Measuring tools back in the day

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Measuring tools back in the day

Post by dmdeaton » Sat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm

While working on my first T engine and reading and asking all my dumb questions on here I got to thinking. I haven’t ran across any information on what measuring devices they used back in the day. I have a few old micrometers, I guess they must have had them. What about dial indicators? Did they use a lot of gauges they made up? We strive to get this stuff as straight and tight as we can. Are the tolerances documented? Again just thinking and wondering

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Measuring tools back in the day

Post by DanTreace » Sat May 02, 2020 9:42 pm

Quick answer, yes, all the mechanical measuring tools today were used by auto mechanics then.

Book from 1924, showing all the measuring tools as used today.

IMG_2005 2.jpg
IMG_2004 2.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Sat May 02, 2020 10:38 pm

When you consider how far back clocks go, the know how for tooling doe's too. verniors and micrometers in the 17th century but the micrometer as we know it today was patent in 1899.

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Sun May 03, 2020 12:01 am

I HAD A TOOL YEARS AGO, IT WAS MADE BY THE LOCAL BLACK SMITH FOR ME, I USED TO HANG OUT AT HIS SHOP, AND LEARNED SO MUCH WATCHING HIM WORK, IT WAS USED TO SET VALVE TIMING ON THE MODEL T ENGINE, IT WAS STAMPED-- EX--IN--- A TWO PIECE TOOL, WISH I STILL HAD IT, GOT MISPLACED OVER THE YEARS , MADE FROM THIN STEEL ABOUT 3/32 THICK X 3/4 WIDE BY 5 INCH LONG, IT HAD A MOVEABLE BAR 3/32 THICK X 3/4 INCH WIDE BY [JUST GUESSING HERE,] 3 INCH LONG, AND THIS PART WAS OFFSET WITH A PIN HOLDING IT IN PLACE, THE LONG PART WOULD LAY ACROSS THE CYLINDER , THE SHORT PART WOULD DROP TO TOUCH THE PISTON, WHEN IT WAS IN THE RIGHT LOCATION, THE INTAKE VALVE IN THAT CYLINDER WOULD BE JUST CLOSING,[OR OPENING] DON'T REMEMBER , WHEN THE CRANK SHAFT WAS ROTATED AND THE LONG BAR IN PLACE AND TOUCHING THE PISTON IT WAS THE EXHAUST VALVE IT WAS TIMEING. IN THAT CYLINDER. JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT'S BUGGED ME AS TO WHERE ITS HIDEING. I DID USE IT AND IT WORKED VERY WELL. . I STILL HAVE THE TOOL HE MADE TO LAP THE VALVES,

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Tue May 05, 2020 8:41 am

“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue May 05, 2020 10:34 am

Danny

how far back, and who's day do you want?

how about mechanics from around 1770-1790?

this dial gauge measures to 1/100 of a mm (0.000393 inches per division, or 393 millionths of an inch per division, which is pretty remarkable)

the jaws at the top (toward the right, in the photo) open a total of 1mm, while the dial is divided into 100 segments. The whole thing is compounded on the back and the needle is driven by a minute chain that unwraps from it and turns it.

there is very little new under the sun
antique dial gauge1a.gif
antique dial gauge2.gif
antique dial gauge3.gif
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Tue May 05, 2020 11:19 am

This old indicator is pretty cool. You can read it from any angle. I've used it on my T several times. I've checked it against my modern indicators and it's very accurate.
100_7501.JPG

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue May 05, 2020 1:33 pm

This 100+ year old gal and my grandfathers 80 year old micrometer got me within half a thou on a boring job last night. Daddy always said, “take care of your tools and they will take care you”............or was it Ben Franklin?
8440A2BD-8FEA-4DB0-9DE6-00442EBEDF1C.jpeg

Topic author
dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 pm

Cool stuff guys
I have a couple old micrometers but have never seen any dial indicators like those. Very cool

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic