serial number name plate 1st used?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jayteeaz
First Name: John
Last Name: Sears
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 50844
Board Member Since: 2020

serial number name plate 1st used?

Post by jayteeaz » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 am

I have this 1924 Model T roadster with the serial number plate glued or cemented to the frame rail. It doesn't look like it was from the 1924 era or put there by the factory. Does anyone have an idea as to when this plate was first used and on what vehicle?
Attachments
id plate.JPG

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: serial number name plate 1st used?

Post by Original Smith » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:23 am

It looks like something from the V-8 era. I'm glad to hear it is not a permanent plate. If I had your car, I would carefully scrape it off.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:39 am

John

in some states, the VIN must be on the frame if registering an old car from a non-title situation. In other cases, some states issue a stick-on VIN decal after a successful registration process that is to be placed in the door jamb. From your previous thread, I would imagine that it represents the original titled engine SN (and that the engine has been replaced) and the owner did not wish to jump through the hoops and expense of re-Titling the car to the new engine #. I of course am purely guessing, and cannot know for certain why that is there in your specific case, but if that is the only number on your car that matches your Title, then you need to leave it alone, ignore it and live with it.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:56 am

John-

It is probably there because someone from the DMV said there has to be a frame number for the vehicle to be licensed. The owner at the time complied and he was able to get his car titled and licensed. If it were my car here in the state of Orygun, I would take it off because there is no need for a frame ID tag. Do you know in what state your car was licensed when the tag was attached? If your state requires a frame ID tag, like Scott suggests, I would ignore it. If it really bothers you and looks distracting, since the number is stamped into the tag, you could rattle-car a coat of paint over it to help conceal it. Where on the frame is this eyesore located?

: ^ )

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:19 pm

These are sold on eBay and other places to add your serial number to a car. I about 99% certain that they are a made up item, not something that came from the Ford Motor Company on any car or truck. The serial number was stamped on the frame and engine late 1925 up to around 1948 and maybe later. (32 up was stamped on bell housing and frame). My 1948 F2 truck has plates like the one shown at the bottom of this link on the firewall and one on the glove compartment lid, but nothing like the one being asked about;
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flat ... umbers.htm
Listings on eBay;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0
Last edited by Mark Gregush on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 pm

That plate is a modern piece, sold for owners who must have a number placed on the frame of Ford's. Made for Ford owners, you can buy plain number plates too.

Needed today as many old cars have to be registered in various states, where laws are so different.

You need a physical 'number' on the chassis or frame to 'match' the 'number' id on the new title or registration paper. Most states don't allow the only number on a T, that is the engine serial number stamp. And as many T's don't have original serial number engine anymore, you have to meet local requirements that need a physical plate with a number to put on the title/registration.

So if the number on that plate, on your T, matches the registration or VIN (vehicle identification number) on the registration papers, do not remove it!

Screenshot 2020-02-01 12.12.09 copy.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Here is a good tread to answer the original question when were serial number plates first used. I also added a photo of one from the tread. So save your money get a strip of copper and number punch set and have at it. And it looks original and no one knows that it supposed to be the engine number.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1215997352
Attachments
60297.jpg
60645.jpg
60645.jpg (100.68 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Frank-
The images you a show are body numbers, assigned by the body manufacturer, not the serial number or Vehicle Identification Number assigned by Ford.
-Keith

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:42 pm

Stay away from DMV'S! I used an independent vehicle registration company. It worked out perfectly for me, and I'm sure the DMV doesn't care!

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:20 pm

You can't do that in all states, re stay away from DMV.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 pm

I’m with Larry on this one. I’ve used an independent registration company to get each of my “old” cars titled into my name, and figure that I have saved much more in fees than they charged for their services. Not to mention the time, effort and headaches that were all avoided.

These professionals have an inside track to DMV personnel that know how to deal with our cars and their paperwork. The trick is keeping your paperwork away from the random DMV counter clerk that has very little chance of getting your transaction correct.

Keep crankin’
Eric

Topic author
jayteeaz
First Name: John
Last Name: Sears
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 50844
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by jayteeaz » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:17 am

Thank you all for your input. Especially Dan for the picture of a vin plate from vintage parts.
So I got my answer that the plate on the frame rail was not issued by Ford.
It's on the passenger's side under the floorboard so it doesn't bother me.
I am leaving it because it is the only thing that proves to the dmv, police, and insurance company (according to title) that the car is mine.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:08 am

Keith, thank you for correcting my error. I got carried away with the idea of number stamping a strip of tin/copper and affixing it to the frame. With a little tarnish/paint it would look much more "authentic" than a repro data plate.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic