2019 20th National Snowmobile Meet, Forestport, NY

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

2019 20th National Snowmobile Meet, Forestport, NY

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm

I have never been to one of these meets. I'm pretty much a fair weather tower, so driving in the snow, while towing only brings back certain flashbacks I wish not to relive. For me, the stars aligned today. And after a two hour drive to Forestport, NY (just outside of Utica, NY), I unloaded my little T doodlebug, installed the skis, and joined in the fun. The Trackside Blazers snowmobile club (modern snowmobiles) hosted the event, the T Snowmobile club set up shop, and many, many T based machines showed up. I have heard it was the best attended meets in several years, and I had a blast. Several of our local T chapter - Capital District Chapter of NY-- (based out of the Albany area and surrounding counties) also lent a hand for the meet.

I have to say, hats off to everyone that helped to make the show happen. I had an absolute blast. Several signs were posted around the Trackside Blazers clubhouse property captioning "free rides, just ask". We all gave rides to anyone that wanted to. I had several people stop and talk and after a brief conversation, if they hadn't already asked, I stopped them and asked if they wanted a ride. Everyone said yes. Such a fantastic time and several people said they were now considering dragging stuff out of the back woods at home or back of the garage to do something like this with.

Model T Snow meet 2019 1.JPG
Model T Snow meet 2019 2.JPG
Model T Snow meet 2019 3.JPG
Model T Snow meet 2019 4.JPG
Model T Snow meet 2019 5.JPG
Last edited by Chad_Marcheese on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Chad_Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job

Re: 2019 20th National Snowmobile Meet, Forestport, NY

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Some more.....
Model T Snow meet 2019 6.JPG
Model T Snow meet 2019 7.JPG
Model T Snow meet 2019 8.JPG
Model T Snow meet 2019 9.JPG
Model T Snow meet 2019 10.JPG

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 pm

That is great, Thanks for sharing.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Topic author
Chad_Marcheese

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks John. Its a great way to enjoy the T's year round in the snow belts of America.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:45 am

The Model T Snowmobile meet was an awesome event. I know a lot of volunteers did a heck of a lot of work to help make this happen. I also appreciate all the work the T (and TT) owners did to bring together this unique collection of vehicles. And I thank all the people we got to share rides with on a perfect early spring day in the North Country of NY. Thanks to everyone for a truly memorable weekend! jb

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:56 am

Do you guys use the tt rear ends on these machines? It looks like the low gears would advantageous. About the skis, Are all the skis period correct? The one set that looks to be attached to the front wheel hubs look,to me, to be the most correct.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Topic author
Chad_Marcheese

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:27 am

John,

The skis like those on the green sedan above are the correct style era skis. There are reproductions out there.

The ones on the front hub on the black pickup (with yellow headlights) that look like old sleigh skis are homemade.

Most of these conversions are based on TT chassis and rears, alot of them have Ruckstells and or Warford or similar auxiliary transmissions. There are a handful of car chassis / rear conversions out there however.

My doodlebug was built (not by me) with a TT rear and a 1924 Buick 3 speed trans between the T trans and TT rear. Yesterday I was using that transmission in second, with the T trans in high gear...mostly because we had a whole bunch of open space to run. Normally around here, where I am in particular, I run the Buick in first, and just use the low/high on the T trans to control my speed (I have minimal space to run around the house). My skis are vintage homemade (again, not by me).

My 'bug

Our T Tractor 74.jpg

z_carrico
First Name: Zachary
Last Name: Carrico
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 25' TT doodlebug, Champion Draw Pull/TT sicklebar mower doodlebug, '25 TT Snowmobile

Post by z_carrico » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Some updates and thoughts:
While Chads skis are not originally made by him, he did spend a fair amount of time re-building them for their new lease on life and they seem to be working just great.
There were around 20 vehicles there, all were running worm drives except one that had a T rear with Ruckstell it was a light vehicle and really moved in that snow since it didn't have much for low gears.
I have to hand it to these guys who traveled 250-to 350 miles one way to bring their vehicles, real dedication there, then getting everyone started up with temperatures that only just broke above zero when everyone was getting fired up at 9 am. (We hand cranked mine and that oil was thick!)
As noted above the local club did a great deal of work using groomers to clear several feet of snow for the wide roadway with parking for guests along the edges and and separate parking lots for all the trailers and Snowmobiles -great hospitality.
I think it is the 4th picture from the top of the thread was a snowmobile that was moving nearly all day driven by three teen age brothers (or at least the older two, I think the youngest was 14?), their grandfather brought them out and they were everywhere, used 10 gallons of gas or more on Saturday. Those boys were just covered in snow from the tracks they were absolutely smoking as it evaporated when they were standing by the fire to warm back up before heading out to drive and give more rides, it was great to see.

The sedan Chad mentioned and pictured was just finished, if you look close at the rear shot there is something funny about it, the toolbox is sitting on the back of the frame, the TT frame. Very nice rig very well done, it is sporting all the correct Snowmobile brand period equipment likely reproduction, as the owner is the person who reproduces the Snowmobile parts.

Topic author
Chad_Marcheese

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:14 am

z_carrico wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:37 pm
I have to hand it to these guys who traveled 250-to 350 miles one way to bring their vehicles, real dedication there, then getting everyone started up with temperatures that only just broke above zero when everyone was getting fired up at 9 am. (We hand cranked mine and that oil was thick!)
I think you had a worse time getting yours started then mine. The oil was ridiculously thick. Good thing I had the torch and starting fluid for us to use. I'm not so sure a starter would have helped, although its something I need to put on and wire in. But once past that first initial start in the morning and things got warmed up, throughout the day several people commented to me how they loved that I was hand cranking it----like I had a choice!

Yes, it was a dedicated group by all---especially those volunteers that helped make all of this happen. What a great time!

And FYI, my skis would not be what they are if it wasn't for you, Zac was a HUGE part in helping to get me fixed up with new wood for them and steam bending them. You can see pics posted on the older forums in the old doodlebug threads if interested.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 pm

What a great thread Chad! Thank you for posting these!
Out of the blue on Sunday, my wife gets a text from her BIL. He sent her a good, short movie clip of the event that said
"show Duane". :)
He's from southern MN and not involved in anything like this. I figure he found it on faceplant by chance. Tim Snow I believe was the OP.
Good T music! I mean the engines! :)

Here's a link I found in a one minute search from AllThingsDIY Mike on youtube. The sounds aren't really anything to write home about except the sweet, throaty AA snowmobile and the very first T. He says he drove his 550 GTX Ski Doo (not "23 ski doo" :lol: ) 30 miles to see you folks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBjS0c2Y76M 9 minutes of video and pics. He got your doodlebug in some video too Chad!
Silly question maybe: Why didn't ya have the blade on? ;)

Take this next bit with a HALF grain of salt and perhaps your tongue firmly implanted in your cheek! Remember, I'm "only" 54. :lol:
Music: I guess it's the norm to play that consarned 50's music at a car show... eh hem... old snowmobile meet... that Mike picked up on his phone.
We tried that for 2 years at a car show we've been putting on since 1999 and a friend (the organizer) said "Duey, ya gotta start playing 70's rock." OK!
I conjured up 12 cd's to play and still use them today. We have a good show with good music! Prob'ly the only in the country.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Chad_Marcheese

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:03 am

Duey_C wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 pm
What a great thread Chad! Thank you for posting these!

Here's a link I found in a one minute search from AllThingsDIY Mike on youtube. The sounds aren't really anything to write home about except the sweet, throaty AA snowmobile and the very first T. He says he drove his 550 GTX Ski Doo (not "23 ski doo" :lol: ) 30 miles to see you folks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBjS0c2Y76M 9 minutes of video and pics. He got your doodlebug in some video too Chad!
Silly question maybe: Why didn't ya have the blade on? ;)
Hi Duey, Thank You for the interests and finding the videos.

I was asked several times why the plow blade was not on. The answer is simple. It doesn't fit with the skis (they are too long and would hit the plow blade).

burnsjf
First Name: JOHN
Last Name: BURNS
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 SPEEDSTER
MTFCA Number: 15894

Post by burnsjf » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:51 am

The skis on the Model T Roadster with the yellow headlight lenses are the first version of skis from The Snowmobile Company in Ossipee, NH. The earliest conversion kits had these skis along with canvas track belts with metal cleats. The canvas belts had a tendency to come off the wheels and were replaced by the Snowmobile Company with the metal tracks. Look in the "Historical Photos" for the early type skis.

2019 Annual Meet - Forestport, NH
2019 Annual Meet - Forestport, NH
Link to the Model Ford Snowmobile Club's website:

http://modeltfordsnowmobile.com/index.htm

Topic author
Chad_Marcheese

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:32 pm

I stand corrected. I didn't know that and was told over the years they were homemade. Thank You for the update, always good to learn.

Topic author
Chad_Marcheese

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wol8g5ILqao

There are also some on the Model T Group on Facebook if your on that. I am not myself, but can navigate the public site to watch the videos.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic