Inner Axle bearings

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rosenfelder
First Name: John
Last Name: Rosenfelder
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T touring
MTFCA Number: 49923

Inner Axle bearings

Post by Rosenfelder » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:45 pm

I am finally in the process of re-assembling the drive train of my '27 touring. I think that I have the bronze thrust disks properly adjusted. My question is do I pack the inner two axle bearings with axle grease? They seem to be open to the differential area which is lubricated with 600w. There is no grease cups for the inners only the outers.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: Inner Axle bearings

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:04 pm

I certainly do.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:33 pm

I don't know Jerry,....that certainly sounds like "belt & suspenders" to me, but then it certainly couldn't hurt. I know that in looking for good, reusable rear axle bearings at swap meets and such, where it can be determined if a Hyatt axle bearing was an inner or an outer, it is always best to select the inners, because invariably, when determining wear with a micrometer, the inners usually seem to be in much better shape than the outers. And I would naturally conclude that this is due to the fact (as the original poster here mentioned) that the inner bearings are constantly lubed with gear lube.

......but then the last time I "expounded" my "vast knowledge" here on the forum, I soon learned that I didn't know as much as I thought I did about the subject,...... :oops: .....harold

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:41 pm

I don't do mine, however, I don't think it would hurt anything. The gear oil will soon dilute the grease anyway, and since those bearings do not support the weight of the rear of the car but only a bit of weight from the differential, most of the wear is from rotation of the axle. I don't think it is necessary to grease them.
Norm

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:17 pm

The book says to add cup grease. Usually a smear on the rollers and some to hold the washers together.

Or many times have slipped the Hyatt in 600W, and wiped some of that heavy grease into the new sleeves, don't want those new sleeves dry, and then some on the washers too.

Really helps more to put grease on the washers to keep them in place as you fit the two halves.

Those inner Hyatts will soon be swimming in 600W :P
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

2nighthawks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster

Post by 2nighthawks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:41 am

Dan - It's the INNER Hyatts that he's asking about whether to grease them, or NOT grease them.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:08 am

The way I read it Harold, that's what Dan is referring to, the inner bearings, no washers on the outer ones.

2nighthawks

Post by 2nighthawks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 am

Hmmm,.....I guess Dan's mention of "sleeves" and "washers" made me think that he was just referring to the outer Hyatts until his last line which for sure, pertains to he inner ones.

Well, it's late, and I'm finding out that I shouldn't post when it's late and "past bedtime"! :D

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:09 am

Harold

Correctly stated could have been better, but was referring to the inner Hyatt’s.

Ford Service, Chapter XV, Overhauling Rear Axle, para. 616: “lubricate bearings with cup grease”

IMO better to lube any new dry bearing surfaces in sub assemblies.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:37 am

Since cup grease is impossible to find these days, I use front wheel bearing grease. I can't imagine anyone putting those bearings in dry!

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Norman Kling wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:41 pm
I don't do mine, however, I don't think it would hurt anything. The gear oil will soon dilute the grease anyway, and since those bearings do not support the weight of the rear of the car but only a bit of weight from the differential, most of the wear is from rotation of the axle. I don't think it is necessary to grease them.
Norm
Those bearings get plenty of load every time you climb a hill or apply the brakes.

2nighthawks

Post by 2nighthawks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks for the clarification Dan; sorry if my mis-understanding and resulting comment in any way confused the issue,.....harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic