Jess Blaker camshafts from the 70's

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
reolds
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Bausch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Speedster, 1923 TT w/Fabco frame conversion

Jess Blaker camshafts from the 70's

Post by reolds » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:00 am

I have a camshaft in my Speedster that my Dad and I got from Jess Blaker of Turlock, CA in the mid seventies. The engine is all apart for a refresh after 40 plus years. The cam has worn well still looks good. The peak has a nice radius not a sharp point, so I think this means it has some duration. The lift is .240. Appears to be a new stick not a reground, no Ford script. With this cam, Haibe Hi Power Head, Winfield A downdraft carb, Aluminum pistons, stock size but new valves, distributor all the normal Speedster mods the engine will make promises the brakes cannot back up and it has some good grunt to it. I do not know if it is any better than or how it compares to the new cams available. Just curious after looking at it if anyone might know where Mr. Blaker got the grind or any info at all. Thank you Gary Bausch

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Jess Blaker camshafts from the 70's

Post by Kerry » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:43 am

I know nothing of this cam grind intent back 40+ years ago, but if it was going by a standard engine re-build, it would be well worn, a standard lift is 250.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 am

Hi Gary- pretty sure that Jess got all his cams ground at a shop near Turlock or Modesto. The shop name was Weisner and Cerato. I did a Google search, and it turns out they are still in business!! So. . . . here you go!!

I don't recall him ever making any billets, but could be.

Back then, Jess would get cams ground for me and I would sell him rebabbitted 4th mains. it worked out well for both of us. I think the cost of a reground cam back then was about $30-$35.

Dan

Weisner & Cerato Machine Shop
Address: 616 7th St, Modesto, CA 95354
Phone: (209) 522-9048

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 am

By the way- I still remember that bulldog you guys had back then!!

ShirkWood
First Name: Verne
Last Name: Shirk

Post by ShirkWood » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:15 am

Dad & I bought cams from Jess in Texas at the Pate Swap Meet. He sold two grinds. A mild one and a wild one. We ran both of them but liked the wild one better. The wild one has been in the car (1914 touring) for about 20 years. I wish all my cams from him were that grind. He said he started with a Model C Ford grind and went from there. If I remember right at least the wild one had some overlap. They were old T camshafts that were ground. We bought the cams around 1975?...so it has been a while back.

Topic author
reolds
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Speedster, 1923 TT w/Fabco frame conversion

Post by reolds » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:36 am

Thank you Dan. Dad knew Jess already through antique clocks, so when we got bit with the T Speedster bug he was very helpful as was Jess's way. Besides no Ford script, the other reason we are thinking it is not a reground cam, is the area between the lobes is smooth nicely finished, perhaps not the best indicator what it is and is not. I will attempt to post some pictures this afternoon. That bulldog was probably Beauregard, number one of I believe eight English Bulldogs my folks would end up having. Again thank you very much , I will call these folks tomorrow and see if any one is still old enough to remember Jess. Gary B

Topic author
reolds

Post by reolds » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:42 am

My memory from Jess as to what this cam was is he called it a "3/4 race cam". Yes 1973-1974 I was 16 at the time. Thank you Gary B

Don Lyon
First Name: Don
Last Name: Lyon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 23465

Post by Don Lyon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:08 pm

I've always liked the idea of more duration over a little bit more lift. It just seems to me you'd get more fuel in. Don.
been there, broke that

Topic author
reolds

Post by reolds » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Pictures. With more skilled hands than mine the lift appears to be more like .260, the thought also was the cam was wearing as it should. Frank I also thought when I measured the lift it seemed small. It never occurred to me at the time or in later years, the few times when I saw Jess to ask him how the cam came about. The last time I saw this cam was 40 plus years ago. All I do know in my Speedster this cam and all the other parts and pieces combined do a swell job of getting me down the road. I have posted this because I did not ask Jess anything about it. Seems there might be a few more out there.
camshaft 004.JPG
camshaft 003.JPG
camshaft 002.JPG
camshaft 001.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic