sediment bulb screen - what's the trick ?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Wayfarer
First Name: Cory
Last Name: Woerth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 engine on a stand, Canadian '23 center door
Board Member Since: 2020

sediment bulb screen - what's the trick ?

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:38 pm

I need advice / tips / tricks for soldering the screen on the sediment bulb outlet.

cap is bead blasted and the edge is filed clean and shiny, but I can't get the solder to flow.

what solder are you guys using ? flux ?
what heating tool are you using ?

I've sweated copper pipes before, and I can solder electrical connections and wires, I've even done a little lead body filler, but this is NOT working !

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: sediment bulb screen - what's the trick ?

Post by KWTownsend » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:48 pm

Cory-
I have heard that even with the proper flux, "new" solder is not as user friendly as old solder and may be resistant to flow on cast iron and steel.
This might be a job for JB Weld.

: ^ )

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:53 pm

I'd use something like Permatex Permashield Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Sealant. Makes it easy to replace later.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:55 pm

This is another one of those ‘how did Ford do it’. I’ve did it but it wasn’t a smooth as the original. Seems like I used solder that was used in Refrigeration work that had a good content of silver.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:04 pm

Have used my old well-worn Wren 100w soldering gun, worked ok. Solid core solder. Used paste flux on cleaned with lacquer thinner edges of the screen nut.

Then tinned the screen nut surface, while hot placed the new screen. Then applied solder to the outer surface, the pre-tinned edges allow the solder to weep good into the tiny screen opening, layer on more solder and smooth along the way with the hot gun tip. Looks messy, but is on there and sealed.

Try to keep solder off the threads of the nut, but easy to file away the excess that gets in there anyway ;)

100_9051 (800x600) (2).jpg
100_9052 (800x600).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:08 pm

When did I do that?

Topic author
Wayfarer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 engine on a stand, Canadian '23 center door

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 pm

got it !
definitely not my best work.

I ended up preheating with my butane soldering torch, then paste flux, then wide soldering tip, sort of "puttied" a solder ring on the cap.
laid screen on, then put the wide soldering tip down on top of the screen, and kind of "puttied" all the way around, only had to add a little solder in a couple spots.

should've taken a picture, I got too excited and already put it back on the sediment bulb

Mike Thomas
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Thomas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Mike Thomas » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Clean the bulb, add flux, use a torch to heat the bulb, and get the solder to stick to the flange. Get a little bead of solder stuck there. Let things cool. Lay the screen on the bulb and heat the bulb from underneath. If you get the flame/heat too close to the screen it will melt. Just heat the bulb until the screen 'falls' into the molten solder. Works every time....

richc
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Chillingworth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C-Cab TT
MTFCA Number: 30527
MTFCI Number: 23207

Post by richc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for posting their soldering advice. I learned some good ideas. It didn't do the pre-tinning, but still ended with satisfactory results. Remember when soldering, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."
Cap 2.JPG
Cap 3.jpg
Rich C.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Personally I used this paste with successful. Still working after 15 years...

Fuel tank repair.JPG
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:59 pm

This is no place for a soldering gun. You need a torch to give enough heat to heat the brass so that the solder melts when placed in contact with the brass. First rule of soldering, (well, maybe the second rule, behind cleanliness), is to apply heat to the part and not to the solder. Let the part heat the solder, otherwise you get a "cold joint", which has no strength. If you don't have an adequate torch, place the cap on a gas stove with a low heat. Heat until touching the solder to the joint results in the solder flowing.

Topic author
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm

my cap is iron, not brass

I used a propane torch at first, and then switched to my butane torch, and then to my butane torch with wide flat soldering tip. so...preheat, then preheat, then localized heat

getting the solder to melt wasn't my problem. getting it to stick was my problem. possibly a flux issue ? I tried two different fluxes, the second one worked...begrudgingly

I started with a bead blasted cap, then filed it, then sandpapered it

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:38 pm

Looks pretty good. I’m thinking that when these were put together at Ford the guys doing the soldering had a certain method and some type of jig set up to solder the screen in. However they did it they got pretty good at it. Practice makes perfect and they certainly got a lot of practice doing it in mass production!

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:11 pm

wayfarer wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm

I used a propane torch at first, and then switched to my butane torch, and then to my butane torch with wide flat soldering tip. so...preheat, then preheat, then localized heat

getting the solder to melt wasn't my problem. getting it to stick was my problem. possibly a flux issue ? I tried two different fluxes, the second one worked...begrudgingly

I missed the cast iron versus brass part. Yup, that's a bit more difficult. Even when the surface is clean cast iron can absorb "stuff" that can leech out when heated. Sounds like you've got it licked!

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:33 am

No one mentioned the type of solder they were using . Not all "solder" has the same melting point - a KESTER chart shows from 291Farenheit/144 Centigrade to 574F/301C depending on the proportion of Lead and Tin sometimes Silver or Bismuth. Besides the wire form there is also solder paste composed of flux and solder balls that is used on circuit boards and common for the melting point to be at 290F. Wondering if this thick concoction was used back then - would make the assembly much easier.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Fri May 01, 2020 2:25 pm

Jerry VanOoteghem wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:11 pm
wayfarer wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm

I missed the cast iron versus brass part. Yup, that's a bit more difficult. Even when the surface is clean cast iron can absorb "stuff" that can leech out when heated. Sounds like you've got it licked!
it's on there, and while it's not my best work, it WILL work.

TRDxB2 - this is where I'd like to get more feedback. What solder ARE people using / having success with. ? Silver solder ? 60 / 40 ? And perhaps flux brand name / type as well.

I'd sure like to have an easier time next time !

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri May 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Eutectic solder, 63/37, good flux, pre-tinned parts (thoroughly, shiny, no voids), and then sweat them together with just a dab more solder. Do not heat the solder...heat the part.

If you use an iron, use 250W and maintain a good solder bridge during tinning, and the reflow when attaching the screen. A torch can be used, but you're heating the entire part and losing control of the entire process. If you have the proper iron, you may wish to have a helper keep the body warm with the torch so as to aid the iron.

Iron: https://stellartechnical.com/products/a3158x-250w-iron

I have one of these irons and use a standard household dimmer switch and an electical outlet in a HandiBox to keep the heat at the tip at the right level based on the work load. This sort of setup is common for anyone working on starters or similar heavy copper buss soldering. You get in quick, apply the right heat to the right spot and get out before the entire assembly heats and scorches. If you do not own one, you don't know how handy it is.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Post by HornsRus » Fri May 01, 2020 5:00 pm

i learned this from an old rad man,he sandblasted everything before hand.it works well espley on cast iron.charley

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri May 01, 2020 6:30 pm

Charley

that was and is good advice. It's all about removing oxides from the surface to be soldered. Soldering should follow immediately after blasting and cleaning as oxides begin building up pretty much immediately. There is only so much that flux can do.

Good that you mentioned this.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:55 pm

After reading this discussion I thought I'd take a shot a replacing the screen in a bulb I have. As I was pulling the old screen out I was surprised to see that it was held in place by a collar of brass folded over it. Maybe after cutting the threads the left a thin collar while machining out the inner surface to it could be folded over the mash. I put a fitting on the end of the screen cover so it would sit up from the vise jaws. I pried the collar up a bit with a utility knife blade by tapping it gently all the way around. When it appeared to move no more I quit.
1 lift edge.JPG
Next wire brushed the entire surface.
2 wire brush.jpg
A touch of flux I had laying around from the 1980's. Heated the cover from the bottom (Jerry's stove idea) with a propane source and when hot melted a bead of 50/50 solder around the edge.
3 solder.jpg
3 solder.jpg (89.97 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
The mesh was slightly waffled like a spring washer (hindsight says I should have domed it). Rolled the edge of the mesh through a bit of flux and placed on top of the solder
4 lay  up.jpg
4 lay up.jpg (97.86 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
To keep the mesh in place and to prevent it from melting I put a bolt on top of it. Re-flowed and let the mesh settle into the solder
5  flow.jpg
Mick Jagger

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:57 pm

Done - still learning
Attachments
6 done.jpg
6 done.jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic