Running boards

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Cambin
First Name: Cameron
Last Name: Smythe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Duncan and Fraser 1/2 ton pickup and a 1922 Sydney built steenbhoms tourer

Running boards

Post by Cambin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi everyone I’m restoring my wooden running boards on my 1922 tourer I’m in Australia and is wanting to know what type of wood I would need or use
Also what thickness are they
Cheers

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Running boards

Post by Allan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Cameron, I have used Meranti, which is similar to the once available Queensland Maple, and Australian Oak/ Victorian Mountain Ash. Both are period correct, knot free and quite strong enough. However, new stock PAR boards are finished at 19mm whereas original timbers for this use were 22mm.

If you are going to trim the edges with aluminium angle, the good news is it is still available, with the 6-7 ridges along the top side, just like the old time stuff. With linoleum or ridged rubber on the boards, and 22mm boards, the angle is a neat fit.

You will have to purchase thicker new boards and have them planed down. Otherise you may get lucky at a salvage yard for old time 22mm [7/8"] boards. Capral have the aluminium. It comes out of a Queensland plant and may have to be ordered in. That will cost you a silly stocking fee/order fee if they do not hold stocks in Victoria. I bought more than I could use when i biult my D and F roadster, so I can help if you can't find what you need. Perhaps I could deliver same to Ballarat swap meet.

Hope this helps. Allan from down under.

Topic author
Cambin
First Name: Cameron
Last Name: Smythe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Duncan and Fraser 1/2 ton pickup and a 1922 Sydney built steenbhoms tourer

Re: Running boards

Post by Cambin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi Allan would it be possible for you to call me this afternoon after 4:30 please
Cheers cam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic