Top Interchangeability.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Cigarboxrob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Frankel

Top Interchangeability.

Post by Cigarboxrob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:41 pm

....Although I’ve seen some aspects of this topic beaten like a dead horse, I’ve never received a proper answer.

....I’m the owner of a 1926 Touring; I was originally promised top irons for my car, but they never materialized. As 1926-27 cars are a bit different than earlier variants, may any other years of top irons be used? There are differences in windshields, but at this point, I’m interested in real-life experiences with: “Compatibility.” Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Cigarboxrob on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Top Interchangeability.

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 pm

I have noticed you asking this question before. And seem to recall a few insufficient answers including maybe one from me?
I can't give enough details, and hope someone that actually has had both different tops can offer some real help. But basically, a '23 through '25 model years one-man touring car top CAN be made to work on a '26/'27 touring car. As they are meant to be, it will NOT fit well, but I know it can be done because I have seen it myself. With some minor alteration, the earlier top could be made to fit fairly well. It would probably be something that people that really know those years could spot it (been there, done that on earlier stuff myself!). But a bit of lengthening here, shortening there, a bit wider or narrower, could make the '23/'25 top fit and work well. I don't know which top cover kit would work best? Probably whichever is larger could be cut down a little to fit.

On a personal note, unless I get VERY lucky fairly soon, I will be doing a similar modification to make top pieces I have fit and work for my '15 runabout because I cannot afford to pay the current going rate for a "15 top.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:09 pm

The '26 - '27 open car top irons have a defined curve at the body attachment point - what that purpose is, I can't tell you but it's the best way to determine which is the correct year that they were made for.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 am

Robert, effectively the 26-7 T's are different cars than the rest of the 20's T's. As Wayne suggests, you could probably make an earlier top fit. With same amount of work, you might even get a top off a Chev to fit, but if you have to do that much work, why not spend the same time on the correct top.
There is nothing that detracts more from a car than an ill fitting, ill proportioned top to my eyes.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic