Alemite Grease Gun

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Alemite Grease Gun

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:58 pm

What type of Alemite grease gun was and is correct for the black T era? Want to buy one for my tool kit.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Alemite Grease Gun

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:14 pm

The type that would be common to T era would have the screw type plunger and non flexible tube. While some have updated some of their grease fittings to Alemite, they would not be correct for Model T's.
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow ... s5uhcNwosY
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Those Alemite types were common only in later '20's as std. on some cars.

The Model T stayed with spring lid oilers and dope cups for grease, all hand loaded, the T didn't come with a grease gun.

In 1924 Alemite® was purchased by Stewart Warner®, and within a couple of years, passenger cars were equipped with an Alemite® brand held grease gun and hose assembly as standard equipment. In the same year, Stewart Warner® also purchased the Allyne-ZerkTM Company of Cleveland, Ohio. The Zerk line of lubrication fittings and hand grease guns were added to the Alemite® line. Grease guns became increasingly familiar to the general public, and most automobile lubrication was performed by car owners.

The Model A used the earlier Zerk type (no little ball bearing to keep the snout clean) and was supplied with a grease gun in the tool kit.

Some T's were retro fitted with Alemite pin type, during the period of hand grease guns, example is this fan pulley hub!
IMG_3820 (500x375).jpg
IMG_3820 (500x375).jpg (86.92 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
Then today the more modern style Zerk can serve this spot as well.
Igh0706.jpg
Igh0706.jpg (125.08 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:41 pm

Thanks, Dan, Almost every T tool kit that I see has a grease gun, so I thought they were standard, or at least, optional equipment. I knew Ford used flip up oil cups on everything, so I should have realized that they was no need for a grease gun. :lol:

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:52 am

Terry

The A kits came with the grease gun, this kit is appropriate for an 1928 Model A

A47AE723-D291-44AB-BC28-0F715DAF8A91.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 am

Dan, What is that wrench that is to the right of the sparkplug wrench? I have a early 29 and want to complete the tool kit.

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:45 am

Jim

Don't think that piece is part of official tool kit. Was just noting what would be appropriate for Model A. Sourced that photo online.

https://mafca.com/tqa_tools.html

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:51 am

The wrench being asked about looks to have square opening so would be for adjusting the brakes on a Model A and was bought later to add to kit. Re "I knew Ford used flip up oil cups on everything" After about 1917, only the shackles, tie rod ends and kingpins had flip top, (1908-1927)the rest were screw down cup type. The earlier cars used the twist to open type oilers on the shackles, tie rod ends and kingpins like what was used on the generator. In between the early and later cars, the manhole type was used on the tie rod ends and kingpins.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:40 pm

As an example....my ‘19 hack came to me with Alemite aluminum aftermarket hub caps on fronts.

While I’d agree that the screw type squirt gun is maybe more period correct, my choice is the screw type with braided feed line...to me it’s just way cool!
Attachments
B3E390B4-97D7-4EE2-A230-62ED2D0323C3.jpeg
21E31B42-4B73-4C36-816A-D87E629A873E.jpeg

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:05 pm

I have seen the Alemite pin fittings installed on old Model T rear axles and other places many times. My 1923 White had them originally. I was pleased to find this gun with a scoop for filling it with grease. Also the data sheet it came with. The sheet is for 1/4 turn fittings rather that the pin type.
Alumetc3.jpg
Alumetc1.jpg
Alumetc2.jpg
This is from a search on the web:
The Carr Fastener Company introduced a grease gun for automobiles and heavy equipment that featured an acme thread with a 1/4 turn engagement. The company was primarily known for its fasteners for such things as tops and side curtains.
These grease fittings were used on late model Stanley Steam Cars, including the Model 740, Model 750, and the 1925 and 1926 SV or Steam Vehicle Corporation cars.

As for Alemite, this implies they were introduced when the company started in 1918:
https://www.skf.com/alemite/about/alemi ... index.html
When did I do that?

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Slightly off topic, but maybe worth considering:

I commonly see something that I think is a mistake with grease guns. A type of grease gun that must be pumped with both hands should never be fitted with a flexible hose. A flexible hose is fine on a grease gun that can be operated (pumped) by merely squeezing a short lever with your fingers like you do when you release a Model T emergency brake lever. But when you have to hold the "fat part" of the grease gun with one hand, and pull a lever back with the other hand to operate the grease gun, you don't have a third hand to hold the metal fitting at the end of the hose tightly against the grease fitting. I guess there are some grease fittings whereby the business end of the hose locks onto the grease fitting, but I don't think this is always quite possible 100% of the time either! FWIW,.....harold

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:26 pm

Harold

if you study the Alemite fittings and hose/tube ends, you will see that the gun/hose twists onto the fitting and is tightly retained by the pips on the fitting on the vehicle. There is no third hand necessary.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:13 pm

Slightly OT and not Ford, but in case anyone wondered about greasing in white cuffs...
IMG-1259.jpg
IMG-1260.jpg
IMG-1261.jpg
IMG-1262.jpg
IMG-1263.jpg

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:37 am

Harold Schwendeman:

If you are referring to Zerk fittings, see this video why you shouldn't need to hold the coupler tightly against the Zerk while pumping the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9MNUHwUFY

Video showing the same process - note how the coupler can be tightened and loosened on the Zerk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seEQ06-UKdA

There are also quick release couplers for Zerk fittings. I've never used this style of coupler but I assume it's easier than trying to twist the traditional style with greasy fingers:

https://locknlube.com/products/locknlub ... gKx3vD_BwE

2nighthawks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm

Well,....thanks to you guys and this great forum, I've learned a lot about grease guns and fittings that I never knew. I know about Alemite and Zerk fittings, and besides some great videos that some of you have posted, know I know even more. However, there is a cone-shaped fitting that I have experienced on a couple of these old Fords that just look like a cone shaped pimple (don't know how else to describe them) and they do not have the knob shaped protrusion to lock onto,....they are just smooth. This thread has prompted me to do a lot of "internet exploration", however, I have not found anything on this smooth, cone shaped type of grease fitting that I've tried to describe. I just know that in the past, I've found it difficult to force grease into this type of smooth fitting that you can't lock onto like normal Zerks that have the bulb-shaped little knob that we're used to. Strange that I can't find anything on the internet about this smooth cone-shaped fitting, and for all I know (or don't know) maybe this isn't a grease fitting at all, just some sort of oil point. I have however, learned a lot more about loading the cartridge type grease gun, and now see a couple reasons why it's always a messy struggle for me. Thanks guys for the response,......harold

2nighthawks

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Oops! There's an extra "know" in the third line which should just read,......and NOW I know more.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Harold

those cone shaped fittings have a curved frustrum and are not typical cones. They were used on model A's (that much I know) and do require a special adapter tip to charge the volume of grease. Said adapter is pictured here: https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mode ... tings.html

and the fittings it mates with: https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A353000OR.html
Scott Conger

2nighthawks

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:43 pm

Scott - WOW! That's it Scott! Thanks so much for the MAC'S links to the grease fittings and especially for the adaptor! And you have certainly cleared up a mystery for me! I have a '29 Model A Briggs Town Sedan, and four Model T's, and now that you mentioned it, it is indeed the Model A where I have encountered those little cone shaped grease fittings. (....even with the link to MAC's, I still don't know what they're called :lol) And I certainly did not know about the adaptor, but I'm for sure gonna' order one.

Again, now that you mentioned it Scott, I not only remember that it's my Model A where I've encountered those weird little cone shaped grease fittings, but now I also remember that it is in Les Andrews Model A manual where the author makes a point of showing a drawing of the 5 (yes, FIVE) different types of grease fittings used on the Model A Ford! (.....why on earth did Ford do that???)

Anyway Scott, thanks for the very welcomed "education" and I hope this thread, and your information, helps somebody else as much as it has me! :D

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:21 pm

You're welcome Harold

funny what we can learn on this forum, huh?
Scott Conger

2nighthawks

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:20 pm

YUP! At least half of what little I know about old Fords, I learned on this forum,.....now,.....if I could just remember some of it! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic