akuret guage problems

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
poorboy1921
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Burton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 21 touring

akuret guage problems

Post by poorboy1921 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Well, i can offically say "it is easy to drill a hole in the wrong place". :(
Now I am going to spend few hours trying to figure out if i should drill another 7/8 hole, and what to do with the one that is currently there.
Would any of y'all have a suggestion?
Thanks so much
Robert
This is my 1921 Model T Ford, and photos of the exciting journey and places I travel.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/poorboy1921/

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Re: akuret guage problems

Post by Raoul von S. » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:04 pm

This is for the oil dipstick, correct ?

Were it me, I would remove the splash shield and install the unit. Then, measuring off
surrounding parts, determine exactly where that hole needs to be. You can then set the
splash shield back in place, locate the hole location off the reference points, and drill the
hole where it needs to be.

As for the "wrong" hole, cut a piece of metal to fit and wire feed it in, do the body work,
and hit it with a little paint. easy-peasy, right ?
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:23 am

Robert, I feel your pain. The problem is no two brass"Acuret"elbows are the same . A little bit off in the threading of the elbow, translates into quite a bit off at the splash apron. I broke an original elbow,trying to get the pipe to line up with the hole, the position of which I mapped from a previous fitment of the tube on another car. In the end, I changed the fitting that screwed into the pan for a modern substitute. Given my time over again, I would make a new tube which would be just short of the splash panel, screw it into the "Acuret" elbow and trace the outline of the pipe against the panel. That way you only have to deal with the height of the hole in the panel, the distance fore and aft fixed by the position of the shortened tube.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:39 am

Robert, I checked the fitment on my gauge and found I used two modern fittings. They are both elbows with male threads, and female threads drilled into the side of the fitting, so there is no real bend to see. The first has the male thread screwed into the pan and the female thread on the side. This means that the female hole can be adjusted up and down. The second fitting is the same type. The male end is screwed into the female thread of the first, and the female end can the be adjusted for back and forward movement. The "acuret" fitting screws into the female thread on the second fitting. The two combined give you up and down and forward and aft adjustment. I was able to use the hole in the spalsh panel I had mapped without having to weld, fill and repaint the panel. I just have to live with the two small brass fittings at the bottom of the tube.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 am

Robert, I checked the fitment on my gauge and found I used two modern fittings. They are both elbows with male threads, and female threads drilled into the side of the fitting, so there is no real bend to see. The first has the male thread screwed into the pan and the female thread on the side. This means that the female hole can be adjusted up and down. The second fitting is the same type. The male end is screwed into the female thread of the first, and the female end can the be adjusted for back and forward movement. The "acuret" fitting screws into the female thread on the second fitting. The two combined give you up and down and forward and aft adjustment. I was able to use the hole in the spalsh panel I had mapped without having to weld, fill and repaint the panel. I just have to live with the two small brass fittings at the bottom of the tube.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic