Copper Head Gasket Re-Use??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
vanco
First Name: John
Last Name: Van Cott

Copper Head Gasket Re-Use??

Post by vanco » Wed May 06, 2020 10:03 pm

I have three copper head gaskets that were used once on an engine that was never started and they were removed. They are all in excellent condition, never blown out, etc. Can or should they be reused?? I don't need any problems with my re-build. Thanks, John

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Re: Copper Head Gasket Re-Use??

Post by Joe Bell » Wed May 06, 2020 10:06 pm

All the vendors are out of copper head gaskets so you do not really have a choice right now.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 06, 2020 10:38 pm

I bet with plenty of copper coat it will be OK.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

JEC
First Name: John
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Wed May 06, 2020 10:58 pm

Solid copper?
You might want to anneal them.
Coat with soot using your oxy/acetylene torch with the torch adjusted acetylene rich.
Readjust the torch and burn the soot off.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed May 06, 2020 11:05 pm

These gaskets seal by crushing, so the used gaskets have lost their "oomph" to another engine, and been imprinted with whatever tiny asperities that engine had, to boot. As Joe said, you may have no choice but to use it...I say you have a choice to wait...which is what I'd do after finding out what the expected stock date is of this part. Or ask another member to sell you their new spare which I think is yet even a better choice.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu May 07, 2020 12:31 am

I have done it many time with head gaskets that were not all buggered up, sometimes the gasket was not even off my engine. Knock on wood! ;)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Thu May 07, 2020 1:17 am

I'm in the anneal and use them group... as long as they weren't so oversqueeze that they're unable to re-deform to match your block and head...

Get them hot and squelch them in cold water... unlike steel, this re-softens and anneals copper... so as long as your gaskets have some give left, they're good to go for another 100K miles! :mrgreen:

And if you don't want them, send them my way! ;-)

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Thu May 07, 2020 7:12 am

I would use them.
When I install a head, I torque the head bolts once, and then retorque after it has run, so to me, they have not had their final torque applied, and are reusable. If in doubt, a light sandblast dusting to roughen up the surface, and a coating of copper gasket spray should do the trick.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 am

I'm in the "wait for restock" or "place a wanted ad for a new one" camp.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 am

Once you use any type of spray, especially the copper spray, the head gasket is done for and should be scrapped. If the gasket was originally put on dry, or with a thin film of grease, then it might be re-usable.

Ford actually issued a service bulletin to the effect that head gaskets should not be needlessly replaced when they are still servicable.

Ford also issued a service bulletin saying head gaskets shouldn’t be coated with anything.

I, personally, would not re-use a head gasket on somebody else’s car that I was working on professionally, but I would re-use a decent copper gasket on one of my own cars if there was no new one conveniently available, but I would obtain a new one asap and at the very least, carry it in the car with me “just in case”.

There are graphite head gaskets available. I have one of the prototypes on my touring with a Waukesha head and it has well over 30,000 miles and 15 years on it with no issues. The graphite gaskets are not re-usable.

Scott Kramer
Last Name: Kramer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring,1913 touring,1921 Coupe,1923 lawnroller
MTFCI Number: 13756

Post by Scott Kramer » Thu May 07, 2020 1:34 pm

An old car friend, now long gone, grew up in an era when money was really scarce. He once told me if you wanted to re use a copper head gasket, you should soak it in some water & then put it in the freezer over night. The following morning take it out of the freezer & let it dry. Then put a light coating of gasket goo, as he called it, on both surfaces of the gasket & install. I had seen him do this many times & he had great success with this method.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:12 pm

Scott Kramer wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:34 pm
... when money was really scarce....
I agree with if money is tight or the part is not immediately available but help me understand - why would someone risk engine damage from a questionable head gasket when a new copper gasket costs $28.95 + shipping. I can see reusing one giving its condition but if there are questions about or the even spending time to resurrect it then - why? There may be some claims/facts that the new ones aren't as good as the old ones were when they were new but that is not the issue here.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu May 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Would it be possible to soak them in hot water for several days to re-expand them for re-use? If the flattened asbestos interior of the gasket can absorb enough water to expand it, somewhat, then allow it to thoroughly dry, it will have enough renewed thickness to conform to the head and motor block surfaces. Worth a try. Good luck. Jim Patrick,

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Thu May 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Not trying to be "wise guy" or anything here, but just trying to help a bit. In re-reading this thread, it seems to me that there's some confusion here as some folks are talking about copper gaskets that are of the "sandwich" construction copper gasket with asbestos (or whatever is used nowadays), while the original topic of this thread concerns just the single layer, solid copper type gaskets,.....for what it's worth,....harold

Scott_Conger
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu May 07, 2020 4:09 pm

Harold

nowhere does the OP mention SOLID. He DID mention "3"

you can buy copper, steel, silicone, etc., headgaskets. Other than special order, I am not aware of the existence of solid copper headgaskets for a standard head, and where they are used in speed equipment, they certainly are not routinely used in the hobby.

If this post is about solid copper headgaskets, that fact surely should be spelled out.

John

on the assumption that you are using typical clad gaskets, take a look at this thread and for the sake of putting some life back into the thing, consider what Kep (and others) have done to salvage a gasket, and ask yourself why they would go to the effort of the process called out. It is worthy of consideration if you are intent on reusing one...http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/17 ... 1317164407
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu May 07, 2020 4:21 pm

I would add some thoughts. You might get by using the same gasket on the same engine with the same head which has not been reground since this gasket was used. Anything which changes, would make it less likely the gasket would hold. It can be sealed around the water passages with a spray or VERY light coat of gasket sealer (not silicone seal). The area surrounding each cylinder is compressed by the torque of the head. and once it is compressed it will keep that shape.
I would also order another gasket as soon as possible just in case the used gasket doesn't work you can replace it with a new one. Order any kind which is available. I personally like the copper asbestos type best.
Norm

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Thu May 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Thanks Scott,....I guess I read something into this that really wasn't really there! Maybe I got that from stuff I've read lately about the Rajos or Frontys and such where they (as you said) where they do use solid copper gaskets. I did learn something however, thanks to you, and that is that I guess the proper designation for the conventional type of copper head gaskets that we usually use is "copper clad". Thanks again,.....harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic