Stevens T-231 Drive SHaft Bushing Puller.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Stevens T-231 Drive SHaft Bushing Puller.

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:14 pm

In getting ready for an upcoming rear axle/driveline rebuild I thought that I would take the time to fix a problem with the Stevens Drive Shaft Bushing Puller that I have. This is probably a problem that other that own this tool have as well. The pawls that actually pull the bushing do not work due to the broken/missing torsion spring.
IMG_6412.JPG
The above photo shows the excellent N.O.S. condition of the existing spring (remember N.O.S. can also mean Never Outta Service). There was not much left of the spring to begin with and without the spring the pawls just push back into the bore of the pilot and do not return, effectively making the tool useless. The photo below was the first spring that I had made.
IMG_6422.JPG
The new spring, looks good and fits well sorta, I just made one mistake; I knew that it had to be a Left-Hand torsion spring, but I wound it Right-Hand. Simply, I was not paying attention. A simple mistake that was overcome on the next one. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the spring before I installed it and put the tool back together. I was just busy on fixing it. These photos show the spring in place and the tool back together.
IMG_6424.JPG
IMG_6414.JPG
With the new spring installed the pawls work as they should: Once pushed back into the bore of the pilot they will "spring" back out on their own.

The material used for the spring was 0.046" or #20.5 music wire (piano wire). There is a small hole in each of the pawls for the ends of the spring to fit into and hold it in place, use a #56 drill to make sure they are clear. I had used a 0.250" (1/4") "mandrel" to wrap the spring and the resulting spring will have an outside diameter between 0.3750" and 0.3900", right around 3/8". Make the spring 2 full coils.

The spring will uncoil/unwrap some after you wrap it and become a bit larger on the mandrel. As for the "mandrel" I simply used a 0.250" piece of drill rod, nothing fancy. The larger inside diameter makes it easier to help line things up when you go to reassemble the pawls into the body of the pilot. Remember, wrap the spring LEFT-HAND not right-hand.

The hardest part of the whole process was making the two 90 degree bends on the ends of the spring to fit into the holes on the pawls. Getting the spacing/dimension right for placement is a little tough and the small size makes it a bit frustrating. Be patient it will work.

Now, if anyone has a spare, original Rear Axle Bearing Sleeve Puller that they would be willing to part with, please let me know. I would like to have one of those to use as well. I will post an ad in the classifieds later, but it does not hurt to spread the message around.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

JWalters
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Walters
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Stevens T-231 Drive SHaft Bushing Puller.

Post by JWalters » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:38 pm

Great fix Joseph, Thanks for sharing.

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Re: Stevens T-231 Drive SHaft Bushing Puller.

Post by Altair » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:14 pm

DSC00478.JPG
This is my bushing removing tool it weighs 3 pounds and when dropped from the length of the shaft exerts several hundred pounds of force and after about 6 drops the bushing was out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic