Missing Oil Pan Corner Supports

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Missing Oil Pan Corner Supports

Post by jagiven » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:25 am

Last night while looking for my oil leak(s), I noticed the Oil Pan Corner Supports where not installed by the previous owner who had the engine rebuilt.

How important are these support brackets, on a 26 engine?

Link to the oil leak page; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1078
Attachments
Oil Pan Corner Support Bracket.jpg

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Missing Oil Pan Corner Supports

Post by John kuehn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 am

The oil pan supports add strength to the later 4 dip oil pans. The earlier 3 dip pans were actually a litter stronger to prevent twisting or movement of the pan. I guess it depends on how hard or much you drive your T if you want to use them. I have taken apart 24-27 T engines that had them along with others that didn’t. Any thing to help a T couldn’t hurt and the added pan supports add to the strength of the later pans. You can add them pretty easy if you want to.
These days I would do it if it were mine.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:24 am

I happen to believe that they're pretty important. But, even if one disagrees with me, the fact is, they're not difficult at all to install. Just put them in and it's one less thing to be concerned over.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am

I would try and find some originals if you can. They have a rim around them like the oil pan and think they would be a little stronger(?) then the flat type. The 26/27 have the plus that the HH is bolted to the block to support the the back end so don't know how critical they are in today's world of paved roads. I have been installing the originals on earlier engines if I have a set handy. I would used them anyway, any thing to help.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 am

If you have the hogshead bolted to the back of the block, then the joint between the hogshead and block at the pan will be absolutely rigid. You aren’t in any great risk of any failure if you don’t have them, but if you do install them, it is easy and can only make a good thing a little better.

If your hogshead and block can not be bolted together at the top and you have a 4 dip pan, you need to get them in there as soon as you can.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 am

Henry put them on for a reason. he also bolted the hogshead to the back of the block and put support straps from the two bolts at the rear of the engine to the frame at the crankcase ears. Primary reasons were two: The four dip pan being easier to bend and the wider brake band giving stronger transmission brake which would put pressure on that point. Also if you have performance enhancing modifications to the engine, it would also apply more torque at that area.
Norm

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:46 am

I think they are somewhat important.
Indeed I have a set to put on the 1909 pan as the early pan is so flexible because it does not have the beveled edges.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Post by schwabd1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

Going the other direction, does it help any to add these to a 3 dip pan?

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:36 pm

I believe the corner brackets came out when Ford started having problems after critically weakening the pan when going to the four dipper. When that wasn't enough, the block and hogshead were modified for the bolts on top. I don't believe the brackets are necessary when you have the two upper bolts on a late engine, but we use them anyway. It can't hurt.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Like tony B above. I wish I had some of those to use under my earlier narrow-nose pan engines. For whatever that is worth. As others have said, in my opinion, they probably are not necessary for a '26/'27 with the hogshead and block bolted together, however, still a good idea there. The most important thing in this area is to make sure that everything is straight and in good alignment! The '17 through '24 three dip pans are fairly strong, and if in good alignment, should do fine so long as there are no collisions or undue stresses applied through bad roads, exceptionally hard braking, or even sagging frames. The earlier narrow-nose pans are both thinner material, and do not have the folded edge to add strength. Gotta be a little gentle with those. The four-dip pans are too narrow in the highest stress area, and therefore too weak without some extra support. The '26/'27 block and hogshead bolted together adds a lot of strength. These corner brackets add a little strength, however, where it is needed most, and do need to be used if the block and hogshead cannot be bolted together as the '26/'27s are.

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:25 pm

As a member of the two crank shaft club I have added them to the 12 T based on it can't hurt and you can buy original for 15-20 bucks a pair. Cheers Colin

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:39 am

I have them on all of my cars, three dippers too!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic