Two simple, dumb questions about the hogshead

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Two simple, dumb questions about the hogshead

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun May 10, 2020 10:52 am

Q #1: I have seen the bolt holding the low pedal's support facing both directions on various hogsheads: bolt head inside, bolt head outside. I can't really see from photos or manuals which way the bolt is SUPPOSED to face, as the castle nut or bolt head are buried deep beneath the clutch pedal is photos. My gut feel for all things Ford is that the three pedal support bolt castle nuts are all on the outside of the hogshead. I can't see that it really matters one way or another with the low pedal bolt, as the bolt head and its castle nut don't interfere with anything. The bolt could go either way. As long as I am this far into the hogshead restoration with O-ring sealing modifications, which way SHOULD the bolt face? I can't trust ANYTHING that was done on my friend's car and my other resident hogshead has been apart for 10 years. 'Gotta get back on that one someday...
Q #2: I will be saturating the hogshead felt seal strip with varnish to keep it from wicking and dripping oil. I read about this years ago and it seems like a good idea. I tried it once many years ago and as I recall, it worked. I have forgotten, however, with the felt strip saturated this way, do the over-long ends get folded double back upon themselves where the hogshead meets the oil pan in the corner? Or should the felt strip simply be trimmed? It's too much of a hassle and mess to do this more than one time, so I want to do it right the first time. My aching back demands it! We're talking about a cast hogshead here, not the more fragile aluminum one. So I should think it could take the doubled over end better than an aluminum hogshead, which tends to break if the felt is too thick.
No more dumb questions until tomorrow. :)
Marshall

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Two simple, dumb questions about the hogshead

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun May 10, 2020 11:01 am

Why not use Ultra Black on the felt strip? It works.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun May 10, 2020 11:20 am

It's very easy to break off the hole in the hogs head right at the end where it meets the felt, so I for one always trim off the end of the felt. I also use a lot of Ultra Black right at that joint because you have the block, the crankcase and the hogs head come together as well as the oil thrown up by the flywheel. I don't soak it in anything except to smear some ultra black on both sides. You don't want too much ultra black because it can seep into the crankcase and get thrown up by the flywheel and possibly clog the oil line. Use just enough to seal it. after you get things together and running, check for oil leaks and if it leaks, wipe clean the outside around that 3 way joint and use some lacquer thinner or acetone to get it real clean and then smear some ultra black around the joint. This will usually stop all leaks at that area.
Norm

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun May 10, 2020 11:32 am

Bolt heads to inside. I have done the felt both ways for sealing re sealer used (Steve's suggestion) or have used Permetex No 2. I leave the ends long and folded to inside. The Ford Service shows to place a piece of candle wicking in the corners, does not say anything on trimming the felt. The extra get crushed in the corner and take the place of candle wicking maybe, which is something I don't keep on the shelf anyway. ;)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun May 10, 2020 11:37 am

I seem to recall years ago people complaining that the felt strip that was available through vendors is too thick and that causes broken transmission covers when doubled over at the ends. Has that situation changed? It looks the same to me. Are they now the correct thickness that will allow doubling over?
Marshall

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Sun May 10, 2020 11:53 am

From what I have read the bolts are inserted from inside the hogshead with the nuts and split pins on the outside.
Do not cut the felt. Adjust it so both ends are at the bottom and hold the rest in place with your favorite gasket maker. I use silicon ultra black but I’m sure others are equally effective.
Do not cut the felt or transmission bands. Use all the material available. JMHO
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun May 10, 2020 11:54 am

In my case I don't double over, just fold out of the way, to the inside. In the past I think the statement is true (being too thick), but I have not really run into an issue with the ones I have gotten of late.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sun May 10, 2020 2:39 pm

While I can see the rationale for soaking the felt with varnish it sounds like it would be messy and problematic if one ends by doing such a good job of sealing up the trans cover that it’s permanently glued in place. I’ve never accomplished a “perfect seal” on any of my Ts, so I can’t say if oil wicking through the felt is a big deal. Last I had the cover off, about three years ago, the felt strip was too thick by half again. I split it in half before the cover would settle without binding. I trimmed it flush with the cover and put . . . candle wicking . . . in the corners. (!) This is old news, I’ve no idea if the felt you get now is that thick. Gasket sets used to provide a 1/16” strip of cork gasketing for the purpose. That leaked just fine too ! :lol:

I would counsel against using any sealants on both sides of the trans cover gaskets. That can make removing the cover very difficult next time you need inside !
"Get a horse !"

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870

Post by jsaylor » Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm

I have used the varnish seal with good luck many years before Good RTV was available. I trim the felt to fit then dip it into a can of varnish. Then using a clip I hang it up to dry over night. This forms a dry crust on the outside of felt but the inside is still not dry. Form it over the back of the block, put a few dabs of RTV ( used to use permatex before RTV) at the corners. When you bolt the hogs head down, crushing the felt the varnish oozes out making a good seal.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun May 10, 2020 3:56 pm

John

Same here, have used varnish soaked felt over the hogshead block curvature for decades. You won't want to place Model T felts anywhere on the T without grease or sealant packed into the felt fibers, a dry felt isn't desired. It can't compress and do the job of a felt seal.

Here is hogshead prepped for placement, the soaked and partial dry felt is lying over the block curvature, placed there earlier.

Note the Pematex 2 on metal surfaces, and a bead of it over the hogshead curve.
Permatex 2 on all surface and over felt circle.jpg

Now the gaskets are trimmed at the corner junction to fit flush, take care there.
trim gaslek at corner.jpg
Then the crankcase is fitted with gasket, with Permatex on the metal, so the gasket is sealed to it. And the pre-soaked felt lying in wait. The only place I use RTV is in the corner, that modern stuff replaces the "candlestick wax" piece of Ford instruction. That corner is the place where a leak can happen, the intersection of 3 metal surfaces.

soaked felt and permatex.jpg

As for removal later, there isn't a reason to not coat both mating metal parts with Permatex. That way the gasket is covered both sides, for resistance to leaks. Have removed many times this same way, with varnish soaked felt and Permatex on all surfaces. A quick lift with a tool and the hogshead separates fine.

Lifting sealed hogshead  .jpg
Lifting sealed hogshead .jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun May 10, 2020 10:45 pm

I lay the felt on some plastic and work black RTV into the felt, covering the whole surface. Then I turn it over and do the same on the other side. In effect, I have a silicone gasket held together with felt. That uncut length of gasket material is laid over the back of the block with just 1/4" left at the bottom on each side to provide extra material at the corners. The rest of the gasket is worked down against the block until it ALL sits in place. The same process works on alloy covers.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:55 am

while on the subject of hogshead... There were some recommendations about the seals in the pedal cams but when I pulled the low speed pedal out it to replace the low speed notch and cam I noticed that it had a healthy coating of anti-size coating on it (same with the other pedals) . Is this something to do too? Are the other methods to use? One point was that some external leakage wasn't so bad has it would lubricate the cams of the other pedals etc since that is often over looked.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 am

What type of varnish are u guys referring to? Gasket varnish with the Indian chief ?

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:25 pm

dmdeaton wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 am
What type of varnish are u guys referring to? Gasket varnish with the Indian chief ?
If you still hav e the can save it! Its worth a few bucks. $39.99 for an empty can :o
Attachments
varnish.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Mon May 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Spar varnish
It hardens somewhat like hard plastic. I use it on wooden boats all the time. I’m not sure if I like this application for it but I don’t know much anyway

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:00 pm

Question: Have been wondering why the felt strip hasn't been replaced with something like a neoprene strip. With all the doctoring methods descibed to the felt it would seem like some new material would be a better choice.
Mick Jagger

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon May 11, 2020 2:06 pm

R.V. Anderson used to or still sells a neoprene replacement for the felt.

fbergski
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Berg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1916 Coupelet

Post by fbergski » Mon May 11, 2020 2:57 pm

I tried the Permatex soaked felt on my 16 a few years ago and failed miserably. Then I followed Royce Peterson's advice and put a 1/4" bead of black Permatex on the block where it meets the hogshead instead of using the felt, worked perfect.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic