Looking for Help in upstate NY

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Looking for Help in upstate NY

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 pm

I am finally planning to install a top on my ‘23 runabout this summer. If possible I’d really like some help from someone who’s done this before. When I installed my seats everyone said it’s much easier the second time. An odd thing to say I think. I only have this one T and want it right the first time. Is there anyone in Western or Central New York who would be willing to spend a day or two to help me do this? I’ll pay travel and lodging.

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Re: Looking for Help in upstate NY

Post by otrcman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 pm

The lady who used to own Classitique Upholstery now travels around the country doing installations. Everything I've ever heard about her has been good. My understanding is that you contact her through the Classitique website to find out when she will be in your area.

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com

1923Touring
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Hawkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCI Number: 24919
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by 1923Touring » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:03 pm

Elizabeth with Classtique Upholstery does a fantastic job. She taught me along the way as she did the top and seats.

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 am

I’m actually looking for physical on-site help, not a phone conversation or a bad video. When I did the seats the written instructions were so cryptic that unless you had done one of these before it was impossible to do a really good job. After doing the job based on guessing what needed to be done the answers were often .. “oh, you should have done this first” or “you shouldn’t have done that.” Even the upholstery shop whee I finally took my car when the weather got too cold to manipulate the vinyl didn’t get it right.

I’ve reached out to Tim Rogers in the Adirondacks and have not been able to get in touch. He has the same car and didi the top on his a couple of years ago. If anyone knows his contact information would appreciate that.

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 am

Just sent you an email...
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 am

I agree that Elizabeth would probably be your best bet. However, I have done two tops, both roadsters, with no help. I use original, usually factory photos to guide me, along with old photographs of cars when they were still being used. I believe your car is the first year for hidem welt, at least that's what I think since I sent you that tip earlier this year. One thing some people don't know is the front part of the top where it curves around the front bow needs to have a slit cut a ways back so the excess material can be brought up and tacked under the rest of the top material. Another problem you may have is you will notice three Anzo fasteners on each side of your rear bow. As far as I know they are no longer being made but are obtainable if you are patient. That is what I did. I know you got your kit from Mike Francis, so you should be all set. One last thing, there is an Anzo fastener on each corner of the wind flap in front of your windshield. This is for the side curtains should you ever go that route. The key to success is take your time.

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:47 pm

I just want the top to have a proper fit. I’ve seen lots of seats and top kits that are ok ... and some that were not so great installed by people doing it for the first time. Not their fault. I’m a pretty good craftsman but no matter how slow you go, if you don’t know the tricks (as you pointed out) it can be a crap shoot.

John iaccino
First Name: John
Last Name: Iaccino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Roadster, Open Runnabout
MTFCA Number: 17802

Post by John iaccino » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:23 pm

Just sent you a PM

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring