Gas Blowing Out Carburetor When Running

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mercury01
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Leisinger

Gas Blowing Out Carburetor When Running

Post by Mercury01 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:52 pm

I have a 1925 Fordor. Once the engine is running it blows a mist of gas out the inlet to the carb.

I have done the following:

1) New timer (anderson flapper style)
2) Set timing....with the timing fully retarded, spark occurs at each cylinder at TDC. Good strong spark at each cylinder.
3) Fresh Valve Job, Cut seats & new valves
4) New Head Gasket
5) Compression test is ~45 psi, & each cylinder is within 3-5 psi of each other
6) Rebuilt carburetor: cleaning and seals

Once the engine starts, it also sounds like it it is not firing on all cylinders.

When I crank the engine over with the starter, the engine pulls a good vacuum at the intake manifold.

What should I try next?

Thanks!

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Re: Gas Blowing Out Carburetor When Running

Post by got10carz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:18 pm

Do you have the correct firing order? Or perhaps carbon track in coil box.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Does gas run out of the carb when it is not running?
RE: " spark occurs at each cylinder at TDC" needs to be AFTER not at TDC on full retard at startup.
What do you have your valve stem gaps set at?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Mercury01

Post by Mercury01 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:37 pm

The valves are set to ~.012" Inch

The carb doesn't leak any fuel when not running.

I haven't pulled the coil box yet. Is it common for carbon tracking to occur? Is there anything else to check with the coil box?

Thanks!

Topic author
Mercury01

Post by Mercury01 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:38 pm

Forgot to mention, The firing order has been checked and is 1-2-4-3.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Pay attention to what Mark said about timing, for your starter's sake and your forearm's sake.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Mark is correct re the timing. With full retard at the lever, and the timing set at TDC, you stand the chance of the car firing up as normal, or Backfiring. I believe the figure is 15 degees past TDC. That way the car will always fire on the downstroke, eliminating backfiring, starter damage and possible broken cranking arms.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Mercury01

Post by Mercury01 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21 pm

I can definitely retard a bit more. Once the engine is running, I do have to advance the timing. It doesn't try to "kick back" against the starter.

Thanks

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 pm

Now that the spark timing issue is out of the way, you have defined exactly when spark occurs (correct or not). What you have not determined is if the cam itself is a tooth off. You can set the timer to be "perfect" to the cam, but if your valve events are off, as in the intake valve not closed at the point of beginning compression (cam retarded by a tooth), you will get blowing at the carb and a terrible running engine as the intake flow is going in and out as opposed to a relatively smooth flow toward the cylinders. All valve events will of course, be late, which will include a barking exhaust note and a very hot exhaust system.

Have you had the cam out, since the car last ran correctly?

Special ground cams have considerable overlap which mimic this situation to a degree, but carburetion, swept area of the piston, compression, and a need for a higher idle all go into the equation to minimize the downside of this condition.

I do not get that you are dealing with a high performance engine, but simply a mal-adjusted stock one.
Scott Conger

Topic author
Mercury01

Post by Mercury01 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. The engine was running fine ~1 year ago. It began to start "hard" and then I started to dig into it and made the changes I mentioned. I first thought it was actually the cam gear, but after removing the timing cover, the fiber gear looked fine, and I left it as is. The timer that was installed was an anderson, and had quite a bit of wear on the flaps. I chose to replace with an anderson timer again.

Thanks

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:23 pm

If in fact the valve events ARE occuring at the correct time, the timing gear is not damaged or misaligned, then you may really not have one or more valves sealing as well as you think. While even, your compression could be better, though not bad for a worn engine.

The only other likely way fuel is misting out the intake is there is a disruption of air flow or a seriously maladjusted carb which is doing things we cannot predict with certainty.

Guessing this is an NH carb, remember that this is a very primitive puddle-type carb and if the float level is seriously mal-adjusted, float valve is not closing off properly or more likely (based on symptoms, not because it is common), the main jet is missing a gasket and allowing volumes of fuel to puddle while running rather than being metered past the needle.

Easiest thing to do right now is to at least borrow a known good carb and see if you can pinpoint or eliminate that as the source.
Scott Conger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 am

In regard to setting ignition timing, I find it easiest to refer to the crank pin. Putting a thumb over the spark plug hole and pulling up the crank until you feel compression gets you close to TDC. Then pull the crank slowly and watch the pin. When the pin is perfectly horizontal you are at TDC. If you think of the pin as clock hands, they're pointing at 9 and 3. You want to turn a little past that until the hands are between 9 and 10, and between 3 and 4. At that point you are at 15º past TDC. That's where the fully retarded timer should be set to fire on BAT.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Post by ABoer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:05 am

Keith , Did you try an other model Timer ? Like an old style roller , or a New Day ??
Toon

Ed Baudoux
First Name: Edward
Last Name: Baudoux
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Fordor 1926 Huckster 1930 Fordor 1930 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 24216

Post by Ed Baudoux » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 am

Check for a restriction in the exhaust.
Grayling Michigan
1927 Fordor
1926 Huckster
Founding member of Northern Michigan Drone Skeet Shooting Club :twisted:

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:10 am

Keith, for gas vapor to go the wrong way out the back of the carb you have a valve or valve timing problem, for it to be an ignition timing problem it would be so far off the engine wouldnt run. Could be heavy carbon build up that is glowing hot enough to ignite the fuel vapor during the intake stroke, or some freak ignition problem that is causing a spark plug to fire more than once a cycle...a short, or carbon tracks in coil box could cause that.
Last edited by Humblej on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:39 am

"Is a puzzlement" as Yul Brenner famously said. I'm off the ignition business and on to leaking valve/blocked exhaust (Good guess Ed).
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:10 am

And finally, I would start the car, idle as best as it can for a few seconds and then shut off the fuel supply line (you do have a shut-off, right?). If after a very short while the car smoothes out and stops spitting gas (and then dies for lack of fuel), you have a bad carb. Anything else is valves/timing or as Ed suggested, and I concur, a restricted exhaust.
Scott Conger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:28 am

I think all the bases have been covered by the other posters, however one more thing which could be causing the problem. If the wires between the coil box and the timer are grounded anywhere on route, the coil will spark. If on battery the spark could be continuous. If on magneto it could still spark every time the AC wave peaks. Sometimes a wire of post can contact a bolt at the front of the crankcase. The bolt near the timer should be turned with the nut downward. Other places where it could ground would be against the spring holding the timer to the plate. So check carefully all those wires for one or more which might be grounded.
Norm

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 am

Sounds to me like you have a sticky intake valve. Take the plugs out, hand crank it over until each intake opens and spray some good carb cleaner down the inlet area under the valve. Let it set for a few minutes, do it again, put the plugs back in and go for a drive. Should take care of it.
Today's gas is very sticky

Roz
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1925 TT, 1927 Speedster, 1931 Model A
MTFCA Number: 31449
MTFCI Number: 24373
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Roz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:44 pm

If it is ignition related, it would be a backfire, or for some reason igniting when the intake valve is open. If it’s not firing back out of the carb and just chuffing raw gas spray out, it has to be valve related. The only way gas can flow backward through the carb is through an open intake valve. Either an intake valve is not closing, or the valve timing has changed. An intake valve would have to be open on the piston upstroke after the intake stroke.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:09 pm

Another possibility is a bad cam lobe on an exhaust valve. If the exhaust valve doesn’t open enough, the pressure will release through the intake valve when it opens.
Usually runs fair till you get a load or open the throttle much.
And will show decent on a compression test.

Good luck ;)

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:02 pm

Dave

I once had to deal with a '16 with a broken-off exhaust lifter on #2 from a friend who bought a "great running car" off of eBay. The lifter piece was missing, and while too large to get out of the valve chamber...it wasn't there, so the valve cover had been off and the eBay lister/owner knew, and there was clearly no way this was a "great running car" when put on the transport. The explosive release through the intake valve/carb was horrendous and it had been run so long that way, the center main was beaten out of it. Pulling the pan, the center main cap was brand new and beaten to pieces. So it had been run long enough to wipe out 2 different center main caps.

Great running car, huh?

a new lifter and a carefully scraped new center main cap solved the problem until it was resold upon my friend's death. Fortunately for all, the block side of the center main survived unscathed, which I guess isn't all that big of a surprise when you do a failure analysis of the root cause of the situation.

That car nearly hopped off the ground while running in that condition. It had a starter, and when he first started it for me to listen, it sure made odd sounds while cranking and once fired up, I couldn't get to the key quickly enough to shut it down.
Scott Conger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic