Inside diameter of rear axle housing?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Inside diameter of rear axle housing?

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:21 am

Need to know the inside diameter of the axle housing where the sleeve fits (without sleeve in place)? Or what the diameter of the replacement bearings that slide into the housing? Thank you Les for the idea you had in one of your post about a question I asked some time back, re using Model A hubs.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Inside diameter of rear axle housing?

Post by Allan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:27 am

Mark, I don't know why you need the measurement, but the replies will vary if they come from making measurements, rather than quoting a factory published dimension. When I was making floating bearings I found that the tube internal diameters varied as much as .012". With the length of the bearing carrier and the use of a flexible sealant around it, this variance could be overcome. Given the rough finish inside the tube, an accurate fit will be a compromise of sorts, but custom turning components to each housing meant a close fit could be achieved.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:13 am

Allan wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:27 am
.....but the replies will vary if they come from making measurements, rather than quoting a factory published dimension.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.
I agree with the above quote and will add this; the last 3 or 4 rear axles that I have done the dimension at this point has always been higher than what is quoted from the MTFCA axle book. On page 21 it says it "approximately 2.210 inches." but they may also be worn or have been made oversize. I support the "oversize" statement from the book. The last axle that I had done, the inside dimension was 2.180" to 2.240", depending on where you measured. This "inconsistency" was not because the axle housing was worn at this point but rather the original machining was done poorly. Looking at the inside where the sleeve would go (on both axle housing halves) you could see that the cutting tool was dull and they were running it too fast. Lots of machining marks and smooth "wear" spots where the sleeve was making contact, that is where the 2.180" dimension was coming from, wear spots 180 degrees opposite one another. The rear axle that I had done previous to this one was the same way. Hopefully someone will post with what the factory blueprint/spec. "should" be. Until then, as Allan had said, the replies will be from making measurements.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Topic author
Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:03 am

I have an idea that I am working out. I did some checking on the housings I have and was finding the measurements all over the place. It sound like because of the way the bore was turned, the best approach might be to do a hone, re install the sleeves get the measurements then add the thickness of the sleeve to get the average for the outside diameter that I would need.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks guys for the replies, I think we are going to approach this idea of mine from a different way.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic