Help - 24 Touring hood shelf installation!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
mgarrett
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Garrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster, 1924 Touring

Help - 24 Touring hood shelf installation!

Post by mgarrett » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:14 am

I'm in the process of putting a '24 Touring back together that was completely blown apart when I got it. I'm not exactly sure about the sequence of installation of the hood shelves and wood blocks and need some guidance from the pros here on the forum since I've never installed them before. Is there a drawing or written instructions somewhere to make sure I put them on correctly? The holes in the wood blocks are throwing me off, especially the ones that are countersunk at an angle...I assume they are for the hood latches? Photos would be a great help!
Appreciate any roadside assistance!
Mike in Texas

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Help - 24 Touring hood shelf installation!

Post by George House » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am

Howdy Mike,
Sorry.... no pictures. There’ll be 2 long 1/4” carriage bolts extending through the frame rails - 2 sets of 4 vertical holes per side.The front hood latch also enters the upper hole in the frame - no corresponding lower hole. Then the 2 rear hood latches are installed in the aft end of the hood shelves OUTSIDE THE FRAME rails
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 am

Don’t know if you have one yet but the Model T Ford service manual has a 24-25 Touring car being dissembled. It does have a a pic of the hood blocks ( shelf) being removed. Not a lot of detail but enough of the car is being taken apart to give you an idea of how it would go back together.
For many years it was one of the few sources that a guy could use to work on a T. Nowadays there are quite a few plus the forum.
Hope this may be of help.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:37 am

The wood blocks that go under the shelves have to be the same thickness as the lip around the shelves. Also, the reproduction boys have a tendency to get the angles for the hood latches wrong. The car in the service book is a 1924, not a '25. Finally, the four bolts you will need are indeed carriage bolts, but not standard ones. There are two short ones, and two long ones. The heads on these bolts are a much smaller diameter than a standard bolt, and should be turned down to the correct size. I hope I haven't given you too much data here, but you asked for it!

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:11 pm

As Larry mentioned, the carriage bolts are different than current hardware store variety. I chucked carriage bolts in a drill press and reshaped and smoothed the heads with a file. They are not perfectly accurate but I'm fine with it.

If you don't have a manual yet you can view one on Cimorelli's website until you get one. The printed version will have better graphics depending on the publisher. The manual is here.

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/servicemanual/default.htm

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:17 pm

Photos of '23 low cowl hood shelves, with wood blocks installed. You put the assembly together and drop it over the fender which is on the frame rail. Then add the carriage bolts, if using engine splash pans, they secure under the square nuts and lock washer on the ends of the carriage bolts.

A '24 hood shelf is similar.

Mount the springs and hood latches, be sure to use small dia. washers and fold over the cotter pins, as the spring and latch must pass thru frame rail holes and not hang up.
9236.jpg
Factory assembly from Service Manual.
166948 (584x598) (537x550) (488x500).jpg
166948 (584x598) (537x550) (488x500).jpg (139.02 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
mgarrett
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Garrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster, 1924 Touring

Post by mgarrett » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:20 am

Success!! When you first look at all the pieces laying on the workbench and compare them with the holes in the frame and splash apron, nothing makes intuitive sense. High praise to all those who came to my rescue!
:D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic