Happy to be out and about

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Happy to be out and about

Post by Terry_007 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Had a nice few days and decided it was time to exercise all the old cars. Started with the 67 GTO. It needed gas and drew lots of attention at the local gas station. A couple of guys in a mini really enjoyed seeing it and asking questions. They wanted me to burn rubber. I did. The MGs were next out and the one that drew most attention was the 48 TC (hey, it's a "T"). Promised we'd be back post virus and give some rides to the people over at the shopping center nearby. Last one out was the 14 T. Got a free start after letting it set for 3 months. Drove it a lot - through neighborhoods, twice through the shopping center and then stopped to put a couple of gallons in the tank. There were a couple of hot rods parked at the gas station. Hoods were up and the guys were comparing engine compartments when they spotted the T coming in. We practiced required social distancing and talked cars for a good half hour. Lots of questions-where'd you find it? Where do you find parts? Where'd you get wood wheels made? etc.etc. Hardly noticed a crowd was gathering and lots of people were circling around through the gas station honking, clapping giving a thumbs up, taking pictures and videos on their cell phones and hollering questions. It was an impromptu car show. The trips through the neighborhoods were pop-up parades. People out in the yards working, kids playing, and everyone stopped what they were doing to watch the old cars go by. Didn't realize it when I took those cars out how much joy they would bring to everyone. It was a great day.

I highly recommend you create your own parade- or have your own car show, even if it's just one car.
Terry
Attachments
Two Ts.jpg
Two Ts.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Happy to be out and about

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Years ago in a near by town we would cruise town on friday and saturday nights to see and be seen. Well years ago they outlawed it and ticketed people until they stopped it completly. The last couple weekends cruising has started again. The younger guys who never got the chance are calling me wanting me to bring my "old" cars and cruise. The city is allowing it for now. I guess they figure people need to get out. Maybe next week I will have to go cruising again.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:03 pm

I like that little Blue thing? Is that a Triumph?
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Bill Crosby
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Crosby
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring, 1920 Coupe, 1926 RPU, 1927 RPU, 25 speedster project
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Bill Crosby » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:51 pm

The little Blue Car Is a MGTC my guess Is a 1949.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:35 am

Good on you Terry. I have been behind the wheel of my buckboard for the first time in 8 weeks just two days ago. It surely lifts one's spirits.
I hope you were not referring to one of those modern day BMW wannabees as a Mini. Such comments are heresy in this household.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:15 pm

The little blue car is my wife's 1948 MGTC. She lets me keep the wire wheels clean and I get to navigate for her. I have fun with the steering wheel on the "wrong side" too. Sometimes I pretend like I'm driving and suddenly fall asleep, or throw my hands up in the air in a seeming panic. Freaks people out until they realize who is really driving.
Allen-after living in Scotland for four years had having owned a Mini, yes, there is certainly a difference.
Looking forward to another neighborhood parade this weekend.
Terry

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:28 pm

With our '27 Touring and friends with their '26 Touring, we've gone cruising through several subdivisions / neighborhoods in the foothills just east of Apache Junction, AZ, where we winter. We get lots of thumbs up and waves and have never had a negative response. It's fun for both them and us.

Cheers,

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:27 pm

Makes two of us. But chilly today with a stiff NE breeze off Lake Erie, but plenty nice in the Firsor. Sure glad I bought this car!
Attachments
IMG-20200425-WA0000.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic