Prest-O Lite tank explosion??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Prest-O Lite tank explosion??

Post by schwabd1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 pm

OK, now that I have your attention..... I need to sand blast a prest-o-lite tank. How long does it need to be "aired out" before it's OK to blast? Would their be any kind of residual deposits that could be flammable?

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Re: Prest-O Lite tank explosion??

Post by Joe Bell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:30 pm

If you are blasting the outside of it, then it is sealed when valve is closed.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:39 pm

Do you plan to refill it and actually use it? Personally, I wouldn't use a POL tank that was rough enough to require sand blasting. If the surface of the thing is that rough, or damaged in any significant way, I wouldn't want it to tempt anyone to fill it in the future. Acetylene pressures are fairly low, unlike oxygen tanks. However, acetylene gas can be very dangerous if not handled properly. A pinhole leak in a tank could create an explosive situation, and do so very quietly. Difficulty in getting them filled varies from state to state (in Califunny, it is nearly impossible unless you know someone that can and will do it on the sly). In some states, some of the old POL tanks can still be found already filled as exchange tanks! Whether they have a gauge on the bottom or not does make a difference.
Before being filled and used, they should be examined by an explosive gasses expert. Most certified experts will not touch them.

Sand blasting itself is unlikely to trigger and explosion. But it could if the tank or valve stem is compromised in some way.

Mikes 1912
First Name: Lester
Last Name: Husted
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 20

Post by Mikes 1912 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm

Just what are you trying to accomplish? Sand blasting what, inside, outside and then what are you going to do? Prest-O Lite gas is nothing more then
acetylene gas, one of the worlds most unstable gases there is, use it correctly fine, use it wrong you could be in a world of hurt.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Some years ago I got a genuine Presolite nickel plated tank (cw gauge in the bottom) recertified and filled. Actually I haven’t used it so it sits on the shelf full!!
Someday

Topic author
schwabd1

Post by schwabd1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:08 pm

This tank is for looks only.... it has the gauge on the bottom. I don't think I'd be comfortable blasting the tank with the valve closed. So, as long as I open the valve, take the gauge out of the bottom and blow lots of air through it I should be good?

Les Schubert

Post by Les Schubert » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Acetylene tanks are filled with a porous material and then have acetone put in prior to being filled with acetylene.

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 pm

That porous material In the tank is asbestos.

Les Schubert

Post by Les Schubert » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:11 pm

So you probably don’t want to risk blowing asbestos around your shop?

Topic author
schwabd1

Post by schwabd1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:25 pm

Maybe fill the tank with water to blast? How absorbant is asbestos? Would I be able to get the inside dried out? I'll have to take a look at the tanks I have, see if just sanding would do the trick.

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 am

That porous material In the tank is asbestos.
OOOH!, a good bit of information there!

I plan to cut one Prestolite about 1/3 or 1/4 from the valve end, then weld a band around it with lugs so the short end can be 'twisted' back on - presto a running board mounted tool box with a shiny gauge on the other end.

Might have to think the process through if it is asbestos though. Mask and PPE gear needed I would think.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 am

Adrian, I don't know just where NZ stands on the "asbestos issue", but I know Australia is off the wall nuts about it. As a "used to be" contractor, I have been through numerous asbestos workshops and seminars. Frankly, I think most of what we hear today is pure political maneuvering. Yes, it can be and is deadly, to a point. But it is also a natural fiber that exists all over the world, and very often is exposed in its natural state and blown in the winds almost every day!
Reasonable care should be taken with it whenever it is being worked with. Care similar to dealing with the current world health crisis (and yes, that too is real) (I think??????) :roll: .

But, as a friend, do be careful.

D Stroud
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:30 am

David S., for Pete's sake, you are WAY overthinking this. Just close the damn valve and have at it. Just stop and think, if there is that much danger of the tank exploding, why would they be used for Acetylene lights and Oxy-Acet torches, there is WAY more heat involved with them than with sandblasting. In my HMO, you would be creating WAY more problems by trying to empty the cylinder, which would be nearly impossible, besides probably ruining it for anyone else to be able to use it in the future for what it was intended for. JMHO from a 40+ year welder/fabricator. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 am

Have you attempted to take it to a gas supply company, ask them to perform a hydro pressure test? Small fee in reality and safety first.

Just Sayin'

Hank

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 am

In the railroad industry, tanks that, in the past contained flammable materials, that are being worked on such as welding, or performing work that could generate a spark, are filled with nitrogen. I never sandblast anything on my T. In some cases like on body panels or thin metal, sandblasting can distort the steel and the finish it leaves is rougher than the rust it removed. I always prefer to remove the paint with Marine grade paint remover, then remove any underlying rust with muriatic acid. It takes longer, but the results are much more desirable. Muriatic acid takes off only the rust, leaving the good steel untouched and smooth especially if the rust is only surface rust. Pitted rust tales longer, but given time, the muriatic acid will remove the rust down to the bottom of the pit, leaving surrounding undamaged surfaces untouched. Makes for a better surface requiring less work and surface preparation prior to priming and painting. Jim Patrick

modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

Post by modeltbarn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:38 am

Acetylene tank inspections are different from high pressure tank inspections, they're primarily visual and deal with cracks and corrosion.

You will ruin the tank if you put water in it, you'll never get it out.

These tanks sit in the sun all day at welding yards, full of acetylene (it is dissolved in acetone). That heat on the tanks will cause more of an increase in pressure than sand blasting..... I don't see the concern.

If you are still really concerned, and you're going to paint the tank, there are other methods of paint prep. Scrape as much heavy stuff off as possible, use one of the 'rust converter' products on the market, then prime it. If you want it smooth you can skim coat it with body filler.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:01 pm

d stroud wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:30 am
David S., for Pete's sake, you are WAY overthinking this. Just close the damn valve and have at it. Just stop and think, if there is that much danger of the tank exploding, why would they be used for Acetylene lights and Oxy-Acet torches, there is WAY more heat involved with them than with sandblasting. In my HMO, you would be creating WAY more problems by trying to empty the cylinder, which would be nearly impossible, besides probably ruining it for anyone else to be able to use it in the future for what it was intended for. JMHO from a 40+ year welder/fabricator. Dave

David is absolutely correct. You have ZERO to worry about. I would mask off the valve however to prevent messing it up by sandblasting it.

Topic author
schwabd1

Post by schwabd1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:49 pm

OK, I guess I'll blast it as is, I guess I was worried IF there was a thin spot and IF it would wear thinner when blasting and IF it would create a leak then any sparks from blasting might go BOOM. This tank is not or never will be used. My lights are going to be "electrified" and if I ever do want to go gas I'll get a small tank for under the seat.

david_dewey
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:21 pm

"A thin spot" egads man, do you know how thick those things are? now that I've said that, I don't really know myself, but at least 1/4" if not more. Yes, do mask off the valve before blasting, and if you want it to look really snazzy, polish the valve (ON THE TANK, don't try to take it off) before you blast it, and mask it off--that way you won't mess up your paint polishing the valve.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Post by Marty Bufalini » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:36 pm

I scoured local welding shops for a tank embossed with the name, had the offset valve and, did not have a gauge in the bottom.

It was painted a variety of colors. I simply stripped it with paint stripper, smoothed it out, painted it silver and, got a repro decal from Restoration Supply. It looks great and works great.

Hope that helps.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic