Speedster project update first start of engine. test

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Speedster project update first start of engine. test

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:04 pm

Im trying to post a video of the first engine start of the speedster project. Its a short video as I have no radiator on the car yet. After this video I even hand cranked the engine a couple times. The engine has a Rajo 4 valve setup, a Bosch front plate distributor setup, a cast iron dual exhaust feeding a Taylor "loudspeaker muffler" There is a very noticeable difference in the sound of the exhaust when open or closed. In the video the difference does not sound much different. I guess its because of the closed in shop area. The carburetor is a Stromberg OE-1 built by Stan Howe. Tomorrow Ill try and install the "dual blade" fan assembly and the radiator. Then I can let it run for a longer time and try and "fine tune" the carb. Stan does a test run before he sends them out and I did not need to do a thing to it to get the engine to start. But after it warms up, I may need to "tweek" it a little bit. Its been a 6 year long trip to this point. But if the engine is OK, all that's left is the little details.

I had to wait a short time for the video to load in my preview, as it loaded fairly slow. I also had to click the small arrow in upper right corner to get it to go full screen.

Im still learning the settings on the spark advance to make it run smooth. When I disappear behind the car Im hooking/unhooking the temporary hot wire to the battery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LoEBqogdAR8398Au7
Last edited by dobro1956 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Speedster project update first start of engine. test

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Donnie

that.
is.
cool.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:50 pm

Great car and video! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:30 pm

Super Job Donnie!

Hank

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks guys,
When I started this project, I figured it would take 3 maybe 4 years to do. This year's winter work season was year #6 . It seems to take a lot longer these days to get something done. Its heck getting old. :) :) Ill try to post another video with a short walk around, when I get the radiator on and it can run longer.

Kingsford-Smith
First Name: Howard
Last Name: Kingsford-Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50215

Post by Kingsford-Smith » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:23 am

Sounds great Donnie.
Have recently bought a 4 valve Rajo for my speedster project and am interested to know if you had any problems fitting it.We are still in lockdown and it hasn’t arrived yet.

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Post by Aussie16 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:43 am

Great to see it running. It has been fun to watch the build progress over the years and the postings. Looing forward to seeing it move. Well done.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 am

Donnie

Loved that video! The engine sounds good, and the exhaust too, once rev'd up and on the road that open pipe will sound off :)

Dogs and cats will scatter!

Your project has come a long way and watching each step is fun and the results sure looking good.

Bet ya didn't envision the results today at the time you came across just that worn ole speedster shell of a body :shock:

IMG_0906.JPG
Chickasha OK, March 19, 2014 4:06pm
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by MWalker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:43 am

Congratulations, Donnie! It has been a long time since you started this project, as you mentioned. I remember when you bought that body at Chickasha. You were so proud of it, and I wouldn't have dragged it home if it had been free. But you showed us all what a nice car it could be. Can't wait to see it on a Club tour, whenever we start having those again.

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:27 am

Its been a long trip on this one. The main thing is the build kept changing as I went along. One change led to another change. It was always two steps foward and one step back. Adding the Rajo 4 valve was an ordeal. The install of the 4 valve was fairly simple. But someone before me had changed the lifters to Y-block Ford lifters. Y-block lifters are .060 oversize. So there was no option available to match the Rajo push rods. The lifters were in perfect condition and the rest of the engine was good, so I really did not want to tear it down to sleeve the lifters bores. So I had to have custom push rods made. After months of looking, and contacting push rod makers, I finally had them made. Then the dual exhaust would not work with the Rajo intake, So I had to custom machine special spacers for the intake. But that made the carburetor and the frame want to occupy the same spot. So I had to fabricate a special S-adapter to move the carb to a better location.
Everyone who has built a speedster probably knows changing one thing , changes two more things. :) :) . But that is the challenge and fun of building a speedster. The challenges I had to deal with, and having all the tools and machine shop machines I have , makes me really appreciate what most of the average guys back in the day had to do to build their cars.
I hope in the next week or so to get it out and drive it.
Mike, we may get lucky and have a tour this fall ???. So far, one of our tours is cancelled and Petitt Jean swap meet/car show is also cancelled. This may be the year of no fun stuff to do.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:43 am

Great day in the morning, Donnie ! Congrats. I have the same upper cylinder lubricator for mine. Are you hooking it up to take care of the overhead valves, or like normal to the manifold ?

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Tim, I will hook the "Craveroiler" upper cylinder lubricator to the manifold and feed Marvel Mystery Oil to the valves thru the intake. Everyone knows Marvel Mystery Oil. should give me at least 20 more horse power, and make the engine last forever. :) :) .

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:50 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I’ll do the same, as you’re one smart fellow!
30C9490F-6B9D-4D51-A1B7-10F4A1C479FA.jpeg

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Well Donnie, this is getting exciting!! Can't wait to see it go, it has been a great project to follow. Lets see more..... Hopefully we can go on a speedster run soon. Thanks for sharing the build.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Wow!! You bought that about twenty minutes before we got to the swap meet! We talked to you and it looked like it went to a good home. It did!!

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:17 pm

Donnie, I want to congratulate you on the milestone of hearing it run....It sounds GOOD! Wow 6 years now. I can't believe it's been that long already. Finish her up and go take it for a social distancing ride. Congratulations again!

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 pm

There is a little story to go with the finding of the body at Chickasha. I had collected speedster parts for most of my Model T life.... The only item I really needed to start on the project was an original body. I did not want a repro body. It had to be an original and have patina. That year, about a month before Chickasha I started a "Chickasha Dream List" on the forum. It was started so everyone could post what they were looking for or really needed. About the only thing on my "list" was to find an original speedster body. Most of the comments went something like, "good luck with that idea" or "SURE, let us know how that works out" or other similar messages... :) So the morning of the swap meet "parking lot lineup" We were sitting in line in the road on the west side of the meet before daylight. It was very cold, foggy, the windshield and windows were fogged up. But there we sat.... About that time a pickup drove by my window. I do not know why I rolled down the window, but I did. The pickup drove by my window and stopped at the truck behind me. Where he stopped put his trailer right beside my widow. There in the dark the "only" thing I could see was the speedster body. If he had kept going or stopped sooner or later I would never had seen the body... He stopped in the only position that put the body in the light from a night light pole. So I immediately jumped out of the truck as he was driving off. He drove down the road and turned around to get in line. He was just barely out of his truck when I caught up to him. I asked him how much for the body. He gave me a price, I did not even try to haggle. As I was reaching for my billfold to pay him, Don Lang, Steve Lang and Mark Friemiller all arrived at the trailer. They asked how much was the body, just as I was paying for it. If I had been 30 seconds later, I would not have got the body. I like to think me and this body were meant to be together.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:57 am

:)
:)
:lol:
Glad you got it!
Providence? Is that the right word? From the Cambridge dictionary: "1. an influence that is not human in origin and is thought to control people's lives:"
Very Happy for you and he sounds great. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic