Drain the Sediment Bulb ... Regularly!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Drain the Sediment Bulb ... Regularly!

Post by A Whiteman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:31 am

Yep, I never bothered with an annual drain (or more often).

But, Albert would not start.

I traced this back to no fuel in the carb bowl, then no fuel coming out the fuel line, then no fuel coming out the sediment bulb ….

The tank is easy to pull so I took it out and stripped down the sediment bowl, to find it full of water and thick green algae like scum!

The scum had blocked the valve to the tank and the drain cock and the sediment screen completely - that was why there was no fuel.

I was amazed by how algae grows in the dark, oxygen less environment like that.

Moral of the story - drain your sediment bowls when parking up for a while ;-)

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Drain the Sediment Bulb ... Regularly!

Post by Kaiser » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 am

The green stuff is not algae, its bacteria that grow in the water ethanol mix in that crappy modern gas of today :evil:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

rosenkranswa
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Rosenkrans
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touriing
MTFCI Number: 22021

Post by rosenkranswa » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:12 am

For years Dad's '26 T would regularly sputter to a halt. He would get out, disconnect the fuel line and use his handy-Dandy fuel line cleaner (a broom straw) to break up a rust clog, put it all back together, and motor on. At some point, a previous owner had cobbled together a Model A type clear glass sediment bowl and several elbows in the line. The sediment bowl was always clean, but fine rust particles would collect in the elbows. One weekend when I was visiting (he lived in Denver, I live in Philadelphia), I pulled the whole contraption out of there and replaced it with a proper Model T sediment bowl and proper fuel line, then pulled and cleaned the carburetor.

I showed him how to clean the sediment bowl which I suggested he might want to check and clean-out before he drove anywhere since the tank was evidently rusting. Shortly after that we agreed to bring the Model T to PA since he was getting to where he couldn't enjoy it anymore, he passed a couple months later.

For about a year, a would check the sediment bowl and clean the filter every couple of drives, and it was pretty full of fine rust particles. I found and bought a gas tank assuming I was going to have to replace it at some point soon, but over the next several months the amount of rust caught by the filer slowed down to the point now that there's virtually none. Not sure what changed, and I still have the tank on the shelf ready to go.

Topic author
A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:03 pm

The green stuff is not algae, its bacteria that grow in the water ethanol mix in that crappy modern gas of today
Hi Leo, we do not use alcohol/ ethanol in our fuel in New Zealand yet (- thanks goodness), but I am not a biologist so what looked like algae, could be bacteria.

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic