Dating Ruckstells

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Dating Ruckstells

Post by Chris Instness » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm sure the information about dating Ruckstells based on the serial number has been published somewhere, but I was just wondering where to look. I have a Hall Scott Ruckstell I just finished installing in my 1915 and was curious about the year it was made. It's number A 15965 which I assume means it was the 15,965th one made, but I don't know what year. It is a small drum with Hall Scott cast into the backing plate and has the lip for an enclosed driveshaft spool. One additional question, did any small drum Ruckstells come with smooth backing plates or did they all have the extra support ribs?
Thanks in advance,
Chris
20190202_183428.jpg

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Dating Ruckstells

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:24 am

The Ruckstell did not hit the market until after the end of the great war. If I recall correctly, some of the early ones used the car's original outer housing, so it would have been possible to have the 1915 style smooth backing plate. It doesn't really matter much. A Ruckstell is not era correct for 1915, so the additional detail of smooth backing plates doesn't make much difference. If it matters to you? Grind the backing plate smooth.
Some early Ruckstells also had poor quality casings with the Hall-Scott name cast into them. I have a badly damaged one that I began to attempt repair of. That was how I learned the casting was of poor quality. I wound up replacing the backing plate with a standard Ford issue, as many Ruckstells already had.
Glen Chaffin wrote a wonderful history of the Ruckstell, available from all the usual parts dealers. I have not read it myself, however, the book can probably answer a lot of your questions.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 am

To add to Wayne's...from the club's booklet by Glen on Repairing the Ruckstell.

History page 2 states that the Perfecto axle (Seattle, WA) is the forerunner of the later Hall Scott, aka Ruckstell. That one was offered late 1920, and Glover Ruckstell saw it at the March 1921 Chicago auto show, and from there organized the Ruckstell Sales Co, with contact to build the rear axle by Hall-Scott, Berkley, CA.

To add to the fun, found a memo at Benson Ford Research library, which notes a Ruckstell received for Edsel Ford to inspect, from E.J. Hall to Edsel, who then wrote on the bottom of the memo to Send axle to Dearborn plant attention Jos. Galamb ....March 28, 1922!
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:04 am

473776.jpg
One method to date would be the style of patent plate on the axle.

Your's appears to the third series plate, with the larger address line on the bottom. The photos are blurry, but someone posted this picture before. Nice comparison. Can almost make out the serial numbers that give hint on age of each plate for dating an axle.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:57 am

I have Ruckstells in all of my T's. The earliest one has a different patent plate than any pictured above. I believe the serial number is 6,XXX. It has a boss in the upper RH corner with some patent numbers stamped in it. Regarding backing plates, I like the late ones made by Eaton, because Eaton arranged with Ford to buy genuine Ford backing plates from them. The advantage of that is the Ford backing plates have a removable brake cam bushing. When rebuilding a Hall Scott unit, you have to bore out the backing plate to accept a bushing. I guess Hall Scott never dreamed that people would be using their product almost 100 years after they were made.

Topic author
Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Post by Chris Instness » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for the information guys!

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Chris,
I am married, so I will avoid dating anyone but my wife :lol:

Matt

infotfordnl
First Name: Bert
Last Name: van Amstel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Runabout pickup 1927
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by infotfordnl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:12 am

maybe interested,
another plate on my Ruckstell, see the other patent date
its on a 1927 T pickup. Hight number I think so could be installed origional
Bert
Ruckstell-plate.jpg
Nice movie of this Model T: https://youtu.be/jD1QJBZasdY

Original Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U

Post by Original Smith » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 am

The plate with the clipped corners is an Eaton plate. Mike Spaziano had a bunch of them made last year, and sold them to Chaffin. I'd like to see a clearer photo of the plate with the fuzzy rh corner. It looks like a pretty early one, like the one I have.
I have a Ruckstell in my touring, which is one of the worst castings I've seen. They must have been having a bad day then!

richc
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Chillingworth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C-Cab TT
MTFCA Number: 30527
MTFCI Number: 23207

Post by richc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 pm

This Ruckstell plate is from my TT rear axle. Given the serial number, it most certainly is a later example.
TT Plate.jpg
Rich C.

Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:33 am

Dan:
I wish you would post another photo. I would like to see the plate in the lower left hand corner. I think that maybe the early plate I have. Your photos aren't that clear!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic