wood spokes

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

wood spokes

Post by Philip » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:48 am

i am looking at some wheels that have have new spokes. the owner is cutting the car up and making a hot rod
sad but hey i need the wheels. anyway the owner before him did the spokes what should i look for to tell if they
are hickory. philip
26 t.jpg
26 t.jpg
t2.jpg
t3.jpg
Attachments
t4.jpg
t4.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 4935 times

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Re: wood spokes

Post by perry kete » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:05 am

If he will sell you the wood wheels you can always respoke them or have them done for you. If you can inform him that he could sell the body of that car and make money to buy a fiberglass hot rod body. Hope you can save the car as well as the wheels
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Topic author
Philip

Post by Philip » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 am

i have spoke for the front and rear axle the engine and all 5 wheels. i need the wheels because mine are in poor condition.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 am

You need to be sure the spokes are Hickory, not oak. They should be tight at the hub and felloe. And should be not more than 1/2 inch run out when spinning on axle. Will he sell the hubs with the wheels? If the hubs are in good condition and everything is tight, it would be better to keep them together.
Norm

Topic author
Philip

Post by Philip » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:26 pm

yes i am getting both complete axles

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Blankety Blank Hot Rodders. Taking a perfectly good-looking, and apparently running T to make a hot rod when there are parts piles out there that could be done easier and with less loss of history.
Would need a close up photo of the spokes to try to identify the wood. meantime, without knowing what wood they are, get a price as if the spokes were no good, because if they are oak, or some softwood, they are NO GOOD no matter how nice they look.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

david_dewey
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:58 pm

PS you ought to see if you could trade him a frame also and get the whole chassis intact. He's probably going to box the frame anyway (would be cheaper for him to buy a repro boxed frame already set up for a Hot Rod. )
T'ake care,
David Dewey

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:25 pm

I know that spokes were originally and should be made out of hickory as hickory will bend in stead of shatter like oak will.
I did not know that when I had my first set of wheels re-spoked. I had the wheels on my 1919 done is oak I've been driving on those wheels for 40 years now. Although I have seen all of RD's pictures of shattered oak spokes, and agree that hickory is the proper wood to use, I will continue to drive on the set of wheels I have.
1919 HCCA.jpg
: ^ )

Altair
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:31 pm

The picture some time ago of shattered oak spokes is most unfair to oak spokes. The owner was towing his car and was turning too sharply on gravel and the wheels were jumping and skipping sideways he continued to turn until he was on asphalt and continued to tow forward with the wheels still skipping sideways on the pavement until they came apart. I doubt if Hickory could have taken the extreme abuse.
I have towed my T in tight turns and you need somebody in the car to assist, if alone you need to move a bit and turn until the turn is complete and then also assist in bringing it back to straight. It will track straight with slight variations but does not like hard turns. With the care and speed of these Ts I doubt that Oak will just shatter, there is no doubt that Hickory is the best but I don't think Oak is very far behind.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 pm

Some data about wood "strength" Hickory, Yellow Birch, Hard Maple, White Oak then Ash
Compressive strength tells you how much of a load a wood species can withstand parallel to the grain. How much weight will the legs of a table support before they buckle? It is measure by loading a block of wood parallel to the grain until it breaks.
Bending strength (also known as the modulus of rupture) shows the load the wood can withstand perpendicular to the grain. How much weight can you hang on a peg? It is measure by loading a block of wood perpendicular to the grain.
Stiffness or modulus of elasticity indicates how much the wood will deflect when a load is applied perpendicular to the grain. How far will those shelves sag? It is determined by applying a load to a beam of wood until it deflects a certain amount.
Hardness reveals how resistant the surface of the wood is to scratches, dents, and other abuse. It is determined by driving a metal ball halfway into the wood’s surface. The force used is recorded in pounds (lb); the higher the number, the stronger the wood.
Attachments
Wood Strength.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

KLTagert
First Name: Kathy
Last Name: Tagert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Runabout, 1918 Coupelet, ‘21 Centerdoor, ‘22 coupes, ‘23 Roadster and touring, ‘25 roadster pickup, Fordor, and coupe, ‘26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32467
MTFCI Number: 24412
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by KLTagert » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Thank you for the wood table info / interesting.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:49 pm

From the table, Red oak and White oak have 71% and 75% the bending strength, respectively, of Hickory. Bending is the limiting strength in the kind of failure altair describes. Not a guarantee that Hickory would take that abuse but it would handle 25-29% more than Oak. jb

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:51 pm

I feel Ralph Ricks, RDR - RIP, rolling over in his grave. After his incident he did a lot of research and testing of spokes. While the oak looks very nice he found they are inferior to Hickory for use in a Model T wheel.
The problem with running oak spokes on a parade car is that someday another driver may have different driving habits.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic