bicycle speedometer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

bicycle speedometer

Post by tdump » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:25 am

Can someone shed some light on this subject as to what works? I can't ride a bicycle so I never used 1.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Icocopro-Bike- ... SwzBBdokUV
Wil 1 like this work?
I have a older gps unit but I don't know how to mount it in the T for a speedometer.Can't keep em on the windshield of a modern,so I don't want to chase it all over the floor board of my T
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Re: bicycle speedometer

Post by Colin Mavins » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:43 am

I think not ' if you look down the pics there is a sending unit that mounts to the fork and a piece that mounts to the spoke of the wheel I don't know how to mount this on your car and get a correct reading. I think Steve has experience with this ,he will chime in soon. Cheers Colin

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:21 am

That wireless type bike speedo won’t work as the sender and receiver are too far apart on a T. Works only from distance of fork to handlebar on a bike.

I use the wire type bike speedo, but you have to splice a longer length put the gauge at the steering wheel. Pickup part of magnet mounted to hub, with pickup sender placed on a bracket you design and make to hold the precise distance needed. Not too difficult.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:30 am

You can start here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG105.html Steve Jelf has used a bike speedometer for a long time. You can also look up bike speedometer on the MTFCA and see the posts Steve has made there. It seems the weak point in the system is the wire connecting the pick up portion to the read out portion.

The wireless bike speedometer sounds very interesting.

Good Luck,
Terry

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:04 pm

Yes, I've used an older (wired) model for several years. Bike speedometers are hit and miss. Some will work fine on a Model T, and some won't. The Velo 5 I use works well, but its Achilles heel is delicacy. I've tried three or four different setups for mounting the sensor in front, and sooner or later all of them have failed due to road hazards. So my latest arrangement, as the link shows, is with the sensor inside a rear hub where flying rocks can't get to it. So far so good, but I haven't done any long trips with it yet. My model is considered obsolete, and is no longer sold new (it was under $25), so you may need to get a later model.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:41 pm

I have had bad luck with the durability of bicycle speedometers, even on my bicycles, so I would echo Steve's comments on their suitability for a Model T. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:21 pm

Have used this wired type for 5 years now, works well and accurate tested against iPhone GPS speedo app.

Handlebar mount fits just fine to cylinder horn button case. Large numerals good for my old eyes!

76A90051-3ABE-432A-9E3D-6202C0209C24.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:27 pm

Dan, you must drive on tamer roads than I do. :D
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Randall strickland
First Name: Randall
Last Name: Strickland

Post by Randall strickland » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:32 pm

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:53 pm

I think it may work on the Model T. At that price it is not so expensive that you couldn’t write it off and chalk it up to experience if it doesn’t work. You can attach the magnet to a spoke and attach the sending unit to the tie bar arm with a few spacers underneath to get it close enough to the magnet to pickup the signal. Keep us posted. Jim Patrick

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:27 pm

Steve

Haven’t had any wire trouble as the extension to the pickup is heavy dual twisted and mounted to allow full swivel of spindle. Run in rain, sand roads and hard gravel can’t seem to upset the readout.

Do use a marker to write the ‘calculated’ input for tire size on the outside of the display, when battery dies it looses that measure so just type in the preserved numbers off the unit. :lol:

12B76283-BFCA-4D7B-B5E6-8C19360412F6.jpeg
9F374839-E868-44F1-BA94-3F9C9D7BCC3C.jpeg

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Tried it. I used magnet that is used for a security system. They a meant to attach under a window sash and close circuit until the sash is raised and therefore opening the circuit and setting the alarm. These magnets a very strong and very small so attaching to the wheel spoke was easy. The speedo worked sometimes but not very accurate. I believe the mag interfered and caused the reading to be unreliable. Gave up and use GPS when needed.

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:52 pm

Some bike speedos are upset by the Model T ignition system. I've found the Cat Eye brand to be good in several cars so far. Accuracy with mine is spot on when checked with a GPS. I used JB Weld to secure a magnet to the hub.
tspeedo2.JPG

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:20 pm

Well that is plenty of info to work with. I like the rear wheel mounted idea.
Thanks for the help. And Randell,I had no idea a outfit could be bought for a modern to shine the speed up on the windsheild.THe link you posted,had me browsing for a hour.And checking ebay,where i buy since I don't a account on amazon,and 20 bucks or less will put the speed and such right up where you can see it while driving!. Neat0

Nunsio1
Last Name: Monticciolo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C Cab truck
MTFCA Number: 21108

Post by Nunsio1 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 am

Just another option for speedometer...
12volt marine gps speedo, pos & neg hook up only. Purchased at Cabela’s - $90.00
John Oscoda Michigan

John Dow
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:18 am

I use a bicycle GPS speedometer with great success. It's about 1" x 1.5" and weighs nothing. It's rechargeable from a computer USB port. You can attach it anywhere but mine attaches to a velcro dot in the middle of my lower windshield. I paid about $60.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:48 am

Why not use a speedometer that was designed for your car? I have original period Stewart speedometers in all of my cars, and they work.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:49 pm

I am wanting something cheap.Those original speedos look nice,no complaints other than exspense..Since I am trying to get this thing road legal I don't want to ride without a speedo as the local Barnies love to write tickets!

L.I. Tom
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Pilz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 roadster, 1923 roadster pickup

Post by L.I. Tom » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:40 pm

I have had one on my T for about 8 years never had a problem whether it was cheap at the time maybe 20-25 bucks Works great I think I only replaced the battery in it Once I'm not sure of the brand I will go out and check tomorrow take some pictures of the pick up bracket and Magnet install. Pretty simple to make and attach Have the display mounted right on the steering column pretty small and unobtrusive. Did have to extend the wire not a problem and mounted on front driver side wheel. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:34 pm

1 thing that might affect how I can mount sensers is I am running wire wheels on the T's I want to put speedos on.The pickup is finished and working towards road legal,the speedster,still a work in progress.

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Mopar_man » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:52 pm

I use an App on my phone. All my old cars are a bit off so I check myself just to make sure I'm ok. The App was free.

JEC
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:52 pm

With spoke wheels you might go with this.
You can tell by the frequency of the noise how fast you are going.
Attachments
spoke noise.jpg
spoke noise.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 9183 times

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Whenever this subject comes up, Larry always points out (correctly) that there's nothing wrong with using an original speedometer made for Model T use. I intend to do just that eventually. Until then I'll get by with the cheap modern stuff and put the money into more pressing things.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

L.I. Tom
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 roadster, 1923 roadster pickup

Post by L.I. Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 am

Here are a few pictures of my Install hope it may help someone
Another shop from the top
Another shop from the top
Here's a shot from the bottom
Here's a shot from the bottom
Here is one from the top
Here is one from the top
Here is one from the top
Here is one from the top
Use black tarred wire loom to protect the wires and sort of make it look like a belongs there
Use black tarred wire loom to protect the wires and sort of make it look like a belongs there
Attachments
The unit mounted on the steering column
The unit mounted on the steering column

L.I. Tom

Post by L.I. Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am

The magnet mounts on a small stud either number 8 or number 10 Idon't recall just drilled and tapped a small hole into the hub and use loctite to attach the magnet and the stud small hole will not hurt the hub just grind it off paint it would never look like it's been there
The magnet mounts on a small stud either number 8 or number 10 Idon't recall just drilled and tapped a small hole into the hub and use loctite to attach the magnet and the stud small hole will not hurt the hub just grind it off paint it would never look like it's been there
Attachments
The brand name and model not sure if they're still available
The brand name and model not sure if they're still available
20200209_103949.jpg

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:04 pm

Thank you for taking the pics.And like you said,it might help others.
Right now I would rather get a modern cheapo bike speedo and put the real money in the vehicals mechanicals.

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:26 pm

I do like the idea of an electric speedo on the T as an option. Once I attached my phone to the windshield and used an app. It worked fine. But for the past several years I’ve been using the original set up with the Stewart 160 head and the chain drive. It’s great when it works ... which is most of the time. As they say it’s as good as it’s weakest link. Wish good, smooth new links were available.

L.I. Tom

Post by L.I. Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 pm

Mac
that is modern cheapo speedo probly 20 or 30 bucks

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:51 pm

Here's my light shedding for ya.... You said you already have an older GPS and need something cheap. The reason you don't use it in your T being simply a mounting issue.

I would suggest considering the many benefits of the GPS besides just a speedo. Depending on your model there are several good options for mounting a GPS. I mounted mine on the fire wall just above the coil box on my '12. It works perfect for speed and can also get me back home when the directions fly out the car on tours! I did have to install a small battery for 12V power.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

KirkieP
First Name: Kirk
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Touring 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 345
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 141
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by KirkieP » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:40 pm

What Gene said. Garmin has several mounting options to choose from. I use a ball mount with plastic hook between windshields on Touring. And a sticky ball mount to dash on coupe.
Kirk Peterson
Santa Fe NM

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:11 pm

I will check into that,I bought a Garmen for 10 bucks at a yard sale never took out of the box till i got it.It would be good for that,but my experiance was with the rubber suction cups and they fail miserably.
When I bought a new up to date 1 for my modern I got a sand bag looking thing for it to be on,it just sits on the dash.
Ball mount,magnetic? I think my neighbor has 1 of those,I will see how it works and may just go that route for right now.Just 1 area in the small town I might get over the 15 mph speed limit,don't need a ticket!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:52 am

How about something like a universal GPS/phone mount with the suction cup removed and a disk magnet glued to the bottom (piece of felt or something on the bottom to prevent marring the dash). Stick it on the dash. There are many variations of the GPS/phone mount that would accommodate a magnet (round or rectangular).
Attachments
universal-gps-holder-tablet-car-mount-cup.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:16 am

I'm on the road and don't have a picture with me, but I was given a Garmin and simply made a holder for it that mounts with one of the dash bolts on my 1915. You don't have to buy some factory made geegaw. I agree that a suction cup is likely to drop your device on the floor.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:03 am

Mack,

With Steve Jelf's inspiration I mounted the sensor in the back as per this discussion and easy instructions: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1498439804

It has worked for a few years now without problems.

-- IV

46woodduck
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:39 am

Had the speedometer die on an old motorcycle and found an early model hand held GPS unit at a garage sale for $15.00. Made a mount to attach it to the handlebars and hard wired it for power and it worked great for a speedometer. With the new style GPS units fabbing a mount would be easy and you get the added bonus of being able to find your way as well.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:14 am

Okdoky, I will make or get a mount for the gps. less money! :D And more functions. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic