Turn signals

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John L
First Name: John
Last Name: Leffler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Coupe, 1927 Touring
MTFCA Number: 22526

Turn signals

Post by John L » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:57 am

I want to put turn signals on my 23coupe . What are you guys using for lights and brackets?

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Re: Turn signals

Post by thom » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:09 am

As much as I like the extra "insurance" that turn signals provide, especially after dark, I cannot bring myself to install them on our '21 Touring or our '28 A Coupe. I hate the look of ANY add-on lights. They ruin the looks of the cars, in my eyes. If I find some magnetic or clamp-on lights that could be installed and then removed without damaging the cars I would probably use them. Otherwise I will run without them. just my .02 worth.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:11 am

I used 2 of these on the front.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Red-Ambe ... SwuOZeUZgm
You just make a lightwieght L bracket and honestl,I used a very strong 3M double sided tape to put them on the bumper brackets and you can see them,but they are not "out there" to ruin the looks of the T. BUT any LED that you use,you will need to use a electronic flasher instead of a Thermal flasher as the current draw from LED is not enough to prompt the thermal flasher to work.
You can see them below the headlights.
Attachments
0223201259 (Small).jpg
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

vech
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Vechorik
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1922 coupe
MTFCA Number: 32602

Post by vech » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:29 am

I have a 22 coupe. In the interest of safety, (with today's idiot drivers) I searched ebay and found these two antique arrow directionals to use on the front. They are 4 inches in diameter. I made the stalks out of steel round stock and flat bar, and a bit of welding, to mount them under the same nut that holds the headlight stem to the fender bracket.
They almost look like they should be there, and fool onlookers since they are not modern plastic things.

For the rear, I bought 2 reproduction 37 Ford tail lights, and made the mounting brackets out of steel round stock, that I heated cherry red, and wrapped around a 6 inch piece of steel pipe to get the nice curve. I welded plates to each end to attach them under the body and to the directional housings. I have LEDs in both front and rear lights. And the rear has brake and tail lights. As you can see, the pine trees are having sex in Mississippi, and everything is yellow! :lol:

The last photo is a detailed shot of how I made the rear brackets.
Attachments
front.png
front.png (446.76 KiB) Viewed 8292 times
tail.png
tail.png (357.66 KiB) Viewed 8292 times
Screenshot_2020-03-21_10-20-37.png
Screenshot_2020-03-21_10-20-37.png (324.04 KiB) Viewed 8292 times
"If a fly can, a flywheel" :shock:

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:38 am

I mounted my fronts in the same place. The rears I mounted above and below the cross sill on the back of my Huckster. I am running LED's for tail/brake lights and tungsten for turn signals. Only issue I am having right now, with the tail lights on, I am getting signal feed back when the turn signals are on, both tail/brake lights flicker when on.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

old_charley
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Ostergren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 cut-off touring/pickup: 1922 Touring car: 1921 TT Dump Truck
MTFCA Number: 8082

Post by old_charley » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:24 pm

For my turn signals I wanted something that looked reasonably period correct. I found my rear lights on Ebay and the fronts at a swap meet. For the fronts I mounted them under the headlights and used the plates from shackles as brackets. For the rears I bent some bar stock and clamped it to the spare tire carrier. I found the switch assembly on Ebay. I think I paid about ten bucks for it.
WIN_20200321_09_07_36_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200321_09_11_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200321_09_10_43_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200321_09_09_25_Pro.jpg

vech

Post by vech » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:36 pm

I neglected to mention that I bought from Restoration supply, a self cancelling turn signal magic box, that I am really pleased with. You can find it here: https://restorationstuff.com/

And, I bought off of Fleabay an old add on directional switch for the steering column and used it after replacing all the original wires on it. I machined down some aluminium on the lathe and parted it off to make a thick disk, and I cut a "V" in the side of it, and finished forming it with a file to fit the steering column, so the mounting clamp for the directional would seat properly on the steering column.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-03-21_11-32-36.png
Screenshot_2020-03-21_11-32-36.png (411 KiB) Viewed 8250 times

CamMan
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Young
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Tudor, '22 speedster, ABC/Rajo

Post by CamMan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Most of the turn lights I see are ugly IMHO. I think most of the arrow lights you find came off of school buses. My speedster had these cool period turnlights. I've never seen another pair in captivity. Why doesn't someone reproduce these, so we can have safety without ugly?
Attachments
Turn03.JPG
Turn02.JPG

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:24 pm

In today’s motoring world an arm signal for ‘right turn’ (or 'left' in the US) or ‘stop’ is often cheerily replied to with a friendly wave or sometimes another gesture that is not really nice..... The fact is today’s other road user has most likely never seen hand signals before, and probably can’t locate the relevant page in the Road Code either. That becomes a worry when you are actually making that turn across the lanes!

One should move with the reality of the times I guess – at least as far as indicators go.

Herein lies a conflict as I like my cars to be as ‘original’ as I can get them while installing easy to see ‘blinkers’. That means choosing the 'best' of what you can find and installing components where they are clearly seen but also meet your aesthetics. So I guess no two installs will the the same.

On a more technical note here is a wiring diagram I used for my TT truck (apologies to technical folk, this is my shade tree approach) I tried to keep the blinker lights away from (what there is of) the standard T wiring circuit:

One change to this is I deleted the fancy column switch as it fell apart internally when in use :-( so I use a simple "on-off-on" switch with a light built in. The wiring stays much the same.
Wire001.jpg

This is the (simpler) wiring diagram I used on my (horror) non-T (1924 Morris) that shows the 'on-off-on' switch wiring a bit more clearly:

Schematic.jpg
Schematic.jpg (25.41 KiB) Viewed 8163 times
Last edited by A Whiteman on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Mark check your grounds very well,the brake and turn are trying to ground thru the tailights.
Here is what is on the rear of my pickup.The red lens was busted out of it,I used the red lens repair tape from Advance auto and it seems to be holding up well.Double layered,stuck to it's self.
Attachments
T project photo.JPG
DSC00025.jpg
DSC00025.jpg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 pm

My Betsy came with the turn signals available from the vendors. The front ones are on little angle brackets that bolt to the front fender irons and the rear ones are on long stalks that space them down from the rear of the frame so that they can be seen even though they are tucked up below the pickup bed. I have a Signal Stat 700 on the steering column to control them, so my horn button is on the RH side of the steering column. I also have a couple of Auto Zone reflectors attached to the tailgate. :)
Attachments
IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_5589.JPG
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:30 pm

I am thinking grounds also. The main ground to tail/brake lights (turn signals too) comes right off the battery as everything is mounted to wood.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:11 am

I have the possible advantage with a flatbed TT of being a little more "forgiving"
in terms of aesthetics, for adding turn signals. At least out back. I went with a
similar period fixture. I was not concerned with doing anything up front at first,
but later found some very small period fixtures that I can make almost invisible.

The next step was how to make it not obnoxious in the cab. I started with a
horn button housing and through a lot of trial and error, found a 3-point switch
that could fit inside it AND mount to the horn button housing. But a modern toggle
switch was not going to cut it, so I made a miniature version of a spark/throttle
lever and mated it to the toggle workings.

Not sure if the T cars are as noisy inside as a TT, but driving around with a blinker
on is as useless as having no blinkers at all, so I thought I'd complicate this one step
further and place some micro-tiny diode lights at the bottom edge of the dash that
will blink with each side, since I could never hear a sounder. And for good measure,
picked up a "STOP" light to work in with a switch on the brake pedal.

Next up is wiring harness to link it all together.

DSC05284.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

TBill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Obier
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 TT, 1913 Speedster (WIP)
MTFCA Number: 28973

Post by TBill » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:02 am

I’ve been thinking magnetic attached and wireless.

So far I’ve only found bicycle size, but still looking.

May need to invent something.

Really don’t want to put something permanent and out of place on my restored Fordor.

Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Divcoone » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:11 am

These are ELights. Only protect the rear. They have a sequential arrow and a 4 way flasher.
Attachments
1A7354F7-D5F8-4C72-AD98-001FFC01091B.jpeg

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:50 am

My electrical skills are challenged even by the simple system on a Model T so perhaps the answer to this question is obvious but it certainly escapes me! Why can't the e-lights be designed to operate two signal units so you could have one on the front and back using the same controller?

PDGx
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Grohsmeyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘17 TT Holmes Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 27359
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by PDGx » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:15 pm

I didn’t see anything requiring pairing to the controller, so they might all be on the same wireless ?

Anyone have 2 ?

They have worked well for me, using the detachable bracket for autos. The lights themselves are much cheaper purchasing the ‘bicycle’ version, and the auto bracket separately.
B961311A-E30D-470C-B4A8-1D40B2B273A9.jpeg
CD88140A-8112-49BB-8F37-EFA3396A86A4.jpeg
If my short term memory gets any shorter, I won’t even have thought about what I’m going to forget.

17 TT Holmes Wrecker
22 Mack AC Tiltbed Wkr
30 A Rdstr PU
58 Mack B-61 Semi Tractor

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:40 am

As posted elsewhere here today i coverted my sidelamps to led in a way that is reversible in about two seconds to petroleum again, and i affixed a white board with two wingnuts and a trailer connector plug, on the board are a couple of reflectors and brake and direction lights, the board can be taken off in seconds and everything is back to original in a jiffy if i am on a car show.
Safety first !
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:58 am

Robert and Paul: 2 comments re the Egypt wireless lamps, from experience.
1. Be careful about their mounting on the rear. The fixture CAN, and WILL, eventually work
its way loose! A friend of mine lost his within a month of useage. As you remove/replace the
fixture, the mounting bracket "tensioner" gets weak, and it vibrates loose. If you've ever
followed a car with these lamps on the rear, you will see how much they "dance"...
You need to use either some wire or plastic cable ties to wrap around the unit and the bracket
so you don't lose it down the road. I've had mine "dangle" from them once arriving back home.

2. Out of 4 units on 4 cars overall, I've only had a 50% success rate. My only car now that
has one is my '13 Touring, and half of the time I don't even turn it on, as it will eventually
just start to act crazy. Like not turn on when you push the button, or when it does, it
won't turn OFF! I've returned to Egypt Garage, they couldn't find anything wrong. I've given up.
My '25/26 Fordor has "real turn signals", I modified the rear lamp for tail/stop/turn, and added
one on the right side. Also put on the nice rectangular 6V amber front lamps from Snyders
in their Model A section. They fit on the bumper nicely, just had to make sure I got a good
bare spot for the grounding.

Just my two cents!!

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:07 pm

I used the Model A style rear lamps. Mounted on the rear spare tire carrier completely removable. These lamps come with 2 sockets per lamp. Believe I converted one socket to dual filament giving me stop/turn /tail capabilities. Kind of "old timey" looking turn signal switch pretty sure came from Lang's. Stop light switch was from Fun Projects which I HIGHLY recommend. The kit is worth the price for the excellent mounting bracket alone. Used the acorn lensed lamps for the front. Don't remember if they were dual filament or I converted them. One word of advice: DO NOT rely on them to alert the driver behind you, (or in front for that matter), because they won't. In fact the worst incident I ever had driving the T outside my development happened 2 days after I installed mine. Stopped at a red light in a left turning lane with the left signal on, The traffic light turn arrow comes on and the stupid **** behind me cuts out on my left side and makes the turn. It's just dumb luck that he didn't cut me in half. Would have hit me square in the driver's door. We're all just chimps that talk.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Goes back to how vintage and functional you want to be. After a lot of thought, this is the route I took and the brake switch was from FP. OK, so putting cloth covered wire inside of asphalt loom is a little OC...but like the T...it’s therapy!
Attachments
ACABCBF5-BC18-4451-A5CD-CC205CF4FDD5.jpeg
B13C7D8E-C20C-441B-8A6F-06BA916F2464.jpeg
E65FBB1B-0729-4456-8902-9B1A4F13F447.jpeg

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:35 pm

but like the T...it’s therapy!
Ah George, a man after my own thought... :-)

Tmooreheadf
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Moorehead
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring, 25 Coupe,
MTFCA Number: 22348
MTFCI Number: 18916

Post by Tmooreheadf » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Pleasing to the eye is important. I put turn signals and brake lights on out of courtesy for the guy behind and in front of me. Large LED truck oval ones. When I hit the brakes, the guy behind me knows exactly what my intentions are. Same with the turn signals. And if I want the car to look correct, I take the lights off for correctness and put them back on to drive. I appreciate it when I get comments about our lights when on tour. Super Bright LED supplies the lights, Hidden turn signal builder Casey Miller supplies the turn/brake unit.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:37 am

I used harbor freight dual face red/amber trailer lights. Bob Doris fabricated the brackets which attach to the top tie down post on each side of the touring. The set of lights on the rear has good visibility of the amber lights from the front of the car as well as red Tail,stop,turn. from the rear. Brackets with lights can be quickly removed for show and stowed under seat. Flasher switch is a double pole double throw center off switch mounted in a existing dash hole with LED ready flasher with built in sounder.

Novice
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack

Post by Novice » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:51 am

Pictures of dual face amber/Red saddle post mount lights.
Attachments
IMG_20180626_203930210_LL.jpg
IMG_20180626_204157379.jpg
IMG_20180613_182134246.jpg

Novice

Post by Novice » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:03 am

Color of lights is washed out in photos. tail lights are Bright red with brake lights on. forward facing lights are amber in running light mode.

TFan
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 am

Just posted this pic in the thread about licence plates and thought it was fitting for here also.The switch is like the one Vech posted except I shortened the stem and knob on mine to make it a little more compact. Jim
tail light 003.jpg
tail light002.jpg
taillight 001.JPG
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Randall strickland
First Name: Randall
Last Name: Strickland

Post by Randall strickland » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 am

B151ED0D-64B5-4F45-8B92-9573DA3ECC2B.jpeg
Attachments
01500789-21D5-4440-9F92-92EED28C0F8F.jpeg
13D6DBF3-4C17-4CB9-ACB6-0CFC71D94D4F.jpeg

vech

Post by vech » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 am

On our 1915 touring car, I put LED boards in each light, and added a second oil light to the rear, and have directionals front and rear, and obviously brake lights on the rear. In order to keep from butchering or changing the oil lights in any way, I took the carriage bolt that mounts the lights, out of each one, and put it in the lathe, and drilled a hole, though the center of each one. Since LED's don't require any heavy gauge wire, I used 22 gauge, and pulled it through woven tar impregnated sheath that I bought from Rhode Island wiring. DISCLAIMER: No oil light housings or wick assembles were damaged in any way, in the making if this documentary.. :lol: They are still in place in each lamp.
To "sorta" hide the switch, I used a rocker switch for an electric winch for an ATV and mounded it on a bracket, just in front of the left arm rest. The rocker of the switch had "in" and "out" labels which looked like crap, so I made a small brass plate, and stamped it with "L" and "R" and glued it on the rocker of the switch to cover the in & out.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-03-25_08-27-47.png
Screenshot_2020-03-25_08-27-47.png (422.65 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
Screenshot_2020-03-25_08-28-45.png
Screenshot_2020-03-25_08-28-45.png (439.84 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
Screenshot_2020-03-25_08-28-15.png
Screenshot_2020-03-25_08-28-15.png (398.43 KiB) Viewed 7393 times

Novice

Hockey Puck Lights

Post by Novice » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:57 pm

If You don't want to install turn signals or additional lighting. But would still like to improve the visibility of the back of Your black car You can use the rechargeable hockey puck magnetic lights with a programmable flash pattern to get the most visibility attention from tailgaters.
Attachments
s-l64.jpg
s-l64.jpg (1.28 KiB) Viewed 7252 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic