steering gear cover and pinion size

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Galen West
First Name: Galen
Last Name: West
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 touring, 06 model N, 15 roadster, 18 centerdoor, 22 coupe, 23 chassis, 25 touring, 26 cut off, 26 coupe

steering gear cover and pinion size

Post by Galen West » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:50 am

I am working on removing some of the play in my upper steering gear. Can someone give me these measurements so I evaluate how badly worn they are. I have some spare parts but most likely they are worn as badly as the ones in my car. thanks

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: steering gear cover and pinion size

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:23 am

I replaced my pinion gear with a new one. I measured the bottom of the pinion gear, where it fits into the steering shaft. It was .434 at the worn tip and .447" next to the gear where there was little to no wear. I did not measure the upper shaft that fits into the steering gear cover. My pinion and cover were too worn to try to save them. My new pinion was oversized where it fits the cover by, I believe .015", but I don't have an actual measurement. I reamed the cover to fit the pinion.

If your cover is really worn you could install and ream a bushing. It may be less expensive to get a new pinion.

Topic author
Galen West
First Name: Galen
Last Name: West
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 touring, 06 model N, 15 roadster, 18 centerdoor, 22 coupe, 23 chassis, 25 touring, 26 cut off, 26 coupe

Re: steering gear cover and pinion size

Post by Galen West » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:43 am

Thank you Mark I assume most wear occurs in gear cover, It seems that there is a shortage of 4 to 1 oversize pinion gears with the vendors

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic