A question to those who use wood bands

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
L.I. Tom
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Pilz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 roadster, 1923 roadster pickup

A question to those who use wood bands

Post by L.I. Tom » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:57 pm

I know that any band material lifetime is based on driving habits as well as other criteria. But for those of you who use wood Assuming average driving style I.e. Minimal slipping And decent drums How do they stand up. Also any recommendations as to suppliers?

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Re: A question to those who use wood bands

Post by Dan B » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:52 am

This topic has been discussed many, many times on the forum. If you google search “wood bands mtfca” you will find many of those posts. Here’s one for example:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1440961087

Everyone will take away something different from reading those posts.

In my experience, wood bands have been great. I installed them after a cracked brake drum shredded my Kevlar lined band.

The only supplier that I’m aware of is Guinn’s wood bands.

http://www.guinnbands.com/
1923 Touring

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:17 am

Tom- it's wise of you to ask questions regarding wood bands but keep in mind that the drums were designed to have cotton applied against them. Will you be using 100 year old drums or new ones?
drum.jpg
drum.jpg (11.43 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:27 pm

I've used them on my speedster for 26 years and love them. In that time, I've replaced low 3 times, reverse and brake twice (I have aux brakes). Considering that I haven't always been kind to them, I think they have held up remarkably well. Oh, and all of that time has been on original drums that were in somewhat worn but good condition. That car gets at least 2,000 miles a year, certainly no garage queen.

The primary complaint I've heard is that they can chatter and/or engage somewhat harshly. I think that is somewhat a matter of getting used to them but they would never be as silky smooth as a Kevlar or cotton band can be.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 pm

We have used wood bands in our 26 runabout for almost 20 years. Yes we did have some chatter but I did solve that by switching over to using 10W-40 motorcycle oil. Been using the mobile one synthetic with no chatter problems at all. Just my experience, others have used a multi-grade oil with added Lucas brand oil supplement to solve their chattering problems. As long as the bands roundness conforms to the drum there should not be any chattering or just a minimal of chattering.

Topic author
L.I. Tom
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Pilz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 roadster, 1923 roadster pickup

Post by L.I. Tom » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Thank you for the replies much appreciated. Tim unfortunately yes I plan on using used drums again as of right now As much as I'd like to I just can't swing the price of new one's would love to have them someday I'll keep saving my pennies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic