Fed-Ex!!!! How *could* you!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Cigarboxrob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Frankel

Fed-Ex!!!! How *could* you!

Post by Cigarboxrob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 pm

...I thought I’d hit the jackpot when a member sent me a PM that a set of top irons for my ‘26 had popped up online-And the bends, breaks and folds were simply: “Character.” I bought them before I could blink.

....Today, they arrived-I noted the crushed box with multiple rips. My heart sank.

Opening the crushed box, I pulled out equally crushed and torn top irons.

Did I mention that I love a good challenge?

I’m using a: “Trash-Can Electrolysis Tank,” and I’m about to soak the irons for a few days. Once I see what I’m left with, I’ll happily photodocument my restoration of the: “World’s Worst Top Irons.”

...Stay tuned for more! This will take a *lot* of straightening, brazing and luck (As well as a few beers and a *lot* of swearing!) but if I can get these irons sorted out, there’s hope for all restorers on a budget!

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Fed-Ex!!!! How *could* you!

Post by Bob McDaniel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:19 pm

Sorry to hear Fed Up did it again. I have no idea why anyone would still ship anything with them. I have had them drive around my house for 3 days only to send me a note in the mail that they can not find my address and my wife and I even stood in the yard waving our arms in the air as they drove by. We are the only house left on what is now old St. Rd. 25 so its not like we are hard to see. Then when I do get the package it looks like they tied to the rear bumper and the contents will be toast unless it was packed by superman. Sometimes they drop off packages here that are not even mine! I do have a post at the end of the driveway with the address on it but they can't read it I guess. Please don't send me anything with Fed Up, the worst shipper in the world.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:31 pm

Curses! If the packaging was seriously damaged by F-E ? I do hope they will at least compensate you for purchase price or some token amount if they were free?

I have had some remarkable success with electrolysis de-rusting. I have also had many dismal failures. Apparently, when the chemical is fresh, and all the electrical connections clean and solid, it works well. But it doesn't seem to last long. The process is by its very nature self-destructive. It does NOT clean inside tubes, cylinders, or other confined spaces very well. It prefers what would amount to line-of-sight. I did clean some confined spaces by insulating a probe line and poking the non-insulated end inside the rusty item. Required switching the battery connection from the fixed electrode inside the tank to the probe. And you have to be careful not to short out the tank by touching the probe to the object. It worked, but not great. The electrical action wants to move the water along with the rust particles (fascinating to watch in a tank that is working well!), and the confined space restricts the desired motion.

Thin-wall electrical conduit can be cut to length and split lengthwise and shaped to fit to create splices. Placed inside one area (usually the lower end) and brazed into place. It may be wise to drill a few (3/8 to 1/2 inch) holes in spots to spot-braze for additional stability. The tighter the splint fits, the better. Replace broken pieces and finish braze.

Later top sockets can usually be forced open to get inside somewhat to aid straightening, and brazing of splints. Then carefully (usually heat will be required) re-closed and usually spot-brazed/welded to hold closed and in shape.

It CAN be done! Especially with a bit of creativity and by someone that likes a challenge.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:37 pm

To tell you the truth it sounds like you were actually expecting junk anyway. Good luck or the repairs.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:49 pm

I have had luck de-rusting parts using a phosphate product - Krud Kutter Rustex-Rust Converter. There are many similar products, this one is biodegradable. Small stuff I drop in a bucket, straight stuff in a PVC Tube, odd shapes I wrap in some paper shop towels lay in they down in an old heavy shower curtain and keep the towels wet and wrapped in the plastic to prevent evaporation. Only takes few hours and the wash/wire brush residue off. When done the items have a bluish tinge. The solution is reusable many times over - $25 a gallon.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Cigarboxrob

Post by Cigarboxrob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 pm

....Charlie, as a fella originally promised the top irons in an online “con,” I’ve learned to expect the worst-But appreciate the best! Since it appears the original company that made replica ‘26-7 top irons decided to discontinue them, *none* of the major parts suppliers seem to have them in stock-Even at the four-figure price bracket!

...Regardless of whether or not my restoration process works or not, perhaps I can provide valuable insights on: “What and what *not* to do!”🤣

Topic author
Cigarboxrob

Post by Cigarboxrob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:55 pm

TRD Bx2-I was actually just looking into similar products!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:42 am

I posted these before. Started out with the rust photo, the second photo: brown plate is after the residue was washed off, the silver plate is after wire brushing.
Attachments
Rust1.jpg
after.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 am

I guess the package was insured or it should have been. How was it packaged? I’ve had packages damaged by UPS but so far none by Fedex. It both instances the boxes weren’t packaged well or incorrectly. UPS paid in full for the damage and then some. And I kept the items and repaired them.

Since my item losses with UPS I now always over box items I ship and hope they get there OK. And adding fragile labels don’t help.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:54 am

If you receive a package that is obviously damaged, when you sign that you received it, you should ask the driver to note that the package arrived damaged. You should take photos of the unopened, damaged package, with the label, prominent in the pictures, then document, with pictures, the opening of the package, then the unpacking of the contents. If the contents are not damaged, be happy and delete the pictures. If the contents are damaged, you have photos to document the opening of the package to submit to the shipper for an online claim at their website. If the damaged item was purchased on eBay and was paid for with Paypal, in most cases, Paypal will refund the full amount,including shipping, if you cannot resolve it with the seller after a certain amount of time and it is determined the seller was negligent. I have file many claims in this manner and have won all of them. Jim Patrick

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:45 pm

I’ll step in here as someone who ships a lot, fed ex is the only choice for me. We have shipped large stuff for years and tried them all. Believe me. Our stuff always arrives safely because we overpack. Snug, padded, double, sometimes triple boxed. On the occasion where something cannot be damaged, shrink wrapping is something fedex allows, and UPS doesn’t. That makes a big difference in shipping cost, as dimensional weight is what they charge. Sometimes it makes a difference between fed ex and truck freight. AGAIN, shrink wrap is only good for something that cannot be damaged. We still try to pad the edges with cardboard. Good marking on shipment is important, and also a tag inside. On unwieldy stuff, tying cheap rope to the package will be much appreciated by the carrier, and cut down on rough handling. Something that helps grab the package. I’ll agree with Bob, sometimes rural locations are a challenge , on pickups and on delivery.
I think the original post wasn’t about anything fedex did wrong. When you buy a sows ear, you can’t expect to receive a silk purse.
Forget about ever getting a claim paid by UPS. We’ve not had a claim with fedex, EVER, so not sure about them. My mantra is a great packing job is the best insurance.

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:31 pm

U P S UNITED PARCEL SMASHERS

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic