27 steering column question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bnchief
First Name: Steven
Last Name: White
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 73
MTFCA Life Member: YES

27 steering column question

Post by bnchief » Thu May 07, 2020 9:01 am

Since I have a 27 fordor and they can be a little tight i know a guy could use a fat man steering wheel(i do not want one) i was wondering about shortening the steering column up say couple of inches knowing i would have probably have to machine the steering arm end of the shaft some fore the bushing. That said i was also thinking about using one of the brass steering quadrants from the earlier T just to get a more positive engagement on the spark and throttle levers. I have not drug parts out or taken measurements just a thought I had.

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Re: 27 steering column question

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Thu May 07, 2020 9:12 am

If you shorten the steering shaft you will have to have a new taper, key way, and threads cut on the end of the shortened shaft being careful that the key way is cut 180deg from the steering stop pin on the other end of the shaft. I personally would look for a tilt wheel instead.

Stephen

Topic author
bnchief

Post by bnchief » Thu May 07, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks I was thinking you would have to machine more steering bracket bushing surface.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu May 07, 2020 10:35 am

Is there any room to move the seat back a few inches?
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu May 07, 2020 10:56 am

If I were in your situation, I would look for a way to move the seat back. Also, you might remove some padding from the seat to give you about an inch or so. One problem with shortening the steering column, is that it would lower the wheel and possibly cause interference with your legs and shifting gears. You would also have to shorten the spark and gas rods. I think the 27 fordor has the tank under the seat, so you could only get a very small rearward movement without interfering with the gas tank.
Norm

Topic author
bnchief

Post by bnchief » Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 pm

It is not possible to move the seat at all, i also understand this would lower the steering wheel I am not large so that is not a problem I just thought a little more room might be nice to have.

Lawrence
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor sedan,1927 fordor sedan. 1922 tourer, 1913 torpedo roadster pickup
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Lawrence » Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi, i have a 26 and 27 fordor, and i replaced the steering wheels with smaller diameter ones, with no difficulties with driving, and I'm not a big guy. Gave me more room. Steering size from a 20-23 T.
Chris

Topic author
bnchief

Post by bnchief » Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am

Lawrence that is a great idea folks do not seem to understand in a fordor there is no moving the seat, I have driven a tudor and the seat does set farther back.

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Tue May 12, 2020 1:12 pm

It wouldn't be that difficult to shorten the shaft, don't mess with the ends just cut it in the middle remove the section, taper it well and reweld it back together. This would have to be done in a jig to keep it straight then put in a lathe turned down and polished and you wouldn't see it. My steering shaft had .050 wear at the bushing and I had it spray welded and when finished you couldn't tell it from new.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic