Leaking Radiator Inlet - can I do this?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Leaking Radiator Inlet - can I do this?

Post by Susanne » Tue May 12, 2020 12:38 am

I found my radiator is leaking from the upper inlet where it's attached to the top tank... it's a brass radiator, I think I can see where the leak is... I read the (1925) instructions on how to repair this (on a later radiator)... is there anything I need to be caredul of when dealing with a brass radiator? Can I somewhat follow the service instructions and resolder this, or are there issues I need to take into account.

There's no way I can swing a new radiator (not with other parts commitments I have), plus it feels like I'm selling the T short if I can't fix it, but I don't want to get in over my head so far I ruin the radiator I have...

So... Advice? Clues? Info? Cautions?

Thanks!

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Re: Leaking Radiator Inlet - can I do this?

Post by SurfCityGene » Tue May 12, 2020 1:51 am

A couple of years ago now, I had a leak in that area and patched it with Ultra Black just like I had repaired a freeze crack on the side of the block. still holding leak free.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue May 12, 2020 4:47 am

Is the neck cast brass? Or cast iron? Or formed steel (not likely on a brass radiator)?
Cast brass is fairly easy to solder. Cast iron is not. Especially with the "eco-friendly" solders available these days. Even if cast iron was soldered before, it is not uncommon for the cast iron and old solder to separate, and getting the old now contaminated cast iron to "tin" can be really tricky.
I have been soldering for about sixty years now, although I do not anymore do a lot of it, I still have issues with soldering things like cast iron.

Many here will disagree with me on this. But on some things, modern chemistry can be a good fix. I have repaired several radiators over the years using epoxy (or J B Weld), and had very good results with those repairs. One nice thing about epoxy, is that an oxy/acetylene torch (even a good propane torch) can burn away the epoxy almost anytime you want in the future to do a "proper" solder repair. No harm, no foul (except for the smell of the burning epoxy, sit upwind!

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 am

I'm not sure on the USA built radiators but Canadian had top and bottom spouts made from cast iron, that you will not solder with an iron, needs to be a naked flame. To do it right, the spout would need to be removed, cleaned, prep with the right acids and tinned correctly in order to get a sealing bond to brass.
Really a job for a radiator service and an old boy who remembers the art of soldering cast iron :D
As others have stated, a bonding sealer will be best to get you out of trouble, as the T cooling system has no pressure just need one that can handle temp.

Jim_PTC_GA
First Name: James
Last Name: Fisher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924, 1925-ish
MTFCA Number: 31822
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Jim_PTC_GA » Tue May 12, 2020 6:29 am

I have a steel radiator that had similar problem. The neck on my 24 separated on one side of my radiator. It's a well used radiator so as an experiment I used JB weld to re attach it. I cleaned the area with a rotary wire brush, some fine sand paper, and acetone. I also pre heated the metal a bit with a heat gun and used the heat gun to smooth the JB weld. It moves like peanut butter when warm. So far this has lasted with no problems. Probably would work with a brass radiator but not a show piece. I painted the radiator black after patching this and numerous other leaks.
Attachments
Rad8.jpg
Rad8.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
Rad9.jpg
Rad9.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
Just give me time to Rust and I'll be good as new. :) Wabi-Sabi

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 12, 2020 9:16 am

JB weld does really work in most cases. Will work fine for a radiator repair. Make sure you clean the area well and let it set up a couple of days. It will be fine.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 am

The instructions for radiators are in two places. The Ford Radiator Book, and the Ford Service book. The lower radiator outlet was always cast iron, and the late ones were tin plated. The late inlets were formed brass.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 12, 2020 10:50 am

If possible it would be good to have the area to repaired to be as flat or level as possible. That means removing the radiator and laying it in such a way where the area is easy to get to and repair.
It may be possible to repair it in an upright position depending on where the leak is but it’s not as easy to be sure. Something to consider.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981

Post by Quickm007 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:18 am

I repaired mine 5 years ago with this and no leaks as well... I also did my fuel Tank. It is arround $9. Just clean well the area with a brass brush as well and in 1 hour is fixed. But I recommend waiting 24h00. When I did my Gaz tank, I do not removed the gas and I put the paste directly on the leak and waiting 5 minutes with my hand with a little pression and it was fixed. Look like unreal but it is working.
Fuel tank repair.JPG
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue May 12, 2020 11:25 am

Is it truly the water inlet that's leaking, or is it where the overflow pipe comes out of the upper tank? They're in close proximity to one another and it's sometimes hard to tell. From my observation, the overflow tube is more likely to spring a leak than the water inlet, (which has a very robust connection with the upper tank, versus the overflow tube which can vibrate a bit and break the solder joint).

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Don’t think I’ve seen that Permatex product before at the auto parts places. Good to know they make it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic