1912 dashboard moulding corner finish

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

1912 dashboard moulding corner finish

Post by Aussie16 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:18 am

I have a 1916 pickup project which I am building with the earlier style dashboard and hood former. I purchased the brass molding from Lang's that I thought would do the job. It has the brass edge that hangs over with a slight curve on the top. Because of the curve it is difficult to get a nice square mitre join on the 90 degree edge of the rectangular dashboard. anyone have a picture of that type of brass mold in service and how it is finished?

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Re: 1912 dashboard moulding corner finish

Post by Colin Mavins » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:23 pm

I have a 1912 I have not found a picture yet but the molding on my car is the original and at the corners it is cut on a 45 degree angle at the corners and fix tight, it is 3 pieces screws are in the centre of the molding.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: 1912 dashboard moulding corner finish

Post by Allan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:50 pm

Warwick, is it a solid brass extrusion or folded brass channel? On my van I used the folded brass channel. I had Snyders cut it in 3 pieces so it could be posted. The joins are under the windscreen to firewall mounting brackets, so they are not seen. On the original car I used as a pattern for the screw spacing, the channel was one piece. I achieved the bends by hand filing a 90 degree V in the folded edge and this allowed the material to be bent accurately, the V closing as the bend is made.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic