Water pump

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

Water pump

Post by Divcoone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:38 pm

How many of you use a water pump? I have one that creates a belt problem (throws it off). I want to remove it altogether.
Bob Giles

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Water pump

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm

I bought one in 1967. I couldn't see that it helped any. I have 5 T's running now without them. There are many here that wouldn't run a T without them. I just haven't been convinced.
This question has started several intense arguments over the years. Perhaps that is what we need to get through these troubled times.
Please be kind to each other.
Rich
When did I do that?

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 pm

Bob,

Conventional wisdom is that if your cooling system is in good shape a water pump is totally unnecessary and can actually interfere with the operation of the thermosiphon system, diminishing the cooling. Typically, the presence of a water pump would indicate that something is wrong with the original system and someone compensated for the problem with a pump instead of actually correcting the problem.

Are the radiator fins tight and not separated from the tubes? Are the tubes and tanks clear for easy flow? Are the block and head water jackets clear and allow free flow?

My advice is to remove it and see how things go. If there's a problem it will show itself soon enough.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:30 pm

A T with a properly functioning radiator does not need a water pump. IMHO :D
Years back, before good aftermarket radiator production, I think they would help a semi-plugged radiator flow enough to get by, especially in parades.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:59 pm

Bob,
As far as your problem go's it may not be the water pump, T's with out a pump will spit the belt off if either or both the crank and fan pully's are worn. The vendors sell a bolt on guide to help this from happening.

Topic author
Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Divcoone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Thanks for the good information.
My water pump is not in proper alignment with the other two pulleys, causing the belt to run off. It doesn’t come off completely, just rides up on the flange.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 pm

Remove it and throw it away.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Remove it and throw it away.

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 pm

WARNING!!! If you remove the water pump, which I recommend you do, don't forget to also remove the thermostat!

The original "thermo-barf" system didn't use a thermostat. When a water pump was installed, some folks also installed a thermostat. Without it, the engine would take quite long to warm up, and run badly until it did.

The normal place to find a thermostat is in the upper connector - the cast-iron piece that bolts to the head, and the upper radiator hose clamps on to. A normal thermostat, that will fit almost any car that uses them, will fit right nicely between the connector and the head. That means removing the hose and the bolts, and that means a new gasket where it bolts to the head.

You can usually check to see if there's one there, by removing the hose, and looking or feeling into the connector. If the passage between it and the head is an open hole, no thermostat. If there's any kind of impediment there, it's probably a thermostat.

As long as you're removing the thermostat, which means pretty much emptying the coolant, why not take the time to clean the system? Calcium from the water, and rust from the engine, build up and impede the water flow. It will make a lot of difference, and what the heck -- you can't go anywhere else for the next week or so, anyway!

You'll be replacing the lower hose. Go ahead and buy both lower and upper hoses, and clamps if you need them, and two gaskets, as well as a lower connector, which takes the place of the pump. All the vendors have them.

Most folks start with everything in place, and fill the system with some cleaning solution. Let it sit a while, then remove the lower hose from the radiator and watch the gunk spew out! (Don't do this on your nice clean concrete driveway!!) Then rinse and repeat. And rinse and repeat, and rinse thoroughly before final fill with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and (preferably distilled) water.

The best cleaning solution will get as many opinions as the best oil to use! Some are quite acidic and can be dangerous, and some go the other way. Ask your fellow at the auto parts store, and if he's over 50, heed his advice. Most folks on the Forum have had good luck with CLR, which is easily available at hardware stores, and relatively cheap.

Happy T'ing --- when we're allowed out again!!

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 am

I think a lot depends on your car and where you live. I know guys up here in near tundra that never run water pumps and don't use thermostats. Their cars run fine for them. My car runs cool and warms up too slowly without a thermostat (160 degree). On cooler days (70 degrees) without the thermostat, the red in the motometer would barely register in the sight glass. Required frequent mixture adjustments, and fouled plugs more. With the thermostat; plugs stay cleaner, requires fewer mixture adjustments once its warmed up, and the red in the motometer still hits only the bottom of the circle. On the rare day in the 90's it barely reaches the middle of the circle. So, the thermostat works for me. I do have a water pump too. I think its in a junk pile in the corner of my garage someplace.

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:51 pm

here's what I did , I bought a temp guns , the ones you point it at a spot and it gives you a temp reading . Run your engine up to running temp with the water pump on ,take reading at different point , front head back head rad . Then take the water pump off , do the same thing . On my 1912 it run cooler with out the water pump so the water pump never went back on ,it run 40 degrees F cooler with out the water pump.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic