Paint for hood.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
classicnvintage1
First Name: len
Last Name: doyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 tourer 1925 roadster

Paint for hood.

Post by classicnvintage1 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:07 am

Advice would be appreciated please. I have a 1922 Tourer, which isn't currently roadworthy. To save time while I play with it, I took the hood to a paint shop to be stripped and painted. The guy duly shot-peened the metal and then realised he didn't have a colour match. I took a headlight roundel down to him, but nowadays they use a scanner and the roundel isn't big enough. So, I am now looking at cards to try and get a match. The worrying thing is how glass-like and shiny the two pack paint is. The option being a paint that needs a top-coat of lacquer. Is this going to turn out looking silly? Is there a product or method you would recommend?

Len

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Paint for hood.

Post by TWrenn » Tue May 12, 2020 8:38 am

As expensive as it is, I now prefer PPG's Concept, it sure puts out a nice finish, pretty easy to use, and seems to be
as close to "Model T black" as it gets. Something that small, you can use one of those Preval spray units with great success.
I've painted large parts of cars with it and they look as close to "pro shop" paint job as one can get for the money. Just a suggestion.
You might be able to have a local Auto paint supplier custom make the exact paint in a smaller, less expensive amount too.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue May 12, 2020 9:16 am

Some US brands and products we use may not be available in the UK.

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Tue May 12, 2020 9:29 am

True. But a Google search should get you what you want. Concept is just a "run of the mill" Urethane enamel. Anyone should
be able to produce it I would think. Good luck to you. I will admit also, in previous posts where one guy showed the excellent results from just a good old rattle can of appliance epoxy--I think Rustoleum brand, but there's others I'm sure...really did a heckuva job, and frankly I wouldn't hesitate to try it!

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 am

Whoops! Thought I was responding to Ien!! My bad! Hope he sees this all eventually!!

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by rickd » Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 am

Len, it sounds like you are looking for advice to give to your painter who is working on your Model T. I have used both acrylic lacquer and single stage urethanes. Lacquer is a multi coat process with in between sanding steps with a final careful buff. IMO it provides that old style look but it is a delicate paint surface and after a few years may start getting cracks in it. The urethane goes on glossy and responds well to careful buffing. Pretty shiny and a tougher surface, great for a driver car.
ps-my father was a career military man and I spent four years in the UK as a young man. Lived in Wembley Middlesex. Fond memories of our time there. All the best on your paint decisions.

Topic author
classicnvintage1
First Name: len
Last Name: doyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 tourer 1925 roadster

Post by classicnvintage1 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:29 am

Thank you Guys - I'm going to go for the PPG Concept solution, thanks for the advice.

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Post by Harry Lillo » Tue May 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Ask your paint supplier about other PPG lines they might carry as well.
I have used Concept and agree that it is nice paint to use.
I have also used their PPG Fleetline which is more economical and provides a lovely finish.
I don;t believe you have not mentioned the colour you are matching. Is it black or an improved Ford colour?
Your painter may also have a favorite type of paint he uses and may have the solvents and catalysts already which would save you money.
Harry

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Tue May 12, 2020 4:18 pm

There are many paints out now, doen't know what they use in England. But wanted to comment on Concept. Concept has a blue-based black that really matches the Model T Black. Most blacks are more brown, this one is Blue, I think it's 4100, but I cannot find a can to read the numbers. These wheels are done with concept. It was a cool day when I painted them, so the flow out was incredible. I don't think I could do that now on purpose!
Painted wheel forum.jpg
Painted wheel forum.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Virtus
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Robertson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Ford model tt 1921 right hand drive

Post by Virtus » Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 pm

I have just received my paint from Craftmaster in the uk. They list Ford Model T black and the later colours. This is coach paint and can be applied by brush or spray. I have used it in the past. Please see the Morris Commercial and showman's wagon which were brush painted 10 years ago and still look good.
Attachments
post-6059-0-60727100-1413925250_thumb.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic