Model T Insurance

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
schoutenbr
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Schouten
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50936
MTFCI Number: 25285
Board Member Since: 2020

Model T Insurance

Post by schoutenbr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Hello, I'm a new Model T owner and new to the MTFCA so please be understanding to what is probably an elementary question. I'm now the very proud owner of a 1926 Touring, it's not a show car but it is in decent running condition. My initial plans for it is for just driving it around my neighborhood and giving the grandkids rides in it. With this type of limited "on road" use, I'm hoping that insurance coverage for it can be found at a half way reasonable price. Are there any specialty insurance providers out there that can provide a decently priced insurance policy for my Model T given it's limited on road use, or should I just contact my regular auto insurance agent for a policy? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

jawa
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Spatto
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring, 1927 Tudor, 1913 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 29387
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Model T Insurance

Post by jawa » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 pm

Hagerty. I have all my cars through them.

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:23 pm

Here is a link to a recent discussion on this very same topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10942&p=81727#p81727
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Welcome to a fellow Michigander! Before you plunk any money down, do get a quote from your current insurance company. I'm with Auto Owners which lets me put my T into "Storage" for the winter months, saving me some cash while still protecting it from fire, theft, etc. They also offer different levels of insurance coverage so you can tailor a policy to your needs.

Don't get me wrong, company's like Hagerty are great. Just do your homework :-)
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Jim_PTC_GA
First Name: James
Last Name: Fisher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924, 1925-ish
MTFCA Number: 31822
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Jim_PTC_GA » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:56 am

I've seen this topic pop up from time to time but have never answered so I thought I would this time. I just used my regular auto insurance company. I called them explained the limited amount of driving it was going to get and sent them a photo. It wound up being a few dollars extra a month. I set it's value at around 6000. To me as a family heirloom it's worth allot more than that but if I were to go hunt one down in similar condition that's about what a replacement would cost.
Just give me time to Rust and I'll be good as new. :) Wabi-Sabi

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:41 am

I'll chime in again, as I did on the post from "Pep C Strebeck" did... just be sure whoever you choose, covers your car if you ever
"provide it" for things such as a charity event, festival event, etc. where you are providing passenger rides, be it pro-bono, or any exchange of funds transpires. Most do NOT. Forget the famous "hold harmless clause", 'cause you will still spend all your savings defending it, once a good lawyer gets ahold of the case where that person skins their knee on the running board jumping in your car. Or God forbid, you have an actual accident on the road. Just saying. Do what y'all want.

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:11 am

Man, seems like this question comes up once a week. I repeat myself - J.C. Taylor. It's not how cheap, it's how good. You won't know that until you have a claim. Look at the discussion that's already taken place on this forum (numerous times). Recommend you also look at the AACA discussion forum. Plenty of good info there as well.
Terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic