Model T Adjusting Radius Rods

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jasper13
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Simpson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 MODEL T ROADSTER

Model T Adjusting Radius Rods

Post by Jasper13 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:10 am

Model T Adjusting Radius Rods under the car . Did not measure or adjust before installing my new rebuilt rearend , driveshift and radius rods so now can I do my adjusting now under the car.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Model T Adjusting Radius Rods

Post by George House » Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 am

Sure you can ! Measure center/center of hubcaps on one side, then the other. That should tell you which radius rod nut to adjust. It might
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 pm

You want both radius rods adjusted to the same length, but you also want to make sure that you don't pull the axle tubes too far forward. The axle tubes should both end up at right angles to the driveshaft.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1358116875
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat May 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Ken Kopsky, haven't seen that name in a long time.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat May 16, 2020 8:54 pm

I've got to admit, I've never "adjusted" my radius rods. What are you trying to accomplish? First, the 26/27 style can't be adjusted, which tells me Ford decided they don't need to be. For the pre-26 style, I bring the rear nuts within maybe a one turn of touching the torque tube flange, then tighten the front facing nuts. This puts a small pre-load on the rods, which I believe is all you need. Consider also, if you're trying to really move anything, (for some reason), you're most likely going to flex the torque tube which might just cause a bind in the front bushing or pinion bearing.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat May 16, 2020 8:57 pm

CudaMan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 pm

The axle tubes should both end up at right angles to the driveshaft.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1358116875
If they are tending to be so far off as to be a problem, then there's other things that need to be addressed, like maybe a bent torque tube or axle tube. Being off just a bit hurts what exactly?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat May 16, 2020 9:51 pm

I follow Jerry's thoughts. If the axles are central in the housings, there's no bend there. I just tighten down the torque tube, run the back nuts up until the spring washer is almost flat, and then tighten the castle nut.

Allan from down under.

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Sun May 17, 2020 4:35 am

I also do the same as Jerry and Allan. When repairing a Differential I have made a tool to check that
the Axle Tubes are straight. With the Hyatt Bearing Sleeves removed I install 4 steel plugs that are bored to 2”
After bolting the two housings together a long bar is inserted in one end and pushed through and (hopefully) exits
the other side. I’m even happier if this can be done with the palm of my hand and able to rotate the bar also by hand.
Obviously, no point in doing this unless the Axles are central in the Tube in the first place. The Radius Rods are then
tightened to maintain that position. Alan

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:41 am

View this video and apply to your situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

les_vonnordheim
First Name: les
Last Name: von nordheim
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 touring

Post by les_vonnordheim » Sun May 17, 2020 7:08 pm

I use construction nylon string pulled tight along one side of the car at a time, touching both sides surfaces of each front/back tire/wheel to make sure each axel is tracking. Adjust front steering doing each side at a time so nylon string touches outside faces of each tire/wheel close to center of axels as possible. String must touch 4 places total....forward and back outer surface of each front and back tire per side at the same time. Very simple method and takes little time to check rear end to front axel tracking alignment. Rear axel can then be adjusted in the car to bring axels in alignment. You don't even need a measuring tape....the string will not Lie! This will also tell you if the frame is "Dog Legged". Also, wheels need to run true for accuracy.

Les Von Nordheim

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun May 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Good video of Steve sealing those axles shut. We need a good explanation like that of how to get those caps off. Not as easy as putting them on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic