Tooth off low gear in Trans

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Graybeard77
First Name: Clyde
Last Name: Gibson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor Sedan, 1926 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 32266

Tooth off low gear in Trans

Post by Graybeard77 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Took our T on a 130 mile tour to see if I needed to make any repairs before Florida. Everything seemed fine. After reading about Hanks problem with the magnet in his trans I decided to look in mine. My magnet was ready to fall in. I found a piece of gear tooth on it. After looking at the triple gears I found 1 tooth half gone. I don't have time to repair it before Florida tour. It is on the low speed gear. Do you think if I don't push it to hard I could make it?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Tooth off low gear in Trans

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 pm

I does need to be addressed. However, a half of one tooth, on one of the triple gears? The load on straight cut gears spreads between one tooth under full load and two teeth splitting and transferring the load to or from an adjacent tooth. In addition to that, the three triple gears divide the full load between them. IF (my favorite big IF again) there isn't any fracturing of the surrounding area, in theory, you should be able to go many easy miles that way. There are several risks. The unknown, what caused the break? Is it likely there is something still floating around to break another gear, or worse, wedge into the magneto and result in what Tony B is getting ready to fix?

I would be a lot more concerned about the potential of something still hiding inside waiting to do major damage than whether the gear could take to load. But the odds are somewhat on your side. Like I said in Tony B's thread, "do you feel lucky?"

One other consideration. Does your engine have a magneto (no magnets and/or no field coil)? If no magneto, there is a much less chance for a catastrophic or explosive event.

Topic author
Graybeard77

Post by Graybeard77 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:55 pm

I have a distrubor so no magnets. Thanks for the insight.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:09 pm

Guess that rectangular magnet in the oil screen slid up the ramp of the oil screen and wedged, but exposed enough to get hit by that triple gear.

Amazing the magnet didn't get a chunk taken out, but took a chunk of gear tooth. Rather odd, but stuff happens :o

Don't know if you removed the hogshead cover, or just inspected carefully all the gear teeth of every triple gear by peering with just the cover plate off. But if you are satisfied only one individual gear tooth is partially gone, and that oil screen magnet is most all intact, then chances are good no problems in touring.

IMO, would drain the oil and flush with a couple of more quarts, cranking over with starter but not running to splash around, drain and then replenish. And replace the oil screen... W/O that magnet... as the screen will collect any wayward pieces.
For good measure you could add the avail drain plug that has a magnet, would collect anything that dives deep into the sump, although the oil screen is a really good catcher of stuff. ;)

p.s. would love to see a photo of that screen magnet with the tooth imbedded!
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:00 am

I don't think for a second that the magnet survived such a crash with no damage and the gear did not. Something caused the tooth to fail and the magnet ended up with it as intended.

It will be a mighty big challenge to pull and repair and still make the Winter Tour. I'd be inclined to pull the Hog's head, inspect things carefully and if things look in order (and other than the gear, I believe they will) drive the tour with the knowledge that there is a small possibility it will fail. Then rebuild it when you get home. I doubt the tour will be challenging on low and if you consult with the tour director and explain your issue, they can warn you against any particular day that will have steep hills. St. Augustine area is not known for many 9 gallon hills, though. Have fun and try not to stress.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:01 am

I forgot to add to flush, flush, flush the transmission area and do an oil change.
Scott Conger

Topic author
Graybeard77

Post by Graybeard77 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:01 am

Thanks to all for the Imput on my trans. I flush the trans and found nothing in it. So going to Florida with it. When we get back to Springfield I will fix it. I don't have a shop to work in or I would have torn it down now. The magnet showed no damage. At least it should be warmer in Florida the here in Missouri. Thanks again and you all have a good day. Clyde

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 am

Scott

On reflection your analysis is correct. Was still thinking of the magnet that did crumble in the trans with the earlier post and just jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

Clyde

Look forward to seeing in on the Winter Tour!
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:25 am

Dan

that's kind of what I figured and I didn't want Clyde to be in a state of panic expecting lots of magnetic debris doing constant damage. I hope you all have a great Winter Tour and think of me fiddling away in the shop at -5. :o
Scott Conger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic