicker to change frequency with engine revs.

If it's a problem to you it may be easy to address with a capacitor from the high side of the LED to earth. I'd start with something like a 0.1uf and see if that made a difference. Some 'fault-finding' and/or experimentation may be required, but it's fairly simple stuff and could entertain you for a morning I guess.

Luke.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:09 pm

I think they are hollering, "Get me out of here. I don't belong in this outdated contraption!"' :D :D

Allan from down under.

Topic author
noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by noelchico » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:24 pm

I don't think it's a problem, as the car runs well. I only noticed it in the dark garage at night. I thought my lenses were vibrating and reflecting light until I looked closer. :D

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 pm

Noel, recently I had my 11 in my shop for maintenance, anyway when I went to start it the first 1 coil buzzed and the volume on the 1980's boom box in my shop went to wide open, something it's never done before.
Another thing I've noticed is cows and horses reacting when driving by with a T running on coils. There is definitely stray voltage.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:40 pm

I think you need to SEE a doctor.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:52 am

Aliens may be nesting in the coil box. Like fire ants, tiny Aliens are attracted to electromagnetic radiation. Of course, cows and horses have always been hyper-sensitive to Aliens.

Gen3AntiqueAuto
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Foye
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Fordor, 15 speedster (2), 23 touring, 26 fordor, 25 TT
MTFCA Number: 292
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 106
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Gen3AntiqueAuto » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 pm

The "modern car" led headlights I sell have extra circuitry to stop the flickering. LED's are just diodes and they are switching on and off at an insane pace. I know this information won't help you with the T bulbs but it's a real thing. Here's the link if you want to see what the bulbs are all about and what is missing from the cheaper ones. I TRIED to get them to make a set for Model T's but they were not interested.

https://www.auxito.com/discount/WTD?ref=sG3Pbc_5Dh__Hy
Gen III Antique Auto - we do Model T Ford Restorations

You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want -Zig Z.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeROBg ... pB-KImprjw

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:50 pm

Tim,

I followed the link you posted. It did not offer any explanation of componentry used in those lamps that might prevent the flickering Noel has identified. It may be that I've missed something, so I wonder if you could post that detail here?

Thanks, Luke.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic