Running Board Tool Box on Ebay now.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Running Board Tool Box on Ebay now.

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Just seen on EBAY, ending in a couple of days: a running board tool box in very nice condition. Included with it is a reproduction Model T Service Manual, a Model T Owners Manual of unknown year, a few tools that look to be later vintage than T, but the big surprise is a Minnesota Title and Insurance Card for a 1923 T. The date on the insurance card is more than 15 years old. I could not tell whether the title was open. The unusual thing about this auction is that its being offered by a Phoenix, AZ PAWN SHOP ! How a pawn shop got these items, I do not know, but I hope they were obtained LEGALLY ! Most people have heard about stolen items being pawned, which raises my suspicion.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Running Board Tool Box on Ebay now.

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 am

The box looks OK, but that's more than I'd pay for it. The tools are Model A or later, not Model T.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ford- ... SwafJeVCDc
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:43 am

Somebody needs to run those numbers!
Something is fishy there.That date of 03 is new enough I doubt that car got "scrapped" .Perhaps street rodded,but the title would then be used for the street rod .
Getting a title for a built car is a process I am going thru right now,and now more than ever it makes me madder than ---- that people are still able to get away with buying a title and cheating the system.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 am

That's not a Minnesota certificate of title.

It's a carbon copy of the Minnesota application for title and registration or for transfer of an existing title and registration. If it were in better focus, I could determine if it is a new application or transfer.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Erik - from Minnesota

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:23 pm

How much the tool boxes worth?
I need one, why I don’t know, but I need one.😁

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Generally you may pay $30 to $50 for a good tool box. Just be sure you get the right size, if you are fitting to the running board.

The better widths are 8" to 9"max. Heights 6 1/2" to 7" or so.

That one on eBay seems too big for a T running board.

IMG_1229 (800x582).jpg
IMG_1227 (701x800).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:59 pm

I was going to say I think I gave 30 for the first 1 I bought. The second 1 I got was given to me by a friend that had no T's or interst in them but had bought the "really Neat tool box" for 2 bucks 40 years ago. He said,"Here you need this!" So hopefully I can fit it to the speedster.
But this particular tool box, with the books and such, aint that bad of a deal.It is just that paper work with personal info and title numbers that bugs me.
What I would really like to know is there any such thing as getting keys for them?
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:41 pm

Yes you can, find a good locksmith and they can duplicate key, if the lock is still operable. Sometimes the locks are rusted too bad.

As for the eBay tool box, it is too big to place on the T running board.

Took a comparison photo of my 9" box with the Ford Service book riding in the lid, you can see how much bigger the lid is on the eBay box.

But not a real bad price @ $80 for what you get, Ford Service is worth $32 along, tools about $15 total with those hinge things, maybe $20 ....so that nice shiny box is at $33 or so ;) bundled that is. May be nice size for the rear deck on a spiffy speedster :P
ebay box.jpg
Tool box  .jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Locks with the round bottom like the one on the toolbox on eBay are usually Yale locks.

If the lock has a squared-off bottom, they are typically Corbin or Eagle.

The above take flat keys.

I've had toolboxes with keys. If a key from one box fits other boxes that I own, I've use that key profile or the brand name and number stamped on the key to find additional keys. I've been able to find keys at antique shops and estate sales. I've also taken a key from the same lock company and filed the required notches in it to match a key that works.

Also, if you do know the brand and key number, it is possible to find additional keys on eBay.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:28 pm

The service manual measures 8.5", so the eBay box looks to be about 9" wide, like the one on my runabout. That's a little wider than a T running board, but that's OK if you make the right mounting brackets for it. I did that for my box and my cans so I wouldn't need any extra holes in my running boards.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:26 pm

ModelTWoods wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:50 pm
........ The unusual thing about this auction is that its being offered by a Phoenix, AZ PAWN SHOP ! How a pawn shop got these items, I do not know, but I hope they were obtained LEGALLY ! Most people have heard about stolen items being pawned, which raises my suspicion.
Searching on the name/address shows that they Louis Mueller (address on registration) may have retired to Sun City Arizona. Call/email him....? scary what we can find out about a person
mueller.jpg
Attachments
mueller.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:28 pm

Ok
I just bid on it
I want the box

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:28 am

Last box I bought at auction was in pretty much identical condition, but without all the stuff inside Paid $20. I watched a few folks look it over before the bidding started and didn't like the fact that "somebody drilled some holes in the bottom". Yep, heard 'em say that. I was the only bidder.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:57 am

It would certainly fit the wider running board on a 26-7 T.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic