Hood Retainer Clip Question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DontKnowMuch
First Name: James
Last Name: Sanford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 26 Roadster, 27 Roadster

Hood Retainer Clip Question

Post by DontKnowMuch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 am

On my 1927 Roadster, the hood center hinge rod pops out of the hood retainer clip on top of the radiator when I open the hood. Is something missing that would hold the rod in place?
Any suggestions for an easy solution? A cap or cover?
Thanks

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Hood Retainer Clip Question

Post by CudaMan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:23 am

No, there is nothing to hold the rod down in the front clip, it's just a pocket for the pivot rod to reset in.

It sounds like your middle hood hinge could use a good oiling. That will allow the hinge to move freely and prevent the hinge rod from popping up when you open the hood. :)
Attachments
front_front_view.jpg
rear_front_view.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

jiminbartow
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:02 pm

Mine did the same thing until I drilled a hole through the side if the retainer, through the rod and out the other side of the retainer. I then took a small slotted machine screw and, using it as a pin, pushed it through the hole and secured it with a nut. Not original to the T, but effective. Jim Patrick
E64AC4E2-56B0-4BFD-A922-FBFFFE471C59.jpeg

The screw head and nut need to have small enough profile so as not to make contact with the hood hinge when the hood is closed.

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:42 pm

I think you will find it is not attached at the front , this allows you to remove your hood . It will not flop around when you have the hood latched . My 12 is open like that at the rad and a hole in the hood former works great for the past 108 years. If the hood pops out place it back in and away you go .

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:44 pm

I think the front edge of the hood is a little somewhat deformed. I’d remove the hood and very slightly bend both forward edges over my leg while sitting down. I had to do this once upon a time to keep the rod from popping up from the shell .
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:46 pm

Jim, your hood is misshapen, or your hood is out of alignment with the radiator shell, or both.

jiminbartow
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:04 pm

Thank you, Jeff. You are correct. My hood is a reproduction I bought in 1972 during the first restoration to replace the original hood that was rusted through in places and the rod was frozen in place which cracked the hinges on both halves. My new hood did not quite conform to the curvature of my radiator, which caused the front of hinge rod to not seat all the way into the front retainer even when secured with the hood retainer clips. Instead of trying to bent the hood to conform to the radiator and possibly cause damage, I decided to secure it with a machine screw as I described. When held shut with the hood clips the hood holds tightly against the radiator shell. Whenever I need to remove the hood, which is very seldom, it is a very simple matter of unscrewing and removing the screw. Works for me. Jim Patrick

Topic author
DontKnowMuch
Last Name: Sanford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 26 Roadster, 27 Roadster

Post by DontKnowMuch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Thanks for the answers and suggestions. This is an unrestored T and it is very possible that the hood is bent. I will check it.
Thanks again for the replies
Dennis

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:11 pm

When assembling my 1917 shooting brake, I used the same closed retainer on the firewall and the radiator shell. Silly move. The radiator shell end must be open. Original black era hoods have a bend about 1.5" out from the centre hinge. This allows the centre hinge to sit low in the keeper on the shell.This bend has to be made in the reproduction hood panels, as they are normally left straight. Without this bend the hinge will be high in the keeper and lifting the side panel only makes it easier for the hinge rod to pop out.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic