General advice for warmstarting by handcrank

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116
Board Member Since: 2007

General advice for warmstarting by handcrank

Post by dykker5502 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 pm

I've recently bought a 1914 Model T touring, and I have just driven it a little bit (preparing it for MOT so no licenseplates yet).
When starting it cold, I turn up the mixture 1/4 turn, pull 2 times with choke, switch on the battery, in which case it actually normally tries a free start (!), and the it starts at next pull. After a minutes drive, I adjust the needle back to its normal position 1/4 turn in.
BUT - then when the car is warm after some miles of driving, I simply do not have the right grip of getting a similar easy start! My two other T's have starters, so it may turn over 5 or 10 times before it starts - not something I have done a lot of considerations over.
With handcranking its another story. You do not want to flood it as it make take its time to get it rigt afterwards, and neither try it to lean. You want to get the mixture just right.
The carburator is not a standard NH, but an aftermarket:
20190920_154541.jpg
Not that I think it matters to the worst, it seems to perform very well when driving.
So what is the right approach?
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Re: General advice for warmstarting by handcrank

Post by HPetrino » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:51 pm

I'm not so sure there is a "right" approach. Each one seems to have it's own ideocracies, Mine (a '23 engine, non-starter, 12V system) seems to like it when I retard the spark, give it about half throttle, give it 2 revolutions with the switch off and the chock pulled, then switch on battery. A 1/4 pull usually starts it (sometimes a free start). This is cold. After it's been warmed up, just retard spark, 1/2 throttle, switch on battery and giver her a pull.

I NEVER monkey with the mixture. I tried it and it caused more problems than it cured. I set it to the "sweet" spot and that's it.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:54 pm

I forgot to actually respond to your issue. In your procedure you do not mention where you have the throttle set. I'd try different throttle settings and see if that will make warm starts easier.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:07 pm

hpetrino wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:51 pm

I NEVER monkey with the mixture. I tried it and it caused more problems than it cured. I set it to the "sweet" spot and that's it.
Same here. I was monkeying around with the mixture and all I was doing was fouling plugs.

I've found out through trial and error, where it likes the mixture and I leave it there. It runs a bit rough for about 30 seconds when it's dead cold, but after that it settles right in.
1924 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:10 pm

I find that after I have a warm engine and it has been off for just a few minutes such as when I stop to get gas, I can retard the spark and open the throttle about 1/2 inch. I turn on the ignition and if I don't get a free start, I just put in the crank and pull up once and it starts right up. Do not choke or change the fuel mixture when the engine is warm. If it doesn't start right up, try turning off the key and open the throttle all the way and rotate the crank about 2 revolutions, then move the throttle up to about 1/2 inch open and turn on the key and pull up once. It will usually start.
Norm

Topic author
dykker5502
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)

Post by dykker5502 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm

I've now driven the car for a whole season without finding the solution, and now began to sum up the experiances.....
If it was a carburator mix problem, I would expect some response from the engine in the pulls just before it starts (a cough or "puff"), but nothing. So could it be ignition?
The coils are renovated and adjusted to "Perfect" or "Good" on an ECCT. And once started it goes like a dream with absolutely no missed fires or misfires. Smooth as melted butter.
Then I came to think that maybe I should give the timer a little TLC..... In fact I had not looked into it since I got the car!
Well well well. What a mess. It was lubricated with some grease I think, and I know Royce fills his with some special grease, but this did not look right.
I cleaned up the best I could (I was at an event in southern Sweden) - assembled it all and gave it a coupole of squirts from my oilcan. It fired right up, and for the rest of the day, it started at first or second pull! Even on the ferry back to Denmark -a situation where you really do not want to experience a problematic start.
Now - I may need more observations before being conclusive, but it IS common knowledge that the timer needs regular TLC.
PS: I have also learned the hard way, that the bold holding the retainer is smaller (9/16") on my '14 than on the later engines with Generator (11/16" (16mm)).

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:12 pm

It depends on the timer. An original or original type timer requires some oil or grease and cleaning out often. The New Day very rarely needs cleaning and no lubrication. The Anderson timer needs to be cleaned from time to time, but not as often as the original type. The Anderson needs a special lubricant which the vendors sell.
Norm

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:49 pm

Purely trial & error with your carb.. My 14 requires NO richening to start. The idle & hi speed setting are perfect done with float level tuning. Never get a free start. 1/4 turn when warm/hot every time. One 1/4 choke + 1/4 on start when cold. Thats with an NH & current iron model A carb. I think both were set on the rich side. Each motor/carb seems to have its own likes. & optimal settings. It took a while to figure out & adjust.
I have found it more typical to 1/4 choke & 1/4 start when warm(before motor rebuild). Floods mine now that way & makes for more tries.

brucesp
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Spainhower
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 27977

Post by brucesp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:42 pm

Hmmm. Starts fine cold but not hot? Make sure your float valve isn't leaking. They do flood easily, and nothing makes them harder to start. My '15 starts easily cold or hot, but it took a new float valve and a bit of trial and error on the float level and needle valve setting (straight-through NH, New Day timer, and coils set on a StroboSpark). Every carb is different. For mine, stone-cold is a quarter-turn rich from the sweet spot just until it starts, then back to normal. Hot starts, no adjustment.

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:37 am

Where is your spark advance set? With timing set correctly for the timer you have, try pulling the spark down a few notches, not enough to threaten a kick-back, just enough to give it a little "go". This approach has made my '12 start first pull every time when hot.

Topic author
dykker5502

Post by dykker5502 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:23 pm

Thanks for input and comments.
It's a stock timer and I know that they need TLC.
Carburator is NOT a Holley NH or other standard but a Toquet aftermarket carburator which generally works fine. However I think it leaks a little and will take it apart and clean and check.
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic