Separated Weld on Wire Spoke Wheel; Suggestions on Fix

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Separated Weld on Wire Spoke Wheel; Suggestions on Fix

Post by ModelTWoods » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:28 am

Today, while getting ready to mount a new 21" tire on a previously powder coated wheel, I found a separated weld on a spoke that I had missed before sending them to be powder coated. The weld is on the end of a long spoke going from the rim to the hub, and is on the hub end, right next to the hub cap hole. I know that if I have it re-welded, the powder coating will be "toast'. I, also, know that left as is, even if I don't have an accident, the loose spoke may weaken the wheel by putting extra stress on the remaining spokes. I won't do the welding myself, but leave it to my professional friend. What are some suggestions from owners who have encountered this problem, previously? One thought that I had, was since i could get to the inside of the hub where the spoke is welded to the hub on the outside of the hub, I could drill a hole through the side of the hub right on top of where the spoke was originally welded on the outside of the hub. The arc welding rod, could then touch the end of the spoke with the broken weld and then fill in the drilled hole. That way, no repair would be visible from the outside of the hub. What do you think? any other suggestions?

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Re: Separated Weld on Wire Spoke Wheel; Suggestions on Fix

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:46 am

Got a pic Terry ??

Roverdriver
First Name: Dane
Last Name: Hawley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Nil

Post by Roverdriver » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:16 am

I can't help about the powder coating, but when a friend I were using Model A's for regular transport, we would sometimes come across a broken spoke. i didn't weld in those days, but my friend, an automotive machinist was very good at it. he believed that at the factory, the spokes were heated to expand them before welding. We noticed that any broken spoke was shorter than it should be. He would use the gas torch to heat the spoke and expand it back to original, then ark weld the ends, or arc weld it to the hub or rim as needed.. When cooled the wheel would be as good as new. I can't exactly remember how he overcame the risk of the wheel becoming buckled, but he clamped it securely to a flat surface before he started work.

Having said that though, I bought an A that had five broken spokes in one wheel and gave no trouble. I am sure that the wheels are overbuilt so although they look reasonably light, they are very very strong.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:35 am

Whats your spare wheel like :idea:
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:06 am

Terry, I have done exactly as you suggest a number of times, but always on the rim end at this stage. The hub end should be no different. If you can't get a line up to use a drill, the same effect could be achieved with a 1/4" burr in a die grinder. I use a MIG to do the weld. The trick is not to get so much penetration that you upset the appearance of the hub on the outside. The hub spokes appear to be in a slight machined depression on the outer spoke end, and it would be nice if this is preserved. The inner spoke end is just like the rim end.

Hope this helps, Allan from down under.

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:57 am

Well Terry I'll be the one to say the obvious. Bite the bullet. Remove the powder coat from the spoke area, if you have any doubt about your welding skill have someone else get a good weld on there and have it recoated. Chalk the dollars up to experience.

Andy

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:58 am

If you can get some of the powder coating material you can mix it with acetone into a paste that you can brush over the damaged spot.

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:54 am

Spoke in 9 o clock position in first picture has broken weld at hub. I propose to drill hole on top of loose spoke to weld it from inside hub. Broken weld is clearly visible at hub/right spoke in second picture

" You picked a fine time to leave me Loose Wheel", er, Spoke. :lol:
Attachments
20200215_101446.jpg
20200215_101414.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Terry, if it is possible, tap the spoke aside when you drill the hole. That way you will get a clean hole which will give you a stronger weld.

Two points to mention. I tap the spokes with the wooden handle of a hammer to check if any spokes are unsound before doing any other work. The duds will not ring like sound ones.
Second, some powder coaters like to lay it on thickly, working on the premise that more is better. With T wires, there is a land on the outer end of the wheel hubs which needs to engage with a similar land on the axle hub. A too thick coat of powder coat/paint will interfere with this, and it may need to be removed to get the wheels to fit correctly.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic