Auburn, CA Swap June 7--if it happens, no pie?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Auburn, CA Swap June 7--if it happens, no pie?

Post by david_dewey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Just found the flyer for the Motherlode T clubs annual swap meet--arguably the best N. California OLD car swap. Still scheduled for June 7, though hard to say if we will be allowed out of our homes by then. But I notice it says, "Food on site provided by Maria's Food Truck." What, no club-made burgers, hot dogs, nor PIE???? NO PIE!!!????? Uh Oh. . . . Although last year they couldn't serve Lemon Meringue, which was a major loss! Health regs, you know, have to protect us from ourselves (before you start telling me how those rules are required, I did hold a "serve-safe" license a few years ago, so I do know one has to be careful--but pie???!!!)
I think I'm starting to get cabin fever. . . . .
T'ake care,
David Dewey

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Re: Auburn, CA Swap June 7--if it happens, no pie?

Post by frontyboy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:35 pm

I ain't goin' if there's no PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frontyboy

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:41 pm

Hey there David D ! I love lemon meringue pie!
Big problem for me though,is that when I get around truckloads of model T parts? I go NUTS for the parts I need! By the time I can tear myself away from the T stuff,the pie is all gone!

One fun thing about the current situation? One can go off on an unrelated rant and blame it on cabin fever! (I did that myself last night on an OT post.)

Topic author
david_dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor

Post by david_dewey » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:06 am

Wayne, I know that problem, so I have an alarm set on my cell phone for 9:15--PIE TIME. I used to set it for 9:30, but I missed out one year, so . . . .
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:47 am

Thank you David D !
I needed a good laugh.

Philip Lawrence
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 5591
MTFCI Number: 25062
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Philip Lawrence » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:11 am

David, if your only interest in going to a swap meet is a slice of pie then something is very seriously wrong with your thinking. You would be better off staying at home and spending the money you would have spent on gas and the entry fee and buy a couple of pies at your local grocery store.

That way you get your pie, and maybe the rest of us won't have to listen to your childish yearly complaints about not getting the kind of pie you like. Seriously, grow up and act like an adult and get over it!

A lot of very dedicated members of the Mother Lode Model T Club work very hard to organize our swap meet every year in June. We have been doing this over 45 years. Some of us work all year long to make our club's annual swap meet a success. It takes all hands on deck to make this work, setting up all day on Saturday the day before the swap meet. Some of our members are up all night Saturday as security, others in the club are there on Sunday long before dawn and stay late into the day. We all do this as volunteers for the benefit of our club but also of course for the old car hobby in general.

This is one of the last if not the last swap meet in Northern California dedicated to the earlier car hobbyist. The Chevy club, Buick club, and Horseless Carriage club swap meets in Northern California are a thing of the past. So David perhaps you should be thankful for us and our swap meet instead complaining about not getting a slice of pie!

Unfortunately this year's swap meet may have to be canceled because of the coronavirus and our government's response to this public health crisis. We all want to be safe and stay healthy until this major health threat passes. Swap meet updates will be coming soon.

Philip Lawrence
2020 Mother Lode Model T Club President

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:16 pm

Philip Lawrence
2020 Mother Lode Model T Club President rants on.

Phillip,
You need to lighten up a bit and learn how to recognize satire.

Topic author
david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:49 pm

Phillip,
I am sorry you failed to recognize my "awkward" way of expressing disappointment that you will have a food truck instead of the wonderful homemade food the club has always prepared. While this is the best EARLY car parts swap meet in northern California (and actually only eclipsed in ALL of California by the Bakersfield meet, IMHO), the food was a definite special part of the meet. I recognize that setting up for it, and meeting the Health Department's regulations is a hassle, and your club membership is probably, like most clubs, getting long in the tooth (as am i--I notice I am no longer asked if I'm selling my Father's Model T stuff) so some simplification of the preparations in required. If I didn't live an hour+half modern car drive away, I would be a member of your club, a great bunch of people. I do hope that you will be able to hold it, for everyone's sake!
As for my Pie "fix" I do not need to stoop so low as to buy a store pie, I can bake my own (although my wife makes a better filling than I--but I still do the crust for her), I AM the grandson of a Flemish Baker! As for growing up, well, I still play with toy trains; getting old may be unavoidable, but growing up is another thing entirely!
Wayne, I will have to bake a pie for the next time we get together! Might have enough for Terry H. to join us too. . .
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:27 pm

David D
At 5am mountain man pie in the flask
But
I know one pie makers so getting a slice of pie easy
For me

frontyboy

Post by frontyboy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Phillip,

Lighten up and enjoy the humor with all the dark stuff around us these days. Sorry you missed the attempt at some silly humor. I will say that was some of the best damn pie I ever had and it was worth waiting a year for. I will miss the pie and the swap meet this year, but will be back next year. I learned to buy my pie when I got there rather than to wait until it was too late.

sorry you missed the point, maybe next time slow down and smell the roses before you jump on someones attempt at humor.

frontyboy :lol:

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732

Post by TFan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:54 am

Well you could always come to Marietta, Ohio next year and get some of their most excellent Pie, this years was YUMMY! Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Richard Instness
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring, 1923 runabout, 1926 coupe
MTFCA Number: 14107

Post by Richard Instness » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:45 am

David Dewey,
As a 30 year member of the Mother Lode Model T Ford Club who has worked hard at every swap meet, I want to say I am personally extremely embarrassed by Phil Lawrence's rant. He is speaking for himself and definitely not me or the other members of the MLMTFC as far as I know. David, I apologize and I believe Phil also owes you a huge apology.

Richard Instness
Mother Lode Model T Club

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Can you post a picture of Phil so we will be able to recognize him and give him our sentiments at the meet? ;-)

Richard Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring, 1923 runabout, 1926 coupe

Post by Richard Instness » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 pm

David, we have never met, but you probably know who I am as I have been directing buyers and sellers at the MLMTFC Swap Meet entrance for the last 30 years.
Please introduce yourself as I will have a monumental size piece of apple pie for you next to me in my cooler. Let me know if you prefer something else.
Always enjoy your posts. Keep them coming.
*contingent on the Covid-19 thing and a successful back operation for me. I normally get off the gate at 7:00 am.
Richard

Topic author
david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm

Wow, thank you all! Phil didn't bother me (much), he's probably also going stir crazy like the rest of us. Shortly after posting that a lightning storm hit and wiped out my modem! I'm downtown right now (had to go buy a new modem!) and on wifi, so finally am seeing the responses. Richard, we may have met, I took Rodger Barrett (Boy are we going to miss him) on one of the spring tours in Erik's DB a few years ago--had a great time too! I"m not a proud guy, I will gladly accept a slice of Apple Pie! And thank you for your apology from the club, not required, but most appreciated. Like I said, your club is a great bunch, wish I were closer.
5am?? Bob WHO is up at 5 am??? :)
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 pm

I read my posting to SWMBO, Linda, and she said, "5am? The ones putting up the swap meet are up at 5am!" Well, yes, she IS correct; I barely remember that from decades ago when the Redding Rambling A's put on their meets (yes folks, I'm a backslider Model A guy)--but I was MUCH younger then. . . . :D
BTW, I am back at home, and the new modem works--back to 36K dial up. New TV antenna should be in in about a week, That should get us a TV signal again; maybe I can survive that long. . . . This book reading thing is hard on the eyes. . . . ;)
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:54 pm

Get Bigger Glasses Dewey!

LOL!

Hank

Philip Lawrence
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 5591
MTFCI Number: 25062
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Philip Lawrence » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:19 pm

I would like everyone to know how sorry I am for the comments I made. To David Dewey, Richard Instness, members of the Mother Lode Model T Club, members of the Model T Ford Club of America, and anyone else I may have offended by my comments please except my sincere apology.

Philip Lawrence
Last edited by Philip Lawrence on Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

frontyboy

Post by frontyboy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:30 pm

Hey guys,

He manned up and apologized. For that he has earned a huge amount of respect in my eyes. I might also add we have all banged out an email with a bit of anger or rancor and hit the send button and then wished you could stop it. I know I have , now I write an email in irritation or anger I let it sit overnight then review it, usually I rewrite it and drop it down a tone or two.

Thnx

Phil U r the man!!!

Topic author
david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 am

I was going to just post an acceptance note, but then Phil actually called me! He spent time looking for an old HCCA roster with my name & number in it, and we had a good conversation, a great one actually, and I have purchased parts from him over the years (I am terrible with names & faces). Anyway, we swapped old car lies and, yes, it was one of those late nite quick posts that he regrets doing. So, give him a break folks (he's a model T driver, ya know he needs a brake). Phil is a good guy, no need to stock up on creme pies. . . . :D
I hope to see ya at the swap--but if not, then at another event once we are allowed to gather together.
Off we go! Forum.jpg
Off we go! Forum.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
As Jackie Gleason used to say, "Annnndddd away we gooooo!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 am

When I first met Phil Lawrence, I was working part time and going to college part time, and working on my first speedster as much as either work or school. And speaking of school, Phil was still in high school! As for being a model T person? He took his driver's license test driving HIS 1914 model T touring car! How many people can say THAT!
Since then, he has been an active member of numerous local clubs in the San Francisco Bay Area while he lived there, and now in the historic Serra foothills gold country! I have bought quite a few parts and pieces from him over the years, and sold him a few things as well. I always enjoy visiting or just talking with Phil. He is alright. (I was NOT about to chastise him for his post, I figured he must have had an "off" day.)

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Post by NorthSouth » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:09 am

-
Hey Guys,

I enjoyed reading this dynamic chain of comments and riding its theme from anger to comradery. Its ending underscores the strong foundation that ties us Model T-ers together. I really hope that the Mother Load Model T Club will throw this June gathering, pie or no pie. You are a great bunch of enthusiasts and the hobby will suffer a great loss if if this fellowship is allowed to evaporate.

Smiles

Richard Instness

Post by Richard Instness » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Phil
I appreciate your very sincere efforts to make amends, including your personal phone calls to David and myself. Thank you very much. Let’s move on.
Richard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic