Main Bearing Shims, a question ???

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Main Bearing Shims, a question ???

Post by dobro1956 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Its been awhile since I rebuilt a T engine. The current main bearing shims appeared to be made wrong to me. But when I looked in the original 1928 parts catalog, the shims are like the current repros. I remember the shims I used to use, had a small ear on the inside of the shim, that sat between the babbitt at the ends of the bearing. I thought those small ears were there to give a little support to the bearing and help keep it from "lifting" away from the block. The "ears" only go about 1/2 way of the babbitt, but it would be enough to help "trap" the bearing in place at the ends. Without the "ears" there is nothing to keep the bearing from moving away from the block. I know there are lugs cast into the bearing shell that fit holes in the block. But those stop the bearing from turning, but not "lifting". The "ears" also create a little oil trough that also may be of benefit. I know Ford used the style with no ears (on millions of cars) , but I really like the other style better. The current engine Im building has the old style shims in it that have the ears toward the center. That style shim may have been an aftermarket style shim. I am out of that style of shim, so does anyone know where to finds some. Or does anyone have some they will part with. Has anyone else noticed the difference, or did I just have a supply of aftermarket shims a long time ago...
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzz (3).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzz (2).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzz (1).JPG

Kohnke Rebabbitting
First Name: Herman
Last Name: Kohnke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Roadster, 1922 Coupe

Re: Main Bearing Shims, a question ???

Post by Kohnke Rebabbitting » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:34 pm

The bottom shim is for a Model A, and B Ford, Front, and center Mains.

D.Yoder
First Name: DEAN
Last Name: YODER
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19tour,24tour,25rdpu,27rd.26coupe,TT's,& tractor conversions
MTFCA Number: 295
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 127
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by D.Yoder » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:15 am

Great to see you back on the Forum Herm, :D

Ken Buhler
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Buhler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49471
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ken Buhler » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:23 am

I agree with Dean, I'm glad you are back Herm.
Work honestly
Stay true to your word
Get the job done right

V4F
First Name: J
Last Name: D
MTFCA Number: 28823
MTFCI Number: 23531

Post by V4F » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:41 am

Hi Donnie
Hopefully a couple pics are below.
Attachments
Model A Shims 2a.jpg
Model A Shims 1a.jpg

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 am

I thought the front and center shims may have been Model A. I ordered a set of them off e-bay and should have them soon. "BUT" The model A set does not explain why I have (and had) a longer shim with inside "ears" for the Model T rear main. I did not get a picture of it for the pictures above, but I do have a long shim set with "inside ears" in my engine for the rear main. Ill get a picture of the rear shim today.

I may be just thinking crazy, but it appears to me a shim with "ears" on the inside that sit on the Babbitt at the ends of the bearings could only help. The Ford style shims and also the current repros do not give any support at all to the bearing. For example: Lets just say I have set of Ford style .004 shim packs on each side of the bearing. And lets say I am running .002 clearance on my bearing. Those measurements will "allow" the bearing the ability to break free of the block and "lift" .002. In effect allowing the bearing to slowly "beat itself to death". But the little "ears" sitting on the babbit bearing will keep the bearing from lifting. It may be the reason why Ford changed to the inside "ears" on the Model A. ??? I used to have a box of the shims with the "inside ear" where all three shims fit a model T. But I can not find them or I used them all up.

Im probably OK as to having enough shims for "this" engine, because I can use my old set. They are laminated so I can peel off a shim for my final adjustment.

But I really would like to find some more.

Thanks for the input

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:08 am

You can cut the A rear main shim and use it in a T engine as well. It will be a little shorter than a T rear main shim as the A rear main is 3" long from thrust to thrust, but that won't hurt anything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic