KC Warford std vs KC Warford TT/ speedster?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

KC Warford std vs KC Warford TT/ speedster?

Post by Dennis Prince » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Is anyone running a KC Warford for a TT/ speedster and do you know how it compares to the standard geared KC Warford? I am looking at putting one in a 26 roadster with 4-1 gears and a Ruckstell. I have a Ruckstell in it already and I have a 26 touring with a KC Warford. I like them both but therey are both missing something for the type of driving that I do.
IMG_0045.JPG
I would appreciate any info that I can get. Thanks

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: KC Warford std vs KC Warford TT/ speedster?

Post by MWalker » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 am

Dennis -- I believe the TT-geared version is the one that KC Warfords had when they were first made. It had a lower-speed low gear, compared with a Ruckstell. After hearing many complaints from customers, Layne changed the low gear ratio to be the same as a Ruckstell, which is just right. I had one of the earlier ones in a '15 Touring and didn't like the lower gearing. I can't imagine why you'd want it in a speedster, unless you had 3:1 rear gears in it. BTW, the newer KC's (non-TT ratio) are wonderful when linked to a 4:1 rear end in a regular T. But of course you could go faster (if that's your goal) in a speedster with standard 3.64 gearing. And mated with a Ruckstell, you'd have plenty of lower gears anyway. Twelve forward gears? Do you really need that many?

Topic author
Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Mike, The TT/Speedster trans has close to the same as a Ruckstell in underdrive and the overdrive is 23% overdrive where the standard trans is 17% (if my hobo math is correct). I don't need all of the gears but this is the only way to get what I need. We do a lot of rough road creeping and my leg gets tired holding it in low.
IMG_2941.JPG
IMG_2889.JPG

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:51 pm

I have driven Ts with both original Warford and several with the KC version.
I find tHe original Warford to be very noisy, certainly would not recommend for a closed car. The gear change is very heavy and often quite difficult. The ratios were ok but that was with standard Ford gearing.
The KC version is superior in every way. It is fairly quiet, some whine is overdrive, it’s easy to use, just a touch on the clutch pedal and it’s in gear. The ratios on the Ts I have driven convince me that the KC is best used with the standard Ford axle ratio. I drove one with 3:1 and it lugged on overdrive.
I suspect that with a light car you’ll prefer the 3.63 to the 4:1 axle ratio.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:57 pm

I have driven Ts with both original Warford and several with the KC version.
I find tHe original Warford to be very noisy, certainly would not recommend for a closed car. The gear change is very heavy and often quite difficult. The ratios were ok but that was with standard Ford gearing.
The KC version is superior in every way. It is fairly quiet, some whine is overdrive, it’s easy to use, just a touch on the clutch pedal and it’s in gear. The ratios on the Ts I have driven convince me that the KC is best used with the standard Ford axle ratio. I drove one with 3:1 and it lugged on overdrive.
I suspect that with a light car you’ll prefer the 3.63 to the 4:1 axle ratio for normal road use. For the rough stuff you like, you will probably prefer the 4:1
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:38 pm

I'm running a KC Warford with a 4.1 diff. in my 27 Tudor. It is a great combo for running in the mountains of Montana and Idaho. We do a lot of logging road over the mountain type driving and the gearing is just right for both off or on highway. The KC is pretty quiet also.
Attachments
IMG_1489.JPG

Jim W
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Weir
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 TT Express Delivery

Post by Jim W » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi, I had a '24 TT with an iron Warford, I stopped driving about 3 years ago and my Son has it now. At first the Warford was extremely noisy in under. I pulled the rear end and tranny and put a used set of 5-1 gear set in the axle. I located a used Warford with a good gear set, but the bearings looked suspicious so the lady in the local bearing house found a complete set for me, one bearing at a time!!! I had worked the engine over quite a bit, 0.280 regrind, removed the magneto, put splashers on the flywheel, Kosser's E-timer, Stromberg OD1 Carb from Uncle Stan and Z Head. It would cruise at 40 MPH and one time I reached 51.7 when the governor took over:::White knuckles. I then fell in love with the KC Warford and had to have one. It peaks out about 41 or 42. But it pulls hills much better. I also am very satisfied with Jack Rabbit Clutch and wood bands!

Sincerely, Jim Weir

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic