Turn Signals vs. Hand Signals

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Turn Signals vs. Hand Signals

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:35 pm

Recently, there's been considerable discussion on the forum about turn signals. There are those when just can't stand the sight of "ugly add-on accessory turn signals" and absolutely will NOT install them on their Model T, due to the "ugly" appearance. Well, I think they should just "get over it" and realize that there ARE some very discreet turn signal kits that really don't look all that bad, and install turn signals anyway.

However, I can understand their objection, and why they'd prefer to just use hand signals. But here's something I've noticed. As we all know, many people nowadays, especially the young folks, don't really know what hand signals are all about, because they are so used to the modern turn signals on all cars. When some Model T driver sticks out his arm and hand to indicate a left turn, quite often, the driver of the following car is mostly looking to his left to see what the Model T driver pointing at. And here's what I think any Model T driver that's using hand signals should consider:

It is very important to extend your left hand/arm to indicate that you are going to slow down to make a left turn way BEFORE you begin slowing down to make the actual turn. Because if you extend you arm to signal a left turn JUST BEFORE you turn as you are slowing down, and the following driver is looking at where he thinks you are pointing, he doesn't notice that you are slowing down and so YOU GET REAR-ENDED!!!

The point is, if you insist on using hand signals rather that installing turn signals on your Model T, then by all means,....USE PROPER HAND SIGNALS AND USE THEM EARLY ENOUGH SO THE KID FOLLOWING BEHIND YOU HAS TIME TO FIGURE OUT THAT YOU ARE SLOWING DOWN, AND WHY YOU ARE SLOWING DOWN. From what I read lately on the forum, we're seeing more and more "rear-enders" and I believe what I've described is one reason why!

Okay,......end of "lecture",.....but I do think it's important in staying safe,....FWIW,.....harold

Larry e rutt
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Rutt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor

Re: Turn Signals vs. Hand Signals

Post by Larry e rutt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:48 pm

So... is it ok to use your passenger to signal right turn with their right arm? Or should you use your left arm the textbook way ?? People might think you are deflecting air into the cab when signaling left turn...when I am by myself I usually signal right turn with my right arm, even in my fordor...that is just the way I do it.. do whatever works for you.

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:00 pm

USE PROPER HAND SIGNALS AND USE THEM EARLY ENOUGH SO THE KID FOLLOWING BEHIND YOU HAS TIME TO FIGURE OUT THAT YOU ARE SLOWING DOWN, AND WHY YOU ARE SLOWING DOWN.
Fully Endorsed.

Right turn by passenger? Good point well presented.

Questions: Which option do you think gives "The Other Road User" the clearest and easiest to understand signal? How soon should you signal before you turn to make sure you are seen? What is the biggest risk - left turn or right turn?

Just like this virus attack response - be safe, be seen and ensure you can keep your distance.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:10 pm

The trouble with handsignals has been for me,regardless of what I am driving,is people think a hand out the window means go around. I think the handsignals section of the drivers ed book is not pointed out or studied or may not even be in there any more.
But 1 thing I do belive, being I was nearly killed in a high speed rear end collision, A turn signal is much prettier than my hurting backside and a distroyed vehical.
We had blinking lights of all sorts all around us and on the truck,didn't do any good. BUT having the lights,and them working,was a great help in settleing who was responsiable for the accident.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:20 pm

I use my turn signals when I feel that a hand signal will not be safe and after dark, I also make sure that my arm is straight for a left turn and a right angle for a right turn and make sure that I am pointing my finger so people don't think that I am waving, I also make it a habit to use my signals even when no one is around. The biggest problem with a habit like that is when my wife and I are walking down a side walk she has to walk on my right side because I will sometimes signal for a turn when we get to the corner.

Pat Branigan Wisc
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Branigan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 two1910, two1911, 1913 Tourings
MTFCA Number: 52262

Post by Pat Branigan Wisc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:44 pm

I open and close my fist with my arm out hoping to draw more attention. I have held a blinking LED in my hand too. Especially when making left hand turns. I have the passenger in my right hand drive cars make hand signals for me as I wonder how many realize what the signals mean out the right side of the car. Blinkers and a brake light would be far more safe but for us purest will have to do the best we can with today's traffic.

principal6553
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Ross
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by principal6553 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:17 pm

https://youtu.be/bQ4vB55z0RE

Hopefully this link works! It shows a pre-1900 Mercedes Benz. Turn signals are required in Germany. Check out the solution! Not electric, and not exactly hand signals either!! They use a “signaling disk”!
CBD7497A-FAB6-4FA8-817E-4C3EB9BF44B3.jpeg

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:57 am

Great footage of the Benz Victoria !
The biggest problem with hand signals is that these days drivers do NOT understand their meaning, biggest problem is with the left turn and slowing down signals, these days sticking your arm out is generally understood as the signal to allow a tailgater to pass, which is a big problem when slowing down to make a left turn...
The tailgater behind you speeds up and comes alongside while you are slowing down and moving over to the left, a bad scenario indeed !
My solution was to convert my side lamps to blinkers in a way that allows me to return them to petroleum in two seconds, and to affix a white board with brake and turn signals under the rearend with two wingnuts and a trailer connector plug so it can be taken off so all looks original for show purposes.
Safety First, i've never been rearended and hope to keep it that way !
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic