Sacramento laws

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Craig Raynor
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Raynor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring
Board Member Since: 2017

Sacramento laws

Post by Craig Raynor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am

I just had my son who is a truck driver ask if I knew of a law in Sacramento County that states you cannot work on your own auto is this true? Also is it enforced?

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Sacramento laws

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:35 am

There have been discussions on this topic before. All I can say is move !

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am

I found this online:

Residents of Sacramento County may be in a bit of a bind the next time they elect to take on a car repair in their own garage. At issue are the county’s zoning codes, some of which are worded with a vagueness that would make a politician proud.
First expounded upon at the Grassroots Motorsports forum and brought into the mainstream consciousness by the gearheads at Jalopnik, the lawmakers have cleaved the activity of “auto repair” into two buckets: minor and major.
“Minor automotive repair” is listed as including brake part replacement, minor tune-ups, change of oil and filter, repair of flat tires, lubrication and “other similar operations.”
“Major repairs” are considered anything outside that scope, plus body or painting work of vehicles or vehicle parts. This is presumably meant to ward off ne’er-do-wells from setting up a chop shop or paint booth in their backyard.
Here’s the sticky part, though. The zoning law goes on to state it is unlawful to engage in even minor repair under the following circumstances:
If using tools not normally found in a residence;
When conducted on vehicles registered to persons not currently residing on the lot or parcel;
Conducted outside a fully enclosed garage and resulting in any vehicle being inoperable for a period in excess of twenty-four hours.
Number one on that list has a few people up in arms. What constitutes “tools not normally found in a residence”? Is it a welder? Air tools? Torque wrench? All of those reside in your author’s suburban garage and see weekly use.

The code goes on to say that “The chemicals involved in major automobile repair can pollute our neighborhoods and endanger the health and wellbeing of our residents.” Fair enough, as no one would want a person pouring motor oil or gallons of DuPont Hot Hues down the sewer drain.
But it’s easy to see how haphazard enforcement of this code can get out of hand, especially when it goes on to say that “this kind of activity increases vehicle traffic and the visual impact can negatively impact property values.​” Until the long arm of The Man comes knocking on my garage door, I’ll continue giving my tools a workout.

Topic author
Craig Raynor

Post by Craig Raynor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:48 am

He drive truck cross country and didn’t want to get caught if the need arises.So this sounds like like something that was passed into law wondering if it’s actually enforced at this time?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:21 am

Sometimes laws are written to close loop holes in order to prosecute the worse offenders or to provide a broad description to cover numerous variations. So if some adjacent neighbor of yours started to do soda blasting out in the open in his back yard (not as a business but to prepare to repaint his Edsel, next) - would that bother you? If so, what part of the law would he be violating? While most every resident in the neighborhood could have an air compressor, few if any would have abrasive blasting equipment or spray painting equipment let alone an enclosure to prevent environmental contamination. So “tools not normally found in a residence” easily covers that. But if someone starts an minor auto repair business next door to you, cars waiting for parts parked in front of your house and his driveway. Depending on how good his lawyer is, just the torque wrench would apply to “tools not normally found in a residence” and could cause a stoppage. I doubt that anyone who is "fixing" their or a friends car will every be in violation if what they are doing isn't doing harm or bothering anyone else.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Henry K. Lee
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 am

Cali-Fruity is now only second to New Jersey in a mass exidous. 1 in 4 U-hauls, Rider , and Penske trucks leave that state. Such a demand, they are using rail freight to bring back in.

The hand writing has been on the wall for years, but I do not understand how people think it will fix itself. Move before it is too late, or it already is.

My $0.03 worth,

Hank

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 pm

For those of us in Sacramento County, be nice to your neighbors, Give them rides in your cars, so no one complains to the code enforcers. I thought about contacting my county supervisor for clarification, but then they know where I am and what I do.

HPetrino
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Very good choice John! The less they know about you the better off you are.

Topic author
Craig Raynor

Post by Craig Raynor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Thank you for the information

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:20 pm

This reminds me of something I heard credited to LBJ years ago.
It said "Rather that consider the good a law can do when properly administered, consider the harm it can do if improperly administered".
That sure doesn't seem to fit LBJ, but maybe it's just me.
Anyway, it sure fits here.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 pm

Reading the ordinance, it appears that all you need to do is have someone live in the car and everything would be fine. A little research shows that it is in perfect alignment with Sacremento City Council's plans. Brilliant!

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2019/0 ... ated-lots/
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Henry K. Lee
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:48 pm

I just read that, then read it again, rechecked my pack of cigarettes to make sure someone did not slip me a mary jane.

Still shaking my head...., I hope it snaps off with all this ridiculous nonsense!

Hank

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 am

I'm for more California Counties doing the same. "(Sacramento) Homeless advocates support the idea. “A Safe Parking Program with amenities — including dinner, toilets, showers and case management — will provide a safe and dignified place to sleep and provide help in looking for permanent housing and other services,”. (They forgot free Wi-Fi). They think this will end Homelessness but didn't mention in what State or County. Heck - I may buy a van move there myself ... :lol:
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:59 am

I'm more for more people from OUTSIDE California posting POLITICAL COMMENTARY about California... NOT. :roll: Save your Bravo Sierra for elsewhere, guys. This isn't the place.

- - - - - - - - - -

The question is legit - Yes, Sacto county passed that POS law YEARS ago (long before it was fashionable for out of staters to comment on how awful a state they don't live in is)... THe law was passed to stop "midnight tweaker" driveway shops and wrecking yard collections in the front yard. (Yeah, there were a LOT of those there at one time.) The law is pretty universally despised (except for the "nose in your heinie", "wish everywhere was an HOA" types), but if you live there, you know how to work around it.

The main thing is not to run a chop shop in your front yard, and not to keep your neighbors awake at 2AM and pissed. Or yeah, move to a different county.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:57 pm

Life here in Suc-a-tomato really isn’t that baaaad... the secret to having too many ridiculous laws is knowing that there is a law to contradict or undermine every other law. And no matter what you’re doing, there is always a permit required! Even when what you’re doing isn’t allowed by a permit... there is always a special fee you can pay to get around the restrictions. These fees are never affordable, but we survive just fine as long as we remember... the state needs our money more than we do!!

How else can they possibly afford to pay private security contractors to protect homeless people while they sleep in their cars...? And how can they justify the program, if they don’t drive you into bankruptcy causing you to live in your car and needing a place to park for the night...? And I’m sure to offset the cost of the program, they will raise taxes of course... but also ticket the homeless vehicles for expired registration and SMOG violations. After all... the state can’t be harboring criminals!!

So after our last dollar has been extorted in the name of modern society, we now have a mechanism to corral us into internment camps where we can sleep peacefully in our cars, and be easily identified as dry udders

But not to fear... Soilent Green was just a SciFi movie!😉
4AA2FA2C-794C-4C16-B629-81398FF6F94B.jpeg

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:26 pm

I was born in S.F. and lived in Sacto in the early 80's while going to school.
I love the natural beauty of California, and would love to live there. The level
of insanity in government and the populace that votes the madness into office
and law makes it incredibly expensive to live there and causes baldness for
anyone of even semi-conservative politics, pulling their hair out over the lunacy
of public spending.

But most laws, such as the one cited by the OP, are usually seated in a legitimate
reason, which is often based on worst case offenders making EVERYONE pay the
price for the few bad apples. Unless I discover that unknown trust fund that I have
waited for all my life, living in California is likely never going to happen again for
me. But like Kevin so eloquently points out, it can be a laugh-a-minute, if you
embrace the doom. I just accept California as the fountain of amazement and
absurdity that it has become. It is definitely not the same place it was in my Grand-
-parents' time.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:14 am

Like a lot of zoning ordinances, you wont have a problem unless someone rats on you. I spray paint in my front yard and routinely use solvents during restorations and haven't been hassled. As someone said, be good to your neighbors. Mine see me as the eccentric old guy that works on old cars. Maybe they're afraid of me!

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 am

OR maybe the neighbors aren't aware of the law yet. Thank God I'm finising up (?) On my last restoration.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:12 pm

I just read where Climate Scientists have declared Sacramento as being a haven post-apocolypse. Who would have believed that the parking-lot-crowd were so astute! I wonder if they're as good at stock-picking, too?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic